PowerShell 7: Golang Compilation Super Laggy With Bitdefender Shield On. Any Ideas?

Windows Terminal especially. Golang is so slow not worth it with BitDefender shiel.

Easy test:

Turn BitDefender Shield off. Normal.

Turn BitDefender Shield off. Laggy command line activity in PS. Golang compilation super slow.

If I just use the regular Windows DOS command shell , it is now laggy. HOWEVER, Golang compilation is still super slow.

Normal Golang compilation is 1/2 second.

How do get a fix for this, or how do I add an exception to fix this? So far, my attempts at exceptions to the folder, Golang, etc. have no effect.

Answers

• Hello @jeffreywstevens,

Based on your description of the situation encountered, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I did that. I now have radio silence. No fix. No details. No help.

• Hi @jeffreywstevens,

I have noticed that the engineers have requested a Support Tool Log on December 16th on the open ticket, but haven't received a response from you since. After analyzing the logs, they will have a better understanding of the situation at hand and will proceed with the required troubleshooting steps.

You can generate a support tool log by following the instructions from this article:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

More information on how to submit the logs is available in their latest email sent to you on the aforementioned date. Kindly check your spam folder as well, in the event the message cannot be found in the inbox.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

• I have done that multiple times. I will do it again and see if it works this time.

• Indeed, apart from the most recent ticket I found, there is also a ticket raised previously, where the engineers have suggested a remote session and in their latest reply they wrote, I quote:

"It seems that in our last message we offered a remote session in order to properly investigate the issue you have encountered. I will provide you with the request again if by any chance you did not receive our message.

We would like to schedule a remote session with you in order to properly investigate the issue you have encountered.

Our team's availability is from Monday to Friday between 08:30 - 22:30 (10:30 PM) GMT.

Click here to see GMT in real-time: http://time.is/GMT

Please send us a reply with the date and time you'd like us to perform the remote session and I'll enter it into our schedule. If possible, try to give us a heads-up 12 hours in advance to make sure we have a spot available.

I'd really appreciate it if you included a phone number so we can call you before or during the remote session if necessary."

My recommendation would be to reply on this ticket with your availability, as it would be easier to troubleshoot this remotely. You should look for their response dated Tuesday, 6th December 2022 and take it from there. Any reply to that email will reopen the tichet and an engineer will be assigned on the case for you.

Regards

• acselandru432
    edited March 2023

Hello,

I see that this problem still persists. Simple "hello world" golang program, run in windows CMD,

takes almost 10 seconds with bitdefender SHIELD ON,

and with the SHIELD OFF at most 1 second

A workaround is to use visual studio code online (or github codespace to be able to use terminal). But we shouldn't be forced to use a remote environment.

• Hello @acselandru432,

As it can be noticed, we've seen this before and it's necessary to contact the Support engineers for further assistance, as specified in my above comments.

The first step would be to generate and send a Support Tool Log to our Support Teams. After analyzing it, the engineers will have a better understanding of the issue at hand and will provide further assistance, most probably during a remote session.

You can find the steps to generate a Support Tool log here:

After the Support Tool log is generated, kindly get in touch with our Support Teams and provide our colleagues with the required information for troubleshooting. They may also request your availability to schedule a remote session, if necessary.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

• Hi,

As suggested, I've been in contact with the Support Team, handing them any necessary log or information.

At the moment, my ticket is still in progress, but when I'll have a solution, I will post an update here.

• Thank you for keeping us posted @acselandru432 👍️

• Hello,

I have the exact same issue. Did you find a solution?

mac

• If I encounter any PowerShell or command line slowness impacting my work, I turn off the BitDefender Shield. It is not ideal or optimal, but it is the only thing that works. I have tried exceptions, etc., but nothing works at this point.

• I am studying programming and this is not an option for me. I could as well just cancel the subscription then. :D

Found another solution. Installed VS Code on WSL 2. Other people have mentioned Virtual BOx as well.

• acselandru432
    edited September 2023

The fix is still in development (my ticket was for windows 11). The support team told me I will be given feedback when a fix will be ready and I also test a quick "hello_world" go program every couple of months just in case (so I can update this thread).

For my personal usage, as mentioned before, github codespace remains the best alternative at the moment.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited September 2023

Thank you for sharing this insightful information with us @acselandru432 👍️

• acselandru432
    edited October 2023

While personally I haven't gotten any recent news regarding the ticket for this issue, I just ran the same small go test as before (on both win 10 and win 11) and it's definitely better.

My personal results (time for the test code to run completely, after hitting Enter):

With Shield OFF: ~1 sec

Before, with Shield ON: ~9 sec (if I remember correctly)

Now, with Shield ON: ~2 sec

Note: I also keep my OS updated, so I can't be sure if the issue/fix is 100% related only to Bitdefender Shield being ON or other things as well.