"Port scan blocked" Notification. What Is It?

Hi guys so today i found out through bitfinder that a port scan was blocked from a remote IP and then i saw this update log and when i checked i had many of these update logs that go back until dec 30. what is this? and is it harmful? and how can i remove it

Tagged:

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

The notification is sent by Bitdefender when the feature called "Port scan protection" in the Firewall module is enabled. "Port scan protection" detects and blocks attempts to find out which ports are open. Port scans are frequently used by hackers to find out which ports are open on your device. They might then break into your device if they find a less secure or vulnerable port. So, this is a normal behavior when this feature is enabled and a hacker scans the ports to find out which ports are open.

Regards.

• Thank you but what about the other stuff? the tool that was being updated.

• Gjoksi

Hello.

I guess you are talking about this updated "tool":

Well, those files are Bitdefender's threat definitions and they are downloaded every 1 hour. Nothing unusual with them.

Regards.

• Thank you so much, can you please elaborate on what that means? because i have plenty of them and some have different names or different labels but the are all "plugins" and some have the word "spy" .im sorry for my ignorant question im just worried lol

• Gjoksi

Hello again.

Don't let the (different) names worry you.

It's just Bitdefender using an unfortunate naming convention, nothing apart from that.

You're not the first to notice this. I think they should really change the names.

Once again, nothing to worry.

Regards.

• so, if i understood you correctly, these are basically files that combat spy and viruses, and they get updated regularly right? because at first i thought these are actual viruses or spy apps and bitdefenderis helping update them rather than remove them

• Gjoksi

yes, you are correct... those files combat malware (for example: spyware) and they get updated every one hour... cheers...

• Is there something that should be done? Is there a way whether I know why the hacked targeted me and whether there are vulnerable ports on my machine?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

There are a few ways to know why a hacker targeted you and whether there are vulnerable ports on your machine.

1) Look for unusual activity. If you've noticed any unusual activity on your computer, such as pop-up ads, slow performance, or unexpected programs, then it's possible that you've been hacked.

2)Scan your computer for malware. There are a number of free and paid tools that you can use to scan your computer for malware. If you find any malware, then you'll need to remove it immediately.

3) Check your firewall settings. Make sure that your firewall is enabled and that it's blocking all incoming connections that you don't recognize.

4) Look for open ports (search for port scanner on google to check for open ports). You can use a port scanner to see if there are any open ports on your machine. If there are, then it's possible that these ports are vulnerable to attack.

Here are some additional tips to help you protect your computer from hackers:

1) Keep your software up to date. Software updates often include security patches that can help to protect your computer from known vulnerabilities.

2) Use strong passwords. Your passwords should be at least 12 characters long and should include a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

3) Be careful about what websites you visit and what files you download. Only visit websites that you trust and only download files from reputable sources.

4) Use a firewall and antivirus software. A firewall can help to block unauthorized access to your computer, and antivirus software can help to detect and remove malware.

By following these tips, you can help to protect your computer from hackers and keep your data safe.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)