Firewall Permission Dialog Box Is Poorly Coded. Any Explanation?

When you set your firewall so it asks your permission when an app tries to acces network, things may go crazy.

If you immediately select "Allow" or "Block", you are fine. But if you don't, new(same) notifications keep stacking back to back, as long as you wait. 1 box per 1 seconds I guess.

So if you try to decide "should" I allow this app or now for few minutes. You'll have to keep fast-clicking allow button maybe hundreds of times so that notification disappears.

It would be cool if it doesn't stack up and if it still gona do that, it would be great if all other (same) notifications disappear after you Allowed or Blocked once.

Sample video:

Best Answer

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Hello,

I remember seeing this in the past and if I'm not mistaken, when the user restarted the computer, the problem disappeared. However, this is not the expected behaviour for the pop-up. We will have to reproduce this internally and I would kindly ask you to get in touch our engineers using one of the contact channels available at the link below and provide me with your ticket number, so I can push this forward:

Going forward, the engineers will require logs from the machine and provide further assistance on the open case.

Let us know how it goes and I'm looking forward to the ticket number.

And thank you for the insightful video.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Answers

• It gets stuck at this step, regardless of the browser or connection

• Ok do this: open the ticket without attaching the logs. But attach the screenshot instead and mention you could not upload them and they will offer an alternative.

Once the ticket is created, please provide me with the case number.

Thanks

• I've uploaded log to Google Drive and provided a link in ticket. No: 1008203612

• Thank you @Rasit,

Thank you for following up, our engineers are taking over.

Regards

• Rasit
    Rasit
    edited March 2023

They responded but didn't help.

They said that I can disable Alert Mode so no alert gonna appear... As if that's what I'm complaining about...

I don't think they really read what I wrote thoroughly

"Hello Arslan,

Thank you for the information provided.

I have also checked the logs.

The reason for the alert is due to the "Alert Mode" feature being turned on.

Please head to your firewall settings tab and turn "Alert Mode" off, this will not affect your security.

Have a good day ahead.

Stay safe.

Best regards,"

• @Alexandru_BD They don't even try to understand. What am I supposed to do now?

I replied "I don't complain about Alert Mode. I want that on but I want that to act correctly. Please read my first mail again."

They said:

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Bitdefender.

Alerts are shown each time an app tries to connect to the internet, this is what the alert feature will do.

If you have other questions, do not hesitate to reach us.

Have a good day ahead.

Stay safe.

Best regards,

Andrei R."

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2023

Hi @Rasit,

I'm sorry to hear this. One of our technical leads will get back to you asap and we'll fix this.

Thanky you for your patience and cooperation throughout this process.

Regards

• Today I've got an automated e-mail:

"Dear Raşit ***,

Our records indicate that you currently have an open Customer Care request with us, ticket no: 1008203612

As we have not heard from you in 3 days, we are in the process of closing the incident.

- If the situation has been corrected, please ignore this email and the ticket will automatically close with no further action from your side.

- If you still need additional information or the ticket implies you sending us back particular logs/files/documents, simply reply to this message with the requested information and your case will remain open.

Thankyou,

Bitdefender Customer Care Team"

Just FYI

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2023

Hi @Rasit,

This is indeed an automated message and can be ignored in this case, the engineers will get back to you asap.

Thank you for your patience and for following up on the matter.

Regards

• After 2 whole months, bug is still here and makes me wanna punch my laptop time to time.

• Hi @Rasit,

The engineers will get back to you on the open case shortly. Please stand by for updates and thank you for your patience.

Regards

• Rasit
    Rasit
    edited June 2023

3,5 months and counting...

This is not fun

youtube.com/watch?v=O_URECNwIc8

• Rasit
    Rasit
    edited June 2023

OMG I THINK IT'S FINALLY FIXED! They didn't tell me about it but I dont experience the same problem anymore

Edit: False alarm. I just restarted my computer to test again and I still experience the same problem. Idk what happened back there. I didn't get buggy dialog boxes for a few times, for some reason but not I have them again. I guess the bug got bugged huh...

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 2023

Hi @Rasit,

A fix for this Bitdefender behavior is still undergoing development. We do not have an estimated time for the release of the fix yet, but the Support engineers will contact you as soon as it's implemented by an automatic update of Bitdefender. Please keep in mind that all reported bugs require investigation time. Since product updates are usually released once a month it may take at least 1 month until a fix is implemented in the product - this does not include the debugging period.

As you can imagine, not all users are encountering this issue and in such cases, the reports must be analyzed punctually by the enginners as the root cause may be different from one case to another.

As suggested previously, the Alert Mode should be disabled in this scenario to avoid the overlapping notifications until this is sorted. Please note that, disabling this feature will not affect the firewall protection.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Alex

• Hi @Alexandru_BD ,

"Disabling Alert Mode because it wont affect firewall protection" is not a good solution because I want to specifically watch and control each program that tries to access internet in "real-time". That feature is why I've chosen your product over others.

I also considered your product in my current company, specifically for this feature because this is a nice feature in our current use case but this bug pulls me back. I know there are other software to do this but why would we use both your product and those at the same time, right?

I hope you understand,

Cheers

• Hello @Rasit,

It is not recommended to install other security solutions alongside Bitdefender, if this is what you are referring to. Having two or more security solutions installed at the same time can have a negative impact on your computer. The symptoms may include but are not limited to degraded performance, system crashes, and software errors. Detection can also be impacted, as both antiviruses will compete for the same resources.

Alert Mode does offer more control and it's nice to have indeed. But temporarily disabling it will not weaken protection, because the solution includes several layers (prevention, protection, remediation - to name a few).

The firewall is your gate keeper and will ensure your devices are safe. The security modules are designed in a specific way, so that IF a defense fails, another one takes its place.

For example, the firewall prevents the infection from entering the PC from the network, if the firewall fails, Advanced Threat Defense takes over and blocks dubious processes. If this module misses something, then the Antivirus will find any modification of files during scanning.

I understand these notifications pose an inconvenience to you, but in my opinion the only way to supress them is to temporarily disable the Alert Mode altogether, until this is sorted.

Regards,

Alex

• Thanks but I know that disabling those alerts wont affect my security in a bad way. That's not my concern.

I want to be able to watch and control every new internet access request in "real-time". That's why I don't disable the feature even tho this bug pose inconveniences.

Regards

• 7 months

• Rasit
    Rasit
    edited October 2023

Btw it sometimes doesnt provide the application's name. When you click "View application", it opens "This Pc/My Computer" window.

When I check notifications history, I see this:

• 9 months and counting

• Hi @Rasit,

I'm very sorry to hear this has happened to you. I got in touch with the Technical Team Leads and they will follow up asap.

Once again, thank you very much for your patience.

• It's been 11 months. Recently got an UI update but no bugfix...