How to turn off asking for master password every single time I reopen Chrome

I just migrated from LastPass to Bitdefender password manager but it literally asks for my master password every time I open Chrome.

My windows already has a password so I shouldn't have to do this every single time, might as well just use the auto fill if that was the case as I don't want to have to keep tying a password any time I want to use a password...

Best Answer

Answers

• I just loaded Bit Defender Password Manager and I have this constant request to open the Master Password everytime I want to access Chrome. This is August 19, 2022. Was this issue fixed ? If not I am going to cancel my membership.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited August 2022

Hi @senilecitizen

Please confirm that you have checked the Remember me box when you login. This will save the password until you restart your device or Logout of PM.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• January 26, 2023. Remember me works fine as long as that iteration of Chrome is open. When you start a new iteration, it asks yet again and for each subsequent closing and opening of Chrome. Any plans on fixing soon?

• I use Firefox and exactly the same thing happens even after ticking Remember me.

• Exactly the same with me 15/05/23 nothing has changed it would seem.... ticking the remember me box does nothing !! going to ask for a refund will just use google auto fill

• Hello @hiacekim,

I'll share with you a couple of insights on how the 'Remember me' feature actually works:

'Remember me' is displayed at the screen asking for the master password.

After checking it, you will not be required to enter the master password, as you will be logged in automatically.

Using 'Remember me' does not mean that you will never have to use the Master Password again. As it is easy to forget the master password, and due to the security concerns in case the device gets lost or stolen, the user will remain logged in for 72 hours, after that the master password will be asked for again. However, if you are using the browser or the application actively every day, the 72 hours window gets refreshed every 24 hours.

If you have inactivity lock with logout option enabled, then it is normal for the password to be asked again, since you are completely logged out of the account.

On mobile devices, the user is still required to enter PIN/biometrics, to ensure the device is in the correct hands. Note: If there are any security concerns about “Remember me’, you can use Inactivity lock with PIN unlock. This way, you can still use “Remember me”, but the extension will be locked when inactive, as an extra layer of security.

Now, there are a couple of questions to ask before concluding that the feature doesn't work as expected:

• Was the 'Remember me' box checked when logging in?
    • Did you log out manually from Password Manager? – if yes, that’s normal.
    • How long ago did you check 'Remember me'? – the feature is time limited to 72 hours.
    • Did you use the “Secure me” feature targeting the device with the issue? – if yes, that’s normal, as you were logged out.
    • Did you enable Inactivity lock with logout option? - if yes, as mentioned above, that is normal as you were logged out.
    • On mobile devices, are you asked for the master password, or PIN/biometrics? If PIN/Biometrics is requested, that’s normal, this is asked for to ensure the device is in the correct hands.

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• 22 Jan 2024 - I use a BitBox2, and have had it for about one year + - very happy with it, until the Master Password situation started about a week ago. I note that the initial questions started in April 2022, so this has been around 1yr 8mo - and the response was " known issue with Password Manager. It has been submitted and scheduled to be taken care of with the next release. Hang in there; it's getting close to being resolved". I would have to say that, if it has been around for about a couple of years, and hasn't been resolved, I am not impressed - this makes me wonder if I should be replacing Bitdefender with another provider.

Please - contact me and tell me what's going on with this. What do i do to get rid of the regularly recurring call for the MP - it happened to me at least half a dozen times this morning, each time i moved from one website to another. Daily is OK, 72 hours is fine, but switching from one tab to another and having the MP message jump up again is water torture.

I came to the Bitdefender 'community' at the recommendation of my son, who is the CIO at a multi-billion dollar corporation. I liked the concept of the BitBox, and was happy with the change until I met the MP requests. At first, things were fine, but the latest inundation has me using words I haven't used since my military days.

Please, please, please - contact me, bring me up to date, and I hope that there is a 'solution' that is available NOW - not when the fabled "next release" comes out in the "near future". I'm too old to wait for the "second coming".

Failure to do so will send me back to Malwarebytes, and my Bitbox going into retirement.

Thanks in advance -

Bernie Pregler

Windows 10 and 11 in equal quantities, some Chrome O/S. Predominantly Chrome browser. Almost all HP boxes of one vintage or another. Nothing "funny " or "exotic" - just pedestrian stuff. ISP is Rogers, formerly Shaw. Almost everything on UPS.

• I gave up waiting, RoboForm is a free alternative that works for me.

• Hello @BernieP and thanks for joining us here.

it happened to me at least half a dozen times this morning, each time i moved from one website to another - Just to clarify, after you've opened the Settings menu in Bitdefender Password Manager, the option at the very top says "Disable login tab on startup", have you checked that box as well?

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user