api.diagnostics.office.com Security Certificate Issue. Any Help?

robsue
edited March 2023 in Install & Updates

After a reboot, I often get a popup that asks if I want to install a security certificate. The certificate is issued by Bitdefender. I've tried installing, several times, but it's never made any lasting difference. What is it trying to tell me, and what should I do.

I am running a Windows 11 PC that's always kept up to date, with Office 365, that's always kept up to date and Bitdefender Total Security that's always up to date.

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Generate bitdefender BDsysLog: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1922/

Generate bitdefender support tool logs: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

Generate bitdefender connectivity logs: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/9689/

Share the logs & your query with bitdefender support team by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I have exactly the same problem as well as the same message, and I don't know if this certificate is official and valid.

• Flexx

Generate bitdefender BDsysLog: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1922/

Generate bitdefender support tool logs: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

Generate bitdefender connectivity logs: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/9689/

Share the logs & your query with bitdefender support team by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2023

Hello @robsue, @australopitheque,

Regarding the situation you have encountered, have a look at this thread here:

This can be solved by reinstalling the certificate remotely. Kindly get in touch with our Support engineers to schedule a remote session on the affected device and they will sort this out for you. You can reach them by choosing one of the available contact channels at the link below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

@Alexandru_BD , what causes this to happen, these certificate issues?

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Flexx
    edited March 2023

@Alexandru_BD, @Mike_BD you can ask @camarie to have a look at this post and provide information related to this.

Regards

• It's more complicated than it looks. That certificate is generated dynamically, when a possible malicious behavior is observed (e.g. the original certificate has some issues and validation fails). In this context, a blockpage cannot be inserted, so an untrusted certificate is generated to display a pop-up by which the user is notified about that original certificate. Even if that certificate is installed, after the service restart it will no longer be considered valid and that's why the error persists after the reboot. It continues to try to validate the original certificate and fails for a specific reason (which is unknown until looking at some logs).

I know this sounds confusing and this is why it's better to have the Support engineers handle it.

Regards

• Scott

Thank you, Alexandru. These things seem to come in groups, and for this issue(s) needing a remote session, had me a bit curious.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Indeed, it's something that pops-up sporadically and it's not encountered by all users. I have asked some questions and both the development teams and our support engineers asked for logs, so they could gather more information, so unfortunately it's not much we can do on the forum, all users encountering this should get in touch with the Support teams for accurate diagnosis and a fix.

Cheers

• Who is SaneBox.com?

Attila S. From BitDefenders Tech Support Line +1 (954) 414-9621

api.entitlement.office.com

Untrusted BitDefender CA 10/24/2022 to 10/25/2023

He said this is nothing more than an update for office bug that does not recognize BitDefenders CA certificate, but the instructions were for an IMAP account not an Exchange Account then once I confirmed I received the email he hung up. I have had two hang ups and three disconnects. He did not want to walk me through the process. I have wasted 5 hours on the phone trying to get a qualified person that can remedy the situation

How do I get qualified help?!

J.T.

• This is the link that was supposed to fix my problem.

The only way this remotely pertains to my situation is if their definition of AI is Absolute Idiocy. How does finding my IMAP server settings for my Exchange Account resolve this Untrusted Certificate Issue?

• Has a Malicious Website caused this Untrusted BitDefender CA Certificate Issue?

Has my Laptop been compromised?

Has Outlook and my Exchange Server Account been compromised?

Should I renew my 2 year subscription with BitDefender at the end of this month?

• Scott

@Alexandru_BD, do you have any follow-up thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you.

• The Security Alert Untrusted BitDefender CA pop up seems to appear when Outlook is opened. api.entitled.office.com so Microsoft Office (Outlook) seems to see the BitDefender Certificate as Untrusted.

What is causing this?

Is it a BitDefender Bug or is it a Malicious Exploit?

Is Microsoft responsible for the Fix?

• Hi @J.T.

I'm sorry to hear you have encountered this inconvenience. One of our technical leads will be assigned to your case, following its escalation to Tier 2 Technical. The engineer will get in touch with you in the shortest time possible and check for your availabilty to schedule a remote session, as this is necessary in order to troubleshoot the situation you have encountered. Kindly wait for our engineer's response.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards

• Alexandru_BD,

Since this week I am experiencing the same problem with Outlook (OS Win 10) as above, namely I have to Install the Certificate before I can view the email message (screen shot of those certs installed to date). This am I chatted with agent Florin (Ticket No 1008244293) and at that time he did not seem to be aware of these specifics except that there seemed to be certificate issues happening. If it takes an engineer to remotely fix on one-to-one basis the problem could well be bigger than engineers availability.

• Xandru,

Could this possibly be what is causing this problem?

I have sent a request to Florin to schedule a remote session on Monday so hopefully they can resolve it.

But how do I determine the scope of the compromise, and how do I prevent it from happening again. Should I be looking for another vendor?

J.T.

• Hi @J.T.

I have noticed our engineers confirmed the date and time for the remote session. They will provide further clarification during the call and you can share your findings here afterwards, if you wish.

Regards

• Hi all,

I've had this same issue a few times, with "api.diagnostics.office.com". I found this on Reddit, which might help

https://www.reddit.com/r/BitDefender/comments/11byuka/outlook_email_certificate_issued_by_bitdefender/

I've tried it, but as the issue happens sporadically, I can't be certain if it's worked. Fingers crossed! :)

I hope we get some answers from the engineers, I'm not that thrilled about having a remote session to fit it.

• Unfortunately, this hasn't worked - I got the dreaded "api.diagnostics.office.com" dialog this morning. I just click through for now. Hopefully a fix is forthcoming

• Hi @johnnyBionic,

The Support engineers are the only ones that can help here. Apparently, we can't fix this on the forum and a remote session will be required.

Regards

• Thanks @Alexandru_BD, I appreciate the reply - I'll see if I can sort something out with them

• Hi , my friend have the same problem since he installed Bitdefender with win 10. Could you help ?

• Flexx

Kindly wait for the admins to respond back since they are not available during the weekends.

Regards

• Thanks, any chance to have someone help with th issue?

• Alexandru

I have not received any resolution from tier 2 and it has been a while. I hope they have not closed the case without a solution. Can you check into this for me.

Thanks,

J.T.

• Hello @J.T.

I have asked my colleagues to get back to you as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for the delayed response, this has proven a bit more challenging to resolve and your ticket has been further escalated to Tier 3 in the meantime.

Regards

• Hi, I have a family subscription, and my wife has just let me know that she's having the same problem (exactly the same messages, also up to date on Office, Windows 11 and BitDefender). The above messages seem to suggest that we need to get in touch with an engineer.

Is this correct? If we do need to get in touch with an engineer, can you tell me how we do that, and how long we should expect a resolution to take?

Regards,

Steve Birch

• Same issue on 3 of my computers, all up to dates. Win10 and Win11 with Office and Bitdefender. What is the latest update and timeline.

• Hello @SteveBirch, @Danhaw and thanks for joining the conversation here.

The engineers will have to schedule a remote session to resolve this, until a permanent fix is found. Click on the link below and choose your desired contact channel (chat, phone or email/ticket):

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

They will advise on the next steps to take.

Unfortunately, this is not something that we can resolve on the forum.

Regards

• Hi all, was there a resolution to this problem? I am seeing the same alert.

• Hi @AndrewM,

No resolution/workaround yet, usually it can be fixed by the Support engineers, so it's necessary to get in touch with them to sort this out.

Regards

• Hi,

I appear to be having the same issue as a lot of others!

Come on BitDefender Team, time to act!

• Flexx

Kindly contact the bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage where you can get in touch with support representative either by email, chat or over a call.

Alternatively, you can also share your query with bitdefender support team by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

Regards

• I'll quote myself again. There is no workaround yet and this situation can only be resolved remotely by the Support engineers.

Thank you for your understanding. 👍️

Regards

• First off, why is this still an issue after 3 months?

So I called in...was on hold for 20+ minutes...rep told me she'd send me an email with instructions...when I pointed out that I can't open my email because of this issue, she told me to disable Bitdefender. When I asked why I would do that if this were a potentially valid threat, she replied that Windows Defender automatically kicks in when I turn off BD. I then asked "so why would I pay for BD if WD can take care of things?" She basically said only that BD is more configurable. Hmmm. Glad she told me my subscription expires soon.

Regardless, when I told her I'd wait to receive the email before hanging up, she said her system wouldn't generate one until AFTER we hung up and that it would be in the email. I explained that if I didn't GET the email for any number of reasons I didn't want to waste even MORE time having to call in again, re-explaining etc. so I wanted a case number before hanging up. I had to explain this several times that and only after she realized I wouldn't let go until I had one she somehow miraculpusly gave me one. But based on my experience thus far I really can't assume it's valid and that she didn't just make it up. Hmmm. Glad she told me my subscription expires soon.

I was able to access the email form my ISPs site and followed the instructions and am now staring at a screen that says "Running diagnostics tool, this may take a while..." however, after running for 30+ minutes now - it's still on 0%. Gosh, I wonder how long their 'a while' is. But FWIW - the case number she gave me was correct. Though it's somewhat troubling that she felt the need to lie to me about her system not generating one.

So finally, why is this still an issue after 3 months?