How to install Bitdefender on Windows

Andy_BD
Andy_BD ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Install & Updates
How to install Bitdefender on Windows (full guide here)

This article guides you on how to install Bitdefender on Windows.  Before proceeding with the installation, make sure your PC meets the system requirements.

You can also watch the steps presented in the video below.

Comments

• Help - can't install bitdefender on my pc. Going through the steps, and get up to the install button -- after that nothing follows the ****** . I never get the pop up that allows me to save the installation files and the run them.

• Hello! How do you do sir? I wanted to try using Bitdefender antivirus free edition. But during the installation I faced some issues. When the installation was close to 90% it performs a rollback action due to installation error. And after that it says Error: Installer initialization failed or something. Before installing bitdefender I have already deleted other antvirus software and even manually checked and deleted the remaining folders. Can you plzz help solving this problem? Thank you.

• Hello @Hailboy_12345 ,

Please try these troubleshooting steps.

1. Restart your computer. (If you have tried this already skip to 2)
    2. Delete the Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition download file and download a new one (https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html)
    3. If the error still persists please contact bitdefender support at https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

You can also @ me again and I may be able to help further.😀

• Hello @MikeA ,

Did you get a error message or code? If not mind sending a screenshot or a video of what is going on?

How to Screenshot in Windows: Windows Key + "Print Screen" key (PRT SCN)

How to Screen Record in Windows: Windows Key + G then you can choose the start recording button or press Windows Key + Alt + R while Game Bar is open.

You can also contact Bitdefender Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

• Hello @possiblydavid,

I have already tried those steps. Still no solution. The same problem persists. At 1st I tried to contact their support team. But they told me that for free antivirus I have to come here to seek solution. They only provide support for paid products.

• Hey @Hailboy_12345 ,

I just emailed you via our support center. I'll assist you over there.

Looking forward to your reply!

• So I downloaded the installation setup, once I open in it. Nothing happens. Not even an error message.

• I have the same issue as Dustey. I download the install package and when it's executed it shows up as a process, in task manager, as well as another process 'bddeploy.exe. They run for about a minute and then disappear. Never actually launches the installer. 😫

Any assistance in sorting this matter out would be greatly appreciated.

• Hello can I instal bitdefender antivirus on Windows XP? I have problems.

• Ich habe zwei Notebooks mit WIN 10 und möchte beide mit BitDefender ausstatten und bald ein drittes Notebook auch mit BitDefender zum Leben bringen. Das hauptthema für mich ist das MS-Konto so auszustatten das alle drei gut zusammen leben und alle drei gleich gesteuert und geholfen werden und tragen den gleichen Schlüssel.Ist es machbar und sinvoll?

Patrick Forkin.

• Das Konzept eines Forum für dieses Thema ist für mich sehr wichtig und ich hoffe das der Weg richtig ist.

Patrick Forkin..

• Thanks for this video. I was wanted to use bitdefender free version in my pc. As I want to check is that perfectly work on my pc. After that I will make decision to install the paid version.

• Jenifer1
    Jenifer1
    edited November 2020

Still facing error, after installing it nothing happens I am at working place at want to use this for saving my data of my website.

• Can someone let me know if there's WordPress plugin, I want to use this functionality for my website.

• Steck1108
    Steck1108 Defender of the month

Thank you for your help. It's a Free version, but the service has ended on December 31, 2021, is that okay? Existing users should also be suspended on June 30, 2022. For existing users of the Free version, I think there was an announcement that they would purchase a total security license at a discount.

• Other people have commented and I too have the same issue. Support center does not help. A waste of money.

So I downloaded the installation setup, once I open in it. Nothing happens. Not even an error message.

• 🤬d d

• sois malos de cojones

• Habrá que pedir el reembolso a Amazon , no hay forma humana de instalarlo

• Hello @Esbaratao,

Could you please write in English and tell us what error message you have encountered during activation? Also, please specify if the purchase was made at the official Bitdefender Amazon store, as not all marketplace sellers are affiliated with Bitdefender.

Thank you.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• k70
    k70 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Installing bitdefender from bitdefender central doesn't work on any of my computers.Used to work flawless.Now it doesn't.I can download the install file,double click,pc starts doing something for a few moments,then nothing happens,no screen,no message,it just stops working.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

@k70 are you getting any sort of error message? Does the stub installer download, then an error when Bitdefender tries to download the security software, or in running the setup?

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• k70
    k70 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

@Scott Hi Scott.When running the setup.For a moment the harddrive sounds like it is installing,then it stops.No messages.Tried on desktop and laptop.Used this method many times with no problem until yesterday.

• Scott
    edited September 2022

@k70 if you've previously had Bitdefender installed on those devices, I would suggest running the Uninstaller to make sure any previous remnants are deleted. Delete any of the previous BD installers. Empty the Recycle bin.

Then do the restart. Confirm all the BD files are deleted (I've had some left in Windows 11 before) in Program files, Hidden files Users/ App Data/ Local and Roaming. Empty the recycle bin.

Then go into Safe Boot (msconfig) but first, if you have any Pro version of Windows installed, disable Bitlocker, otherwise you would need your key to get back to your normal Windows desktop.

Delete %temp% files and Prefect by right-clicking the start button and Run, and typing in those commands in the Run box. Then right-click the start button and Run, then type msconfig to load and disable safe boot. Restart your device.

Now, try going back into your Central account and "Install protection on a new device/on this device," your version of BD, and see if it installs for you.

Let us know your results.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• k70
    k70 ✭✭✭

@Scott...Ok it's fixed,thank you.

Here's what i did...Uninstalled BD normally,restarted.Uninstalled BD agent.Used the BD uninstall tool,restarted again.Deleted the files as you mentioned,also found some leftovers from BD in "PROGRAM DATA",deleted those.Downloaded the executable from BD central and it installed with no problem.

Hope that will help others with the same problem too. :)

• Scott
    edited September 2022

@k70 Thank you for posting back the steps that worked for you. Indeed, on a high-profile thread like this one, it could absolutely help someone in the future.

Cheers, and have a great weekend :)

• k70
    k70 ✭✭✭

@Scott...Have a great weekend,and thank you for your assistance. :)

• @k70 my question is that can bitdefender detect extension virus, mean that virus which has authority to change the extension into some awkward extension that file become unaccessible...

• thank you for your assistance

• I have a new computer. how do I load bitdefender into it??

Ithink IJ have ijt in my laptop but can not figure out how to access it.

thanks for any help.

I am old and not too smart so please try to keep it simple.

txs

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited February 2023

Hello @pickman43,

As you already have an active Total Security license, to install Bitdefender on another device simply sign in to your Bitdefender Central account and then go to the My Devices section on the left side of the Bitdefender Central webpage. Do this if you are keeping your existing devices and wish to cover an additional device. If you wish to transfer your protection to a new device, follow these steps: I changed my device. How do I transfer Bitdefender to my new device?

Should you simply wish to add a new device next to the existing ones, in the My Devices panel, click + ADD DEVICE

A new window will pop up. Choose the Bitdefender product you want to install, then select Other devices

Select one of the three options to send a Bitdefender download link to another device:

• QR code – Open your smartphone’s or tablet’s camera to scan the QR code.
    • Copy link – Copy to clipboard the download link and share it in a direct message.
    • Email link – Enter a valid email address to email the link to any of your devices.

Open the link on the device you want to protect. Click DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL and follow the on-screen steps to install Bitdefender.

Note: The download link is available for 24 hours. If the link expires, you can generate a new one by repeating the above procedure.

You have one more slot available out of 5. Let us know how it goes.

Regards

• Hi Lucyoscar,

thank you for trying to help me, I am a bit to old to understand all this and can not understand why Bitdefender is so complicated to install. My older security expires tomorrow and I hope my new order will follow automatically if not I guess I am a bit in trouble. Thanks again for trying to help me. Regards

Midge

• Hi @Midge,

I have noticed that you currently have 2 protected devices, was the installation successful on both? Do you have any additional devices you need to protect? Let us know and we'll do our best to help.

Regards

• yes, both my devices are on my latest Bitdefender purchase, however I still have one VPN which will expire in April 2023. Do I still need this or should I erase that VPN?

Also I get constant reminders that my iPhone is compromised, do I really need to use my Finger print or a passcode to avoid that?

• Hi @Midge,

You can still use that VPN, it's not necessary to delete it from your account. When you also have a separate Premium VPN subscription, in the event the antivirus package that contains a Premium VPN expires before, for example the Premium Security, the benefits of the Premium subscription can still be used.

In the event you get the "At risk" message for the iOS device in Central, it's possible that Web Protection is not enabled. You can check this by accessing the app on your iPhone.

• Sorry, why can't I submit a new post? I explained the issue I am having, but I am getting blocked by Cloudflare after clicking 'Post Comment'. What could I be doing wrong?

• Hi @Cindernat,

Make sure you are not inserting things such as cmd(.)exe or any other commands, as they might get blocked by the forum's keyword security measures. Or, posting subsequent comments in a very short period of time could also trigger the antispam defenses. We're running a fortress here you see 😄

I can see that the above comment was posted successfully though.

Let me know what you wish to post exactly, you can also PM and I'll have a look.

Thanks

• I am having difficulties in getting Bitdefender Premium Security working on my computer using Windows 11.

I seem unable to get the download to work. I currently have Bitdefender Total Security should this be deleted first.

I am not particularly good with a PC so if you could point me towards a simple set of instructions I would be grateful. This new software seems very complicated to install.. Please help me

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

@tonyevans

Hello.

The Bitdefender Premium Security suite includes these programs/services:

• Bitdefender Total Security (Bitdefender Total Security for Windows, Bitdefender Antivirus for macOS and Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android and iOS)
    • Bitdefender Premium VPN (For Windows, macOS, Android and iOS)
    • Bitdefender Password Manager (For Windows, macOS, Android and iOS) and
    • Bitdefender Premium Priority Support

There is no standalone program called Bitdefender Premium Security.

It is only a suite of different products/services.

Since you already have Bitdefender Total Security installed on your Windows device, there is no need to download and install Bitdefender Total Security again on your Windows device.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2023

Hello @tonyevans

Your previous Total Security license is still valid until 2023/06/18 and you have also activated the Premium Security subscription in your Central account and this is valid until 2024/03/28.

The Central account can accommodate multiple subscriptions with the scope to protect more devices and the two licenses will overlap until 2023/06/18 when the previous license expires. I have noticed that your devices are still protected by the Total Security license, thus if you wish to move them to Premium Security, you can reallocate them manually by following the instructions from the article below:

But the issue with overlapping is that you will lose aproximately 2 months validity either way. If you move the devices from Total Security, the license will run "empty" until its expiration, because it will no longer protect any devices. If you don't move the devices, Premium Security is already active and this means that it will run for two months without covering any devices. However, you will still be able to make good use of the included Password Manager and the Premium VPN from this package.

In this scenario, I would advise the following: you can contact the Support teams and inform them you have upgraded your protection to the Premium Security suite, but you still have some validity left on the previous license (TS) and this could not be cumulated automatically during the activation of Premium Security, because the licenses are not identical. So, you can ask our representatives to remove the Total Security license from your Central account completely, and add its remaining validity to Premium Security. This way, no validity will be lost.

Should you wish to do this, simply click on the link below to choose your desired contact channel:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Regards