How can they tell I'm not in the country?

I thought one of the main attractions was that you could connect to a server in a particular country and access content that is restricted to that area?

So why when I'm outside the UK but my phone is connected to a UK server via your VPN does the National Lottery still know I'm outside the UK??

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited April 2023

Even though you are using a VPN, there is no VPN provider that can provide you 100% guarantee that your original IP cannot be revealed. And if your original IP is revealed, it is easy to figure out from which country you belong.

You can read some articles provided by the VPN service providers on how even if you are using VPN service your true location can still be tracked.

https://clearvpn.com/blog/can-you-be-tracked-with-a-vpn/

https://surfshark.com/blog/can-you-be-tracked-if-you-use-a-vpn

Also some websites have a technology integrated called Anti-VPN mechanisms primarily which works by checking visitors IP addresses against blacklists of known VPN addresses. Since VPN generally use known data centers to host their servers, it's not very hard to determine the IP ranges they own.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thanks Flexx.

So what's the point of a VPN then??

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Let me provide you some additional information. Bitdefender VPN uses the engine/ server provided by hotspot shield.

More information can only be provided by bitdefender support.

Kindly contact the bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage where you can get in touch with support representative either by email, chat or over a call.

Alternatively, you can also share your query with bitdefender mobile support team by dropping them an email at bms@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thanks Flexx👍️

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited April 2023

Well, in a nutshell, the main purpose of a VPN is to have an invisibility cloak when surfing the internet. Accessing Geo-restricted content is a bonus, but may not always work, because some websites can detect if you are using a VPN connection and might display errors or block access.

A VPN or Virtual Private Network allows you to connect to the Internet by the means of an encrypted and secure tunnel. All your traffic stays private and anonymous. The Bitdefender VPN secures your internet connection across multiple platforms (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS), so you stay protected every time you connect to unsecured Wi-Fi in airports, shopping malls, cafés, or hotels. This way, unfortunate situations such as personal data theft or attempts to make your device’s IP address accessible to hackers can be avoided.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user