VPN app - how does it determine Public vs. Home Wifi ?

I'm using the Bitdefender VPN app on my Android phone. I want it to auto-connect when not on my home network, regardless of whether it is "secure" or not. For example, even when on a "secure" Wifi network of a hotel, I want the VPN to connect automatically.

There is a feature called "Auto-connect on public Wi-Fi", but I'm not sure how the app determines whether a network is public, unsecure, or "home". I haven't found a way to indicate which Wi-Fi is my home one.

Does anyone have a clue about this ?

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Kindly contact the bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage where you can get in touch with support representative either by email, chat or over a call.

Alternatively, you can also share your query with bitdefender mobile support team by dropping them an email at bms@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hi,

Bitdefender Wi-Fi Security Advisor analyzes how secure a wireless network is, and when necessary, it recommends you to use Bitdefender VPN. Bitdefender Wi-Fi Security Advisor monitors the following networks: Home Wi-Fi, Office Wi-Fi, Public Wi-Fi.  Usually, public wireless networks are more likely to be unsafe since sometimes they do not require a password for login, and if they do, the password could be made available to anybody who wants to connect. Moreover, they may be malicious or honeypot networks.

The app determines that you are using a public Wi-fi according to the location.

Here's an article about the Auto-connect feature on Android (specifically for Android 11, but it explains how the auto-connection is made using the background location):

I hope the information is useful.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user