Bitdefender Internet Security prevents installation of PowerShell VS code extension.

Enrico Massone
edited May 2023 in General Topics

Hello,

It seems that Bitdefender Internet Security prevents the installation of the official VS code extension for PowerShell (PowerShell/vscode-powershell: Provides PowerShell language and debugging support for Visual Studio Code (github.com))

I have already created a github issue on their side, where all the details and repro steps can be found: Bitdefender Internet Security prevents to install the VS code extension properly · Issue #4561 · PowerShell/vscode-powershell (github.com)

My feeling about this is that this is a false positive from Bitdefender Internet Security.

Comments

• Hello @Enrico Massone,

Based on your description of the situation encountered, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact channels available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Thanks for replying @Alexandru_BD

I'll try to ask to the Technical Support Team and I'll write some updates here for future readers.

Regards

• You are most welcome @Enrico Massone, I appreciate if you could share your findings with the community as well, so we may help other users that might encounter this situation in the future.

Best regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hello, the Technical Support Team investigated this issue and confirmed this is a false positive.

The detection will be removed in a future update of the product.

Thanks for helping.

Kind regards.

Enrico.

• Pmc
    Pmc TSD
    edited July 2023

I have disabled Powershell completely since the DoD of UK, NZ and the USA have recognized the potential remote execution of malicious code residing in memory. Especially because it can execute an obscure malicious code to the vulnerable computer/server by bypassing the security policies. We had cases of infection and have taken the appropriate measures to block and disable completely PowerShell, because it is a threat to National Security. Especially in situations where Powershell is run with -executionpolicybypass parameter. This is not good.