AMTSO - phishing test

Hi Guys,

I'm new using Bitdefender and tried to look for a trusted site where I can test if opening a phishing URL would be blocked, I've heard AMTSO is fine for that. I'm using Bitdefender Premium for now and unfortuantely I passed the phishing test when trying to open a url via AMTSO, Bitdefender didn't engage. (For other test on AMTSO, Bitdefender interefered and couldn't download a test malicious file, etc.) Real time protection and all features enabled on my Google Chrome, Win 10.

I'd like to hear your thoughts before making a purchase for the premium version of Bitdefender. Thanks :)

https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Hello.

I went here:

to test Bitdefender Total Security build 26.0.35.174 and here are the results:

• Detects manually downloaded malware -> malicious webpage/file blocked
    • Detects potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) -> malicious webpage/file blocked
    • Detects compressed malware -> malicious webpage/file blocked
    • Detects drive-by downloads of malware -> malicious webpage/file blocked
    • Detects phishing pages -> malicious webpage/file NOT blocked
    • Is connected to a cloud-based lookup system -> malicious webpage/file blocked

So, Bitdefender failed only on detecting phishing pages.

Just a note that "Phishing protection" was enabled.

Regards.

@Flexx @Alexandru_BD Any explanation on this result on detecting phishing pages? Thanks.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@Gjoksi, my bitdefender is able to block the phishing test page of AMTSO

One more antimalware testing website alongside AMTSO is EICAR

https://www.eicar.org/download-anti-malware-testfile/

Both AMTSO and EICAR are used to test antimalware functionality and all antimalware should pass these test in order to get certified properly.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Gjoksi

@Flexx

This is strange.

On Microsoft Edge, Bitdefender BLOCKS the page:

But, on Mozilla Firefox Bitdefender does not block the page, as already stated from the screenshot above.

Regards.

• Flexx

I use google chrome and it blocks in it. Let me give it a try in mozilla firefox and get back to you.

Regards

• Flexx
    edited May 2023

As checked, bitdefender is blocking the phishing page in mozilla firefox also for me.

Regards

• geonosis04
    edited May 2023

Thanks all for your replies, I wonder what the block depends on, considering the above disrepancies.. :)

Also, as for the EICAR link, it blocked it, but whenever I downloaded the test AV via Android - Google Chrome browser, it passed (Bitdefender also installed on my android phone.)

• Hi @geonosis04,

I think on Android it depends whether you have Web Protection enabled or not, and perhaps some permissions might also influence this.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Flexx

Have you checked the testing on https://www.wicar.org/test-malware.html

The website is safe and is used for antimalware testing alongside with AMTSO & EICAR.

Regards

• A mí me pasa lo mismo, bitdefender pasó todas las pruebas de descargas de archivos bloqueándolas correctamente, Bitdefender solo falló en la detección de páginas de phishing. Tengo Bitdefender Premium, así que eso es extraño. No tengo ninguna extensión de bitdefender habilitada porque creo que el antivirus en sí es más que suficiente, pero ese no fue el caso con la prueba de phishing. A mí me pasa lo mismo, bitdefender pasó todas las pruebas de descargas de archivos bloqueándolas correctamente, Bitdefender solo falló en la detección de páginas de phishing. Tengo Bitdefender Premium, así que eso es extraño. No tengo ninguna extensión de bitdefender habilitada porque creo que el antivirus en sí es más que suficiente, pero ese no fue el caso con la prueba de phishing.

• Gjoksi

@David22

Hello.

I already answered your question in your post here (just click on "View Post"):

Regards.