Does bitdefender cache scanned files if I stop a scan early?

I haven't done a full scan on my pc for way too long, and started one yesterday. Bitdefender is taking quite a while scanning the large amounts of files I have, and after 24 hours is still going. Its scanning speed has slowed down to a crawl.

From other forum posts I've heard Bitdefender makes a cache of safe files it has already scanned, allowing it to scan quicker next time. Will it still do that if I manually stop it or does it only cache files if it fully completes the scan?

I'm asking because I want to try restarting the scan to see if that improves speed, but I'm scared it might not cache, making me basically throw away all the hours of progress.

Answers

• Hello @Cordelia and welcome to the Community!

Indeed, with every system scan, Bitdefender will index the files that have already been scanned, and the scan time will greatly decrease. If the scan is postponed, the files already scanned will be indexed and you can resume it from there. However, if the scan is stopped altogether, it won't take off from the same point and a new scanning process will begin, as expected.

As the below article explains, the speed of a System Scan depends on many factors such as system specifications, large volumes of data, the computer resources in use by another software, if it’s the first scan since installing Bitdefender, and most importantly, the number of archives & over-compressed files/backups. You can run the scan in high priority mode for better speed:

Kindly be advised that this may require good system resources.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Hello.

Haven't done a Full System Scan in months, so i just did a Full System Scan on my laptop and here is the result:

So, it took 50 minutes to scan the whole laptop of 79.5 GB, including the Windows files, program files, data files (documents, pistures, videos) etc. on my laptop's SSD drive.

Must say that in my case, "Scan task priority" for both System Scan and Quick Scan is set to "High", which takes much more resources (CPU, RAM, disk, power) than "Low" and "Auto", but decreases the time needed for the scan process to finish.

To do that, Open your Bitdefender program, go to Protection -> Antivirus -> Open -> Scans -> System Scan, click on the three dots ••• button on the right next to System Scan, click on "Edit", change the "Scan task priority" to "High", click "Next" and "Save".

Also, do the same steps for "Quick Scan", change the "Scan task priority" to "High".

Regards.