BitDefender blocking my mobile bank app

Staci C
edited May 2023 in Mobile Security

Is there a way to whitelist my mobile bank app? When bitDefender is on my phone, it won't let it connect.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

If you want to explain your query to bitdefender support, upload the sample to google drive and share the google drive link with bitdefender support by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and tell them to share the same with malware researchers.

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello @Staci C,

Are you using a VPN connection when accessing your banking app? I'm asking this because in this scenario it might be the other way around and the banking app may block the connection.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Thank you @Alexandru_BD VPN is off. I will send in the query. This seems like a pretty mainstream need, so am confused why so hard to solve.

• TU @Flexx ! I will send in the query. This seems like a pretty mainstream need, so am confused why so hard to solve - or even why an issue...having a lot of problems in 2-factor authentication getting into my bank!

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

I have 2 (two) mobile banking apps installed on my mobile phone: 1. mBanka for individual users and 2. mBankaCo for business users, released by the same bank that i'm client and Bitdefender Mobile Security never blocked them, never had issues with them.

Regards.

• @Staci C I found your open ticket and I'll ask our colleagues from the Support teams to have a look asap.

Thank you

• I also had trouble logging into my banking app when the VPN was connected. Also the VPN connection stop IOS update. When I switch to Mobile Security my banking app began working properly and IOS updates continue without interruption.'

So given thay, how if at all can I have VPN connected as still use my banking app? It's a pain to turn it off then turn it back on again to use VPN

• Hi @Helpless in Ohio,

The banking app might be blocking the VPN connection. This could be related to an additional verification process on the bank side, where if a secure environment such as Safepay or let's say a VPN encryption is being used, it triggers some warnings on their end. I don't think all banks require this, but there are cases where, due to the over vigilance of several banks, connecting a VPN for example often triggers fraud warnings when you use it to conduct your online banking. This would be my best guess.

Here you will find some information on why some financial institutions won't let you use VPN technology:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/why-do-some-banks-not-allow-me-to-log-on-through-a-secure-vpn/

I'm not sure if this applies in your case, but it's worth taking into consideration. A good way to find out would be to test other VPNs as well and check if the banking website opens with them. Otherwise, you will have to turn it off and on again. Regarding the iOS updates, it's best to apply them with the VPN turned off.

Regards,

Alex