my vpn is not connecting

I can not get my vpn to connect. It has been over 30 minutes

Answers

• I have the same problem.is there a fix i can do

• My VPN will not connect sometimes, Why?

• Has anybody in this forum only starting having VPN issues after updating windows? It was working perfectly fine yesterday, but stopped connecting afterwards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 21

Hello,

Based on my findings, there has been a temporary technical issue with the VPN yesterday evening, but this was resolved shortly after it was found and the VPN should work as expected now. Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

Thanks

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I have reported the same issue for at least the past 4 days since I came home from holiday. I was told this was a known issue and would be resolved but it still seems to be ongoing. On iMac and everything else seems to be working, just no connection for VPN.

• Hi @fisherman7071,

Any symptoms you can share, error messages, connection behavior, is it on/off most of the time, does it connect at all or does it stay in the connecting/disconnecting state without actually doing anything? Does it happen with all locations (if you use Premium) and have you tried to switch networks and protocols? Do you have an open case with the Support teams?

Thanks!

• Hi,

Yes there is an error message and it stays in connecting state. I have tried other locations and networks and protocols as per telephone conversations with support and have an open case with support teams. They are saying that it is a known problem and they are working on a resolution which may take some time for investigation. "Since product updates are usually released once a month may take at least one month until a fix is implemented in the product, not including debugging period"

• still having the VPN error code 9 on my phone and my desktop.

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello

To try to help you, I suggest you consult the support articles below:

If your problem persists you can contact the Bitdefender support from the page below:

Follow the on-screen instructions and select the desired communication channel (chat, phone or email). For a quick contact, use the chat.

If you opt for email contact, you will need to fill out a form and then receive an email with an incident ticket number related to your request.

Please keep us informed.

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.70 GHz

Bitdefender Premium Security Plus

• Hi @JayRe,

Here's a list of possible causes:

• No Internet – Make sure your device is connected to the Internet with a fast and stable connection.
    • Firewall – Check that your firewall isn’t blocking the VPN. If you’re not sure, look in your router’s manual, contact the manufacturer or your Internet provider.
    • Another VPN or Proxy – If you’re running another VPN or Proxy, disable it when trying to connect.
    • Public Wi-Fi (like in a hotel, school, or office) – Contact the network administrator to see if they can change the firewall settings and allow the VPN connection.
    • Port 443 is blocked – Port 443 UDP must be open for Bitdefender VPN to work. Access your router’s settings by typing its IP address into a web browser (refer to your router’s manual if necessary), find “Port Forwarding” or a similar section, and ensure Port 443 with UDP protocol is allowed. Save settings, then restart router and computer.

And troubleshooting steps you can follow:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/11311/

If these don't fix the issue and reinstalling the VPN also doesn't help, kindly reach out to Bitdefender Support for specialized assistance.

Regards,

Alex

• well seems I am not the only one having issues on this matter. I really like to get this fixed. Since now I am paying for a service I cannot used. My other Bitedefender programs are working fine, I have used this service for many years. I am disppointed that this seems to be a problem for so long.

• I keep getting this message; I'm a premium member, and I've already refreshed my internet connection and have properly uninstalled the BitDefender VPN, before reinstalling it. Same issue. Is this a service issue, or individual? I'm not receiving any specific error numbers, just that it's a repeated timeout every time I try to connect.

• Same issue here. Error 9 and time out error. Can not get locations to load. Restarted my phone, uninstalled and re-installed, checked settings, cleared cache. Worked fine this morning. Don't know what to do. Seems it's a Bitdefender VPN issue.

• Hello,

Can you tell me if this happens on any server you choose, including on Automatic, or only when connecting to specific servers? Also, try another protocol, especially openvpn. And what vpn version do you have?

This is just my assumption, but it could be possible that the ISP is blocking it, or the network connection is very weak. If this is caused by the ISP, openvpn should do the trick.

Regards,

Alex

• Hello,

There was an outage yesterday and the servers were offline for about 3 hours. Can you check if the VPN is connecting successfully now?

Thanks

• Hello,

Yes it is working fine now. Thanks for the reply. It would cycle connected and not connected then those errors popped up. But it's working fine now. I can select any location and double hop too. So it was down for a while? Was it maintenance or another issue.....

• Hello,

Good to know, thanks for confirming. Yes, based on my findings it was down for about 3 hours. There was a provider issue and the VPN services were unavailable. From what I understand, the VPN teams managed to fix this in good time.

• Hi, it's working — has been for a few days; I've just been busy as of late, apologies. It was down for some hours on the day I sent that report in, but all is well. Thank you.