System Scan Won't Scan Memory, Cookies, Or Registry

With Bitdefender v10 I run a full system scan, and a deep system scan. In both cases, Bitdefender will not check memory, cookies, or registry keys.

I am using engine version 7.20801.

From the following log, you can see that Bitdefender is set up to check the memory, cookies and registry, but you can also see that it is not doing so:

//-----------------------------------------------------------------

//

// Product BitDefender Antivirus v10

// Product 10.2

//

// Created on: 04/09/2008 03:00:02

//

//-----------------------------------------------------------------

Virus Statistics

Scan path : C:\

Folders : 4028

Files : 218153

Memory processes scanned : 0

Archives : 8317

Runtime packers : 7382

Identified viruses : 0

Infected files : 0

Memory processes infected : 0

Suspect files : 0

Warnings : 0

Disinfected files : 0

Deleted files : 0

Moved files : 0

I/O errors : 31

Scan time : 01:09:14

Scan speed (files/sec) : 52

Spyware Statistics

Registry keys scanned : 0

Registry keys infected : 0

Cookies scanned : 0

Cookies infected : 0

Spyware files infected : 0

Spyware threats detected : 0

Virus definitions : 1710163

Scan plugins : 16

Archive plugins : 43

Unpack plugins : 7

Mail plugins : 6

System plugins : 4

Virus scan options

Detection

[X] Scan boot sectors

[X] Memory Processes

[X] Scan archives

[X] Scan runtime packers

[X] Scan email

File mask

[ ] Programs

[X] All files

[ ] User defined extensions:

[ ] Exclude extensions: ;

Action

Infected objects

[ ] Ignore

[X] Disinfect

[ ] Delete

[ ] Move to quarantine

[ ] Prompt user

Second action

[ ] Ignore

[ ] Delete

[X] Move to quarantine

[ ] Prompt user

Virus scan options

[X] Enable warnings

[X] Enable heuristics

[ ] Show all files in log

[X] Report file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles\Logs\deep_scan\1220486402.log

Spyware scan options

[X] Scan for riskware

[ ] Skip dial and applications from scan

[X] Registry keys

[X] Cookies

Comments

• Hello Daveed,

That is just a graphical bug. Everything is scanned. You can see that if you see which areas BitDefender is scanning. I reported that issue also and it was solved for the 2008 versions of BitDefender,

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hello Daveed,

That is just a graphical bug. Everything is scanned. You can see that if you see which areas BitDefender is scanning. I reported that issue also and it was solved for the 2008 versions of BitDefender,

Kind regards,

Niels

Niels,

Thanks for your reply. I believe that BitDefender is not scanning. First of all, when BitDefender starts its scan, it begins with the Spyware Info and then with the Virus Info.

This is not happening.

Now it begins with the Virus Info, and never does the Spyware Info scan. It used to work properly, until I reinstalled it recently.

I am attaching a .jpg showing the results of a scan.

post-16345-1220526774_thumb.jpg

• I'm sorry.

That wasn't the .jpg I meant to send.

However, when I perform a memory scan, the scan takes 0.1 seconds and then reports that it didn't scan anything.

I just want Bitdefender v10 to work the way it used to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

• Here is an attachment showing the result of a memory scan. From the red line at the bottom, you can see that the memory scan took place.

But the results show that the scan took place in zero time, and checked zero items.

The Scan Level is set for "high"!

Daveed

post-16345-1220529497_thumb.jpg

• Hello Daveed,

Please check the option show last scanned files. So you verify that BitDefender indeed scanned everything. The problem is that it's a while ago that I used version 10. You can try a repair install before completing uninstall it: click on start,programs,BitDefender 10,modify,repair or uninstall choose repair.

Kind regards,

Niels

• The BitDefender team told me that I had to remove v10 completely using a special removal tool, completely different from the new tool which removes 2009 and back. After removing v10 completely, I did a complete reinstall of 2009. 2009 is not checking cookies.

1. If you do a deep system scan, the log will show that the number of checked cookies is always equal to the number of checked registry entries, which is impossible!

2. If you set up a New Task, scan and then look at the log, the log will show that although it was supposed to check cookies, it didn't check any.

The support team has yet to get back to me on this.

WTF indeed!

• Niels,

Thanks for your reply. I believe that BitDefender is not scanning. First of all, when BitDefender starts its scan, it begins with the Spyware Info and then with the Virus Info.

This is not happening.

Now it begins with the Virus Info, and never does the Spyware Info scan. It used to work properly, until I reinstalled it recently.

Hi Folks!

I am having the same problem.

Just noticed it last week.

The last "good" scan was on August 30th or August 31st.

Could this be fixed through a simple update for Bit Defender v10?

Other than this,I have had no problems whatsoever with v10.

Cjris

• I have the same problem with cookie, memory and registry scan, not only on my computer but also on my church's computer since I installed BD on it also. It started after I got an error message that an event log file was corrupted and would have to be regenerated. I attempted to repair my BDv10 but bdss.exe froze generating a microsoft error message. Uninstalling and reinstalling failed and I had to reinstall the hard drive partition (thank goodness for disk images) because I messed up. BD worked properly after the partition reinstall. I updated BD and got the same error message as above and BD stopped functioning properly. Odd that the same file was corrupted two times! Leads me to believe that the download itself is corrupted and was not corrupted when I updated BD. Tried to repair it again (ten minutes ago) and bdss.exe hung up again. The microsoft error message referenced two files:

C:DOCUMEN~1\HP_Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5c6e.dir\bdss.exe.mdmp and \appcompat.txt

both of which I believe are generated by the repair process. Long story short- my BD still is not working properly and I sure would like to have it back. Any assistance would be appreciated.

• I have the same problem with cookie, memory and registry scan, not only on my computer but also on my church's computer since I installed BD on it also. It started after I got an error message that an event log file was corrupted and would have to be regenerated. I attempted to repair my BDv10 but bdss.exe froze generating a microsoft error message. Uninstalling and reinstalling failed and I had to reinstall the hard drive partition (thank goodness for disk images) because I messed up. BD worked properly after the partition reinstall. I updated BD and got the same error message as above and BD stopped functioning properly. Odd that the same file was corrupted two times! Leads me to believe that the download itself is corrupted and was not corrupted when I updated BD. Tried to repair it again (ten minutes ago) and bdss.exe hung up again. The microsoft error message referenced two files:

C:DOCUMEN~1\HP_Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5c6e.dir\bdss.exe.mdmp and \appcompat.txt

both of which I believe are generated by the repair process. Long story short- my BD still is not working properly and I sure would like to have it back. Any assistance would be appreciated.

buckster,

Funny you should mention the event log error.

The same thing happened to me on August 30th or the 31st.

I was reading my e-mail(microsoft outlook),and automatic updates did its thing.

That is when I got the same error message.

I had to use the windows xp task manager to end outlook and shut down

the windows explorer in order to re-start my computer,as I do after any update.

The BD v10 event log told me that the update was downloaded and installed

succesfully.

I think the whole problem has to do with the update of August 30th or 31st.

This is of course only an opinion.

Any one have any solutions beside a re-install of v10?

Chris

• I have the same problem with BitDefender 10 Free. I've tried to reinstall it, delete all files and everything is fine until i update virus definition, after that scan memory 0 again. :(

• LvR
    LvR
    edited September 2008

Hi all, I (unfortunately) just :blink: discovered this forum.

I have te same problem, but today a friend advised me to scan my pc with the free to download "Ad-Aware" software and 3 malicious spyware's were found; named "Adware.CDM".

After deleting that spyware, I performed a Bitdefender scan, but unfortunately the same problem was still existing: no scanning for spyware.

Question is, if the found malicious "Adware.CDM" corrupted the Bitdefender scanning software OR not.

If we all perform the same spyware check by Ad-Aware.com, we can see if "Adware.CDM" is present on all our pc's and, may be, being the culprit.....................

• tds
    tds
    edited September 2008

Does anyone have any idea why BD Internet Security ver.10 will not scan registry keys or cookies during virus scans and I have tried it full system scan, deep system scan, and custom scan of both full and deep scans with scan registry keys and cookies enabled. It will not work any others having this problem or a fix? I've already unistalled and reinstalled that didn't cure the problem. Has BD disabled this in a product update? I even tried uninstalling it again but it will no longer uninstall. Using BD uninstall tool or Microsoft uninstaller tool. A dialog box pops up and say this program not found.

I think this all goes back to this problem when BD was deleting Microsoft Windows updates. I had to disable BD to install OS updates from Microsoft's website.

This all started happening around 1st of Sept.

Sep 12 2008, 12:38 AM

I don't know if I have posted this in the right forum or not. But any help would be appreciated, I really think this is a false positive. This dll. is Microsoft's Windows 2000Pro update update service. I do not believe it has been infected with the " Trojan.Mondera.I" as BD Internet Security v.10 is finding. Right now I have real time protection disabled. To stop deleting this system protected file. This started happenning last night when I was running Windows Update Service. I had to disable BD IS v.10 to update windows because it kept deleting "nwprovau.dll", Client Service for NetWare Provider and Authentication Package DLL.

• I have the exact same issue.

No spyware scan completed with any of the scan options.

I know v10 is an older version now, but the full programme should be supported for the life of the licence.

I cant seem to get anywhere on this.

All I want is peace of mind, after all thats what I paid for.

I was gonna update to the full security package when my current license expires, but it seems like I may look about for a different product. Its a shame because BD has been great and Ive used it for years, but its no good if you don't have any faith in its ability to do its job.