Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Interesting Scan Problem

ArtVandalay
edited September 2008 in General talk

I just completed a scan with BD 2009 TS. The scan went through with no problem. When checking through the settings, the system task in the menu says that the system is still status scanning..... I double checked and the scan isnt scanning. It wont event let me click on anything to schedule another scan. The only way to fix this issue is to restart the computer. Any help is appreciated. I should mention that BD wont update because it says that my virus scan is still scanning..Very Frustrating!!!

Comments

• I just completed a scan with BD 2009 TS. The scan went through with no problem. When checking through the settings, the system task in the menu says that the system is still status scanning..... I double checked and the scan isnt scanning. It wont event let me click on anything to schedule another scan. The only way to fix this issue is to restart the computer. Any help is appreciated. I should mention that BD wont update because it says that my virus scan is still scanning..Very Frustrating!!!

I had the same problem. The support people were unable to solve it, so I went back to v10!

• Hello ArtVandalay and Daveed,

Please try this I am still using 2008 version but I had a similar issue. Open task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del(ete) or ctrl+(left)shift+esc(ape) be sure that the processes tab is high lighted now press 1 time on the processesname tab and look for uiscan.exe entries select them and press on end task. uiscan is related to the scan process. Hope this helps also for the 2009 version,

Kind regards,

Niels

• Niels,

Are we supposed to turn off uiscan manually every time we finish running a scan?!?

• I know that uiscan.exe is the problem, because when I reboot my computer after a frozen scan, the computer tries to close down uiscan.exe.

But when I look at Processes, uiscan.exe isn't even there.

Daveed

• Hello Daveed,

No, only when your unable to perform an update (an error message that looks like this stop the running scan process and try again) or you can't start another scan task. Most of the times that this happened to me when BitDefender doesn't immediately showed the scan task after I activated the task but in the background there were hidden scans loaded.

uiscan.exe isn't a process that automatically starts together with windows.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Niels,

I have sent the problem to the BitDefender technicians.

Meanwhile, I seem to have found a work-around. When a scan is running behind the scenes, I clone it (left click on the icon), and that seems to force the scan to stop.

Next, I tried cloning the entire scan (deep system scan in my case), and scheduling that to run instead of the deep system scan.

For some reason, the clone does not freeze, even though the regular scan does. I have tried this on two separate computers, and it works. Obviously, this is a problem BitDefender is going to have to solve soon.

Their technical support person told me that I am the only person who ever encountered this problem. I think that not enough people complain.

Daveed

• Hello Daveed,

You must also understand that when you contact liveassistance that aren't always BitDefender technicians but a firm that is specialized in offering customer service for companies. Only when you receive a ticket-id than the chance is high that a BitDefender technician will answer.

I didn't always had this issue. But mostly it happens when BitDefender scan service doesn't respond anymore.

Thanks for your work-around.

Kind regards,

Niels

• It is impossible to explain anything to the tech support people, especially something as complicated as making a clone. Meanwhile, they have had my case for over 10 days and have not found a solution.

A new problem I just discovered is that BitDefender 2009 is not checking cookies. How do I know. Look at the log. The number of checked cookies is always equal to the number of checked registry entries. This happens after every single scan, and is impossible.

If you run a New Task, and set it up to check a few files, and then check the log, you will see that it says it will check cookies, but that 0 cookies have been checked.

Again, BitDefender has simply not addressed these problems, in spite of my many complaints. I am considering giving up on BitDefender, because I do not feel that my computer is safe right now.

• Of course the cloning is not the ultimate solution, and the fact that cookies are not being scanned at all is still a major problem. The cloning is simply a workaround, temprorary solution that I discovered inadvertently.

I just called BitDefender and manged to talk to the support manager(ess). She told me that she has no idea why I have not received a reply in over two weeks. She promised to talk to the development team (i.e. programmers!) and send me a reply in a few hours.

She looked over all the material I sent her and informed me that there is NOTHING on my computer that could possibly interfere with the correct operating of BitDefender.

I think it's very important that anybody else having these same problems inform BitDefender so they'll understand it's a large problem and fix it asap.

• I just received the following email from the BitDefender Technical Support Team:

Dear Daveed, We apologize for the late reply. Due to some technical difficulties your message could not be answered in a timely manner. The scanning issue that you have reported has been acknowledged by our team and is currently being worked on for a fix. As soon as we have reached a solution, you will be notified via email. The fix will be done by means of automatic update and won't require any additional action from your part.

• I posted today under Bit Defender not updating, this would have been a more appropriate spot to do so.

Basically, I've used BD anti virus for a couple of years prior, good results. My '08 expired early Sept., I renewed for '09 - a bad bad move. I had one full scan, not deep scan, run for 19 hours without finishing.

After a couple of weeks, erasing and downloading, same results every time. We erased BD '09, I'm using another A/V today.

Wasted money and lots of head scratching. Talking to India, it takes about five minutes or so to have them understand your email address. You call, and wait. You get connected and lose the connection. So you call again and wait.

Thats why when I replace my PC, I'm considering a Mac. Dell's customer service is a joke today also.

As I said I've used BD for two or three years. No real problems. What in the dickens happened?

And I know other A/V programs are running into bloat, and seeming disfunction.

Or are they under the impression that we operate our computers today - to solely run the programs?

Frustrated

• Niels
    Niels
    edited November 2008

The problem you have with the antispam settings I also have infact this happens at every time you reboot or shutdown your computer the statistics are reset. However if you open your mail client and receive mails the correct amount should be displayed that happened to me at the next boot. I also use BitDefender TS 2009. I've have reported it to BitDefender with the exact steps for how to reproduce it. For me BitDefender 2009 product line aren't that buggy I installed it on all my computers that I have here without any problems.

Did you already thought of a clean install of windows or just creating a new user account and install BitDefender from there? When I used Panda that didn't work either the problem was with my current user account that got corrupted and caused problems.

If you do a good search some people say that they have completely uninstall their previous security solution but infact they are still leftovers. So check this topic.

Kind regards,

Niels

Hello Daveed,

I reported the cookies issue also. Also the amount of found cookies doesn't match with the content of the cookies folder on your hard disk. It's also correct that BitDefender in version 2009 don't detect tracking cookies I've tested it. The problem with the scanner not stopping I don't have seen yet when I performed scans with BitDefender Total Security 2009. I have done a couple of deep,full and quick scans. The scanner stopped after a few seconds.

Kind regards,

Niels

• I am using BD Internet Security 2008 as official user .

I had encountered these problem .

My solution working well.

1-First You have to change virtual memory size management.OS defined VM size according to system management. Change this point custom management and define VM value min =RAM valueX1.5 , max value =RAM value X3

That mean : If you have 1GB Phsycal RAM , your VM min size has o be defined 1.5 GB and Max VM szie 3 GB. ( Right click My PC .......properties...........advanced..........performance......advanced.........

.VirtualMemory )

2-Select scan page BD and select properties and clik minimize scan window on system tray

3-Change the "Don't scan bigger than.......file instead of 0 ( zero that means all files will scan ) to 120 or 150 MB ( This is very important , because virus contain files (single fies) generally has not bigger than 50 or 100MB (Generaly small file size ). I tried it till 300MB (300000 kb ) it s better. Because Virtual memory Dumped to max file size to your HDD. and it couldnt succes it .

By he way please check your max single file size in the HDD. For example 50 MB ( except video-avi files ) You can define a little bit bigger size instad of ful file scanning )

4- Don't start the scan after finished first windows OS boot. Please wait 2-3 minutes after finished background scan of System files of windows automatically by BD.

I am using this methods and using very vell BD.

VICTOR

• ArtVandalay
    edited October 2008
    I just completed a scan with BD 2009 TS. The scan went through with no problem. When checking through the settings, the system task in the menu says that the system is still status scanning..... I double checked and the scan isnt scanning. It wont event let me click on anything to schedule another scan. The only way to fix this issue is to restart the computer. Any help is appreciated. I should mention that BD wont update because it says that my virus scan is still scanning..Very Frustrating!!!

still no fix....support stopped contacting me and still has no clue of this. Now I have to do the clone thing just so the automaric scan starts. Surely more than a few peple have this problem