Cannot Connect To Internet After Bitdefender Install

Hi, I had installed bitdefender total security 2009 (3 computer license) on an XP desktop and it worked great. about a week later (Today), I installed it on a second desktop computer, also windows XP. It seemed to install fine, except that I had to uninstall norton antivirus 2005, and I didn't restart before continuing (hopefully thats not the problem..) But then when I went to put the product key in, it said something about that I couldn't use the online backup! I don't remember exactly what it said.

When it asked me to register, I typed in the email and password of the account that I had created upon my first installation on the other computer. It said that it couldn't connect to the internet or something along those lines. Sure enough, in the taskbar, the wireless connection icon said "limited or no connectivity". I don't know why, because it has been working perfectly fine for a long time. That desktop connects wirelessly to a wireless router with a netgear PCI adapter.

Anyways, I went into the settings and it had set the connection to something other than the highest trust level, so I did that and closed. It's hard to remember exactly the sequence of when things happened, but sometime around then I got a blue screen stop error "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL". Since then every time I reboot my computer, the internet connection is still limited or no connectivity, no matter how many times I repair it. I also get some blue screens seemingly randomly and I can't see the error because it's offset a little upwards. I can only see the lower 2/3 of the error message.

Is there a way I can fix this? If I uninstall Bitdefender and then Install it again, will it think that I've put Bitdefender on a third computer and then when I try to install it on the third it won't let me? It's imperitive that Bitdefender gets onto the third computer when it's available, because it's for work. The computer thats having problems with it is not as important, so I don't want there to be issues with the 3 computer lisence thing. How does the product key registration work? Does it check to see how many times the code has been submitted or what?

Thank you for any help,

Bluethunder

PS- If theres anything I left out that might be important at all, don't hesitate to ask. I'm a bit tired so I probably forgot to say things or things might be difficult to understand. If you need clarification, just ask.

Comments

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

Hi there,

First off, from what you say, the connection shows limited or no connectivity at every startup, but after you repair it it works?

Second, not rebooting the PC before installing BitDefender is a major issue. I would say that the BSODs are caused by this, and most likely the status of the network connection too, especially if a Norton driver was not removed or at least stopped.

Now, first step is to run the Norton removal tool from their website here

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

Choose the product you have, wait for it to load, scroll down and select Download next to your OS.

Reboot the PC after it is finished with uninstalling the product. Also, make sure you don't have any other security solutions installed.

Please let me know if this was of help.

Now, the licensing issue. You can install BitDefender on 3 PCs. You can reinstall on those PCs almost as many times as you want. You can also change one of your PCs with a new one and install the BitDefender from the old PC on the new one. The license expires in 365/730 days after it was first used on the first PC.

Thanks,

Florin

• Similar problem happened to me. In my case i uninstalled the BD TS 2009 completely and reinstalled , worked like a charm then.

• No, after repairing the internet connection, I still couldn't access the internet. I did uninstall it yesterday though, so today I will try to install it properly! Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if the problem persists. (Maybe from now on I should listen to those prompts that tell me to reboot my computer before I install something else!)

-Bluethunder

• Dear Bluethunder,

Try this unplug only the main power cable of your wireless router for 30 seconds. Plug it back in. Mostly that solves the limited or no connectivity error message.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hello everyone,

I uninstalled and reinstalled Bitdefender, to no avail. It DID ask me about the internet connection, whether it was a home/office one, or a public/campus one. I selected home/office. I hit OK, went through the basic configuration, etc. But I'm still having this problem! I went to the firewall and under settings I set the adapter from "Blocked" to "Fully allow" (or something similar to that). I closed bitdefender and restarted the computer. To no avail. It turned on, and still had that Limited or no connectivity issue!

I did try that unplugging only the main power cable for 30 seconds (about a minute, if you really want to know). All that happened was all the computers connected lost their connections to the internet, and when I plugged it back in, they all reconnected. It had no effect on the limited or no connectivity message when it connected again.

I know that the problem IS bitdefender because the wireless connection worked perfectly fine after I uninstalled bitdefender, but when I installed it again, this problem came back. Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help,

Bluethunder

• Dear Bluethunder,

I suggest that you do this repair your internet connection. Click on start,connect to,show/display all connections. Right click on your wireless connection, choose repair. Shutdown both pc's. Unplug the main powercable again of your router. Plug it back in. After that boot your computer.

Please press the windows button together with r now type this: devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to view,show hidden devices. Now expand the following sections: network adaptors and the section non plug and play compatible drivers. Can you please make a screenshot of these sections?

Click on start,connect to,show/display all connections. Right click on your wireless connection, choose properties and uncheck BitDefender NDIS Filter Driver.

Kind regards,

Niels

• I followed what you said, and that didn't work. I'll post the screenshots, but for some reason I can't get them off of that computer (the computer isn't recognizing anything plugged into the USB drive anymore). When I repaired it the first time, it said "Network did not assign an IP address" or something like that. I think it's not assigning an IP address because Bitdefender won't let it (because when I uninstall bitdefender, it works fine).

Thanks,

Bluethunder

• Ok, here are the screenshots.. It turned out that the Flash drive I was using was broken. Anyways, here they are, attached. Also, I included one of the Show all connections page. As you can see (5th screenshot) There is the properties with the filtering off (I hit Ok, and opened it back up) and the connection is still limited or no connection. (As you can see in the window, the Wireless Connection 3 status).

post-22199-1236038718_thumb.jpg

post-22199-1236038732_thumb.jpg

post-22199-1236038739_thumb.jpg

post-22199-1236038750_thumb.jpg

post-22199-1236038842_thumb.jpg

• Just wondering, could it be that the network is not secured with any sort of WEP or WPA encryption? Should I do that?

• Just wondering, could it be that the network is not secured with any sort of WEP or WPA encryption? Should I do that?

Hi there, did any one solve this problem. I am having the same proplem. If I install Bitdefender I can't connect to the internet. If I uninstall it I can connect to the internet with no problems.

Hope someone can help

• Hi there, did any one solve this problem. I am having the same proplem. If I install Bitdefender I can't connect to the internet. If I uninstall it I can connect to the internet with no problems.

Hope someone can help

@joacro - You are responding to a 2 year old topic and using a 2 year old version of BD.

It would also help us to help you if you provided the most basic information about your PC and it's configuration.

What type (speed) processor (CPU) does your PC have?

How much memory (RAM) is installed in your PC?

Which version of Windows do you have - WinXP, Vista or Win7? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Which BD product do you have - Antivirus Pro, Internet Security or Total Security?

Do you have any other antivirus, anti-malware, firewall, etc., program installed?

If your PC meets the minimum system requirements, it is recommended that you upgrade for FREE to the current 2011 version of whichever BD product you have installed. Your issue may be resolved in this most current release. All the information you need to upgrade can be found in this pinned topic. Direct download links for all versions of the current BD 2011 products can be found in this pinned topic. If you do upgrade, it is strongly recommended that you first use the BD Uninstall Tool to complete remove all traces of the BD product presently installed on your PC. This will ensure a trouble free upgrade. Your current license will be carried forward to this new install.

Regards,

• No, after repairing the internet connection, I still couldn't access the internet. I did uninstall it yesterday though, so today I will try to install it properly! Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if the problem persists. (Maybe from now on I should listen to those prompts that tell me to reboot my computer before I install something else!)

-Bluethunder

You can also go for the internet speed test after connected,from the website http://www.ip-details.com for free of cost.Here select the internet speed test option,you will be getting a tab called "begin test".Click on that then you can find your internet upload/download speed.

• Hi tinajane,

First off, let me inform you that I have edited your post because it contained a few websites and you do not have rights to post them. Regarding your connectivity issue, tell me what operating system you have and it's Ram memory.

Thank you!