Device Detection Problem And Security Center Problem In Bitdefender 2010

Although all the options are checked under the detection tab of the device detection scan, BD is not detecting any external hard disks and CD/DVD when they are inserted into my computer.This problem, however is not occurring with pen-drives.Please help.

My OS is Vista Home Edition and I have recently upgraded to BD 2010.

Another thing is that eveytime I open my computer, Windows Security Center detects that BD services are turned off although the icon in the system tray shows that all is ok.This problem disappears once I perform a BD update.Although this isn't causing me any direct problem, I just want to know why this is happening and whether there is any solution to this.Please help.

Comments

• Hello Tuhin,

For start, please follow the instructions the we sent you through the email and reply back with the files that we need. After that, please go to the next location "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles" (on Windows XP) or "C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles" (on Windows Vista or Windows 7 ), look after the file called "tasks_system.xml", upload it on http://www.sendspace.com/, then post here the download link .

Thank you .

• Alex,

I have done everything the instructions specified and I also uploaded that file.Here's the download link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9srwnk

Looking forward to your co-operation.Thanks

• Alex Stanciu
    Alex Stanciu ✭✭
    edited September 2009

Hello Tuhin,

Please follow the steps bellow :

1. Download a modified version of the "task_system.xml" file from the next link : http://www.sendspace.com/file/s0032g .

2. Start your computer in Safe Mode .

- restart the computer;

- repeatedly press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins

to load (you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu);

- select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation

message; click "Yes" to acknowledge.

3. Go to the next location "C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles" and copy here the file downloaded earlier. Choose "Yes" when you will be asked if you want to replace the file.

4. Start your computer in Normal Mode look of you have the same issue.

Thank you .

• Alex,

I did as you said but unfortunately the problems still seem to persist.

• Alex,

I did as you specified in the email.It still doesn't seem to work.I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software several times before with no luck

Looking forward to your reply

• Still waiting for a solution

• I have a similar problem. Since installing BD 2010, my XP Pro system no longer can access either of my DVD drives when I insert a CD disc, unless I leave the disc in while rebooting. After rebooting, the disc is detected and reads or plays normally. If I remove the disk after plying it, however, neither DVD drive will detect the disk on reinsertion. The drives will detect and play a DVD movie with no problem. What is the difference between a DVD and a CD with relation to this problem?

When trying to access a CD I am presented with the message "An error occurred reading folder: incorrect function (1)"

Relatedly, when I first inserted a DVD, BitDefender popped up a window saying it had detected new equipment. Hoping to avoid this distraction while I was troubleshooting the problem, I clicked on Do not show this warning again. I cannot find anyway to turn the warning back on to allow BitDefender to detect new devices. How do I do that? Why wouldn't BitDefender pop up the same warning when I inserted a CD into the same drive initially?

When inserting a thumb flash drive into a USB slot, it is read with no problem.

I have uninstalled BD 2010 with no change to the problem. I have reinstalled it, but again no change. I am a graphic artist and need to be able to produce and play graphics files on CDs, so this problem is preventing me form working. Is there any way to resolve this problem?

Tony

• Addendum — I found out how to switch the Detect devices on or off.

• I have the same problem too... The device detection is "ON" but the BDAV2010 don't detect anything...

• Hello André Pinto,

Starting to the latest version, BitDefender 2010, the product does not detect the external harddisk. It only detects the CD/DVDs, USB storage devices and mapped network drives.

The external HDD is seen as a piece of hardware and it will be included in the every System Scan you will run with BitDefender. Also, if you will try to move or access any file from the harddisk it will be scanned in real time.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you.

• Hello André Pinto,

Starting to the latest version, BitDefender 2010, the product does not detect the external harddisk. It only detects the CD/DVDs, USB storage devices and mapped network drives.

The external HDD is seen as a piece of hardware and it will be included in the every System Scan you will run with BitDefender. Also, if you will try to move or access any file from the harddisk it will be scanned in real time.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you.

Ok ;) Thank you. It works with an USB Pendisk!