Update Takes A Long Time

I decided to do a manual scan so went to the update tab first. It was just a small update, 225 kb. I bet it took near 10 minutes for it first to download, then install. I've noticed this ever since I installed 2010 and can't help but wonder why. Usually you think of a new version as being improved, but in this area at least it sure isn't any improvement over 2008 or 2009. Updates always downloaded and installed pretty fast on those but with this version, like today, I thought maybe it was frozen or something and was about to restart when it finally completed. If anyone has asked about this and gotten an answer please reply. Maybe this is just another one of many glitches in this new version.

Comments

• IMO it obviously seems like a glitch.

over here i have the same issue, and also wondered why it is happening.

and sometimes i have to manually restart PC after "product update" because that window saying that BD services are stopped temporarily stays on and on for too long time to wait.

also agree that vir signatures updates take much much longer than with previous versions.

but sorry - i've no idea why... :huh:

• post-14196-1256010690_thumb.jpgpost-14196-1256010733_thumb.jpg

IMO it obviously seems like a glitch.

over here i have the same issue, and also wondered why it is happening.

and sometimes i have to manually restart PC after "product update" because that window saying that BD services are stopped temporarily stays on and on for too long time to wait.

also agree that vir signatures updates take much much longer than with previous versions.

but sorry - i've no idea why... :huh:

yeh they certainly do well on xp anyway but on vista sp2 hp x64 no probs fast unless its a big update, but my on xp will do this too (see screens) it fails to install them and hangs at installing updates? gr8 eh, so your lucky, now that makes 2 modules so unreliable you can't use them this update thing basically makes it useless against new threats ?

• You can add me to the list of people experiencing a lockup when updating. Only solution is a reboot. Oh, and I upgraded to 2010 from 2009 on the advice of tech support, who obviously thought it would cure the bitdefender services not responding issue. Well, got my first one of those today on 2010. Aaaagh,l!

• Hello all,

In order to troubleshoot this issue please follow the steps bellow :

In order to solve the issue you are encountering we would need the following information from your PC:

1. Go to Start->Run

2. Type cmd and hit Enter

3. Type

cd %programfiles%/bitdefender/bitdefender 2010

and hit Enter

4. Type

supporttool.exe /livesrvtrace on

and hit Enter

5. A popup should appear asking you to reboot the PC. Reboot the PC.

6. Open BitDefender and reproduce the issue a couple of times.

7. Go to the next location :

Vista: C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\DTrace\

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\DTrace\

8. Look after a file called livesrv.log, upload it on http://www.sendspace.com/, then post here the download link .

Thank you .

• swm
    swm
    edited October 2009

I'm having the same issues as described above - BD gets stuck saying either "Installing updates..." indefinitely or I get a window saying BD has been turned off for an update and vsserve.exe is unavailable. When it gets stuck it also adds two security issues - Automatic update is turned off & Update has never been performed - neither of which are true. I tried following the instructions above but I get nothing when trying to run supporttool.exe - no popup, no nothing. The folder DTrace is empty, search does not find livesrv.log anywhere on the computer.

• I'm having the same issues as described above - BD gets stuck saying either "Installing updates..." indefinitely or I get a window saying BD has been turned off for an update and vsserve.exe is unavailable. When it gets stuck it also adds two security issues - Automatic update is turned off & Update has never been performed - neither of which are true. I tried following the instructions above but I get nothing when trying to run supporttool.exe - no popup, no nothing. The folder DTrace is empty, search does not find livesrv.log anywhere on the computer.

well the update sequence would seem to have improved slightly on speed to complete in the last days,but it will still switch off for 1or 5 seconds and still will check for updates every 30 mins even when you set it to 2-23 hrs it makes no difference bd does what it is programed to do not what the user wants it would seem, maybe the update module needs to be re-programed by bd but what ever the reason behind it, it would seem to be xp related, maybe the bit defender .com user account? why does any antivirus prog need a user account?

• dave r
    edited October 2009
    well the update sequence would seem to have improved slightly on speed to complete in the last days,but it will still switch off for 1or 5 seconds and still will check for updates every 30 mins even when you set it to 2-23 hrs it makes no difference bd does what it is programed to do not what the user wants it would seem, maybe the update module needs to be re-programed by bd but what ever the reason behind it, it would seem to be xp related, maybe the bit defender .com user account? why does any antivirus prog need a user account?

Further to my last,is was playing an online game b4,game mode enabled (manually, as sometimes will not detect auto) and auto updates disabled,after finishing playing bd was crashed not responding to any thing,vserv.exe switched off temp for update message,lol, had to re start to clear it, so it would appear that the update modules is worse than we first thought

1,takes a long time to complete sequence,partly due to the fact that is will switch of it's vserv.exe to complete the update, (even when there are no files available to download)

2,will sometimes stop (hang) during the update process,This will tend to occur more when you are using your pc,such as moving/copying files,deleting files(securely)playing a game,downloading/uploading

3,will update every 30mins regardless of the time you set it to perform updates

4, will continue to check for and update even though the automatic update is disabled

this problem should of been solved via update by now, as it does not seen to work well at all with xp,are bd helping MS to get people to upgrade their xp, as ms would love that

• this problem should of been solved via update by now, as it does not seen to work well at all with xp,are bd helping MS to get people to upgrade their xp, as ms would love that

This garbage should have been fixed in beta. How can a company release an anti-virus program that forces the user to restart their computer 3 times a day? I've restarted my computer more in the two weeks since I upgrade to BD10 than I have the past year.

• This garbage should have been fixed in beta. How can a company release an anti-virus program that forces the user to restart their computer 3 times a day? I've restarted my computer more in the two weeks since I upgrade to BD10 than I have the past year.

well i thought this was the beta version,with all these bugs still in it,lol (aka Beta defender2010) other alternative is to disable auto updates, defeats the core objective of having hourly updates, but saves on the re- re-re-re-boot_s, band the disruption to what ever you were/wanted to do on your box,(btw bd checks for updates every 30mins or sometimes less,and will still switch off even when no available files to download, ain't that stupid or what?)Well as no one from bd is going to release detailed instructions on how to fix this,or update to fix it, it's looking like I'll be downgrading to the 2008 product at least that worked,

also another flaw in 2010 submissions error reports and virus from quarantine,this will not send???

• As this forum won't let you edit posts properly!!!!

well i thought this was the beta version,with all these bugs still in it,lol (aka Beta defender2010) other alternative is to disable auto updates,It defeats the core objective of having hourly updates, but saves on the re- re-re-re-boot_s, and the disruption to what ever you were/wanted to do on your box,(btw bd checks for updates every 30mins or sometimes less,and will still switch off even when no available files to download, ain't that stupid or what?)It also is checking for updates when in game mode,And is set not to of course but this junk ware does as it wants almost,if it's files were not locked by the system you could at least kill the offending processes in T.M and restart bd,Well as no one from bd is going to release detailed instructions on how to fix this,or update to fix it, it's looking like I'll be downgrading to the 2008 product at least that worked,

also another flaw in 2010 submissions error reports and virus from quarantine,this will not send???

• also another flaw in 2010 submissions error reports and virus from quarantine,this will not send???

LOL, I love that too. BD found two things and recommended that I submit them...then after it went through the process, it said it failed. Again, what is the point of having a feature that doesn't even work?

• LOL, I love that too. BD found two things and recommended that I submit them...then after it went through the process, it said it failed. Again, what is the point of having a feature that doesn't even work?

well that's 4 modules and counting that have now been identified as not functioning correctly

1, vulnerabilities

2.update

3 game mode

4 active virus control,

I can do without the vulnerabilities as who need that any how,most apps will periodically check for updates anyhow,a pointless module that will generate a lot of Internet traffic, as when it is enabled it has windows update more or less permanently checking Ms,via a content delivery service,that interestingly enough is the same provider used when you download the bd is2010 kit,

It has been said that the "vserv.exe screen and grayed out ball icon(sys tray) are not error's,i wouldn't put my money on that being the case,as i have used both bd 10 and 2008 products they did not do this,the scan activity would display x briefly during updates, (which did not take as long)infact a part from the noise from the hdd you could not even notice then as no interruptions were caused,

as for the "improved game mode" how can this be so? .it don't detect your games most of the time, but will detect apps such as windows sreensaver,Ie7,basically a lot of things that go fullscreen auto update still runs too,(with setting set to not do so in update module), this software hogs systems too much, slow loading time at start up,and generally a slow system,also Internet connectivity is interrupted whilst using certain download managers,and p2p apps,in my humble opinion they should of stuck with what used to work well instead of this,

• well that's 4 modules and counting that have now been identified as not functioning correctly

1, vulnerabilities

2.update

3 game mode

4 active virus control,

I can do without the vulnerabilities as who need that any how,most apps will periodically check for updates anyhow,a pointless module that will generate a lot of Internet traffic, as when it is enabled it has windows update more or less permanently checking Ms,via a content delivery service,that interestingly enough is the same provider used when you download the bd is2010 kit,

It has been said that the "vserv.exe screen and grayed out ball icon(sys tray) are not error's,i wouldn't put my money on that being the case,as i have used both bd 10 and 2008 products they did not do this,the scan activity would display x briefly during updates, (which did not take as long)infact a part from the noise from the hdd you could not even notice then as no interruptions were caused,

as for the "improved game mode" how can this be so? .it don't detect your games most of the time, but will detect apps such as windows sreensaver,Ie7,basically a lot of things that go fullscreen auto update still runs too,(with setting set to not do so in update module), this software hogs systems too much, slow loading time at start up,and generally a slow system,also Internet connectivity is interrupted whilst using certain download managers,and p2p apps,in my humble opinion they should of stuck with what used to work well instead of this,

Here is a few screens so you can see this familiar vserv.exe screen that is not an error,really lol,you can see how long this update crap takes and how long that ERROR screen stays displayed, want to know how long??? answer is until you yep you guessed it RE BOOT YOUR O/S!!! but that i bet is not an error too? i feel sorry for the bd engineers as they get the flack meanwhile the cretins who released this UNFINISHED (BETA) are laughing at us and keep taking the money,they should of called this version BETA Defender2010 instead of misleading every one, BTW i'm still waiting for this update process to finishpost-14196-1256339059_thumb.jpgpost-14196-1256339103_thumb.jpg

post-14196-1256339655_thumb.jpg

• Are technically protected when we get those screens? It says BD is switched off, which I would assume the answer to that questions would be 'no.' However, the icon is still red, not gray. This is a question I'd really like answered from a BD person since if I'm still protected, I won't have to restart my computer.

And would you know it, just as I am typing this, I am being notified that BD has been switched off and it looks like I'm going to have to restart again.

• Hmm, and I was thinking of upgrading too... Not after seeing all the CRAP associated with the 2010 version... Too bad too, I really liked the 2008 version, except for when it had issues (many times throughout the year) and couldn't fix them... Only way out of it was to uninstall and reinstall BD Antivirus......

• Hmm, and I was thinking of upgrading too... Not after seeing all the CRAP associated with the 2010 version... Too bad too, I really liked the 2008 version, except for when it had issues (many times throughout the year) and couldn't fix them... Only way out of it was to uninstall and reinstall BD Antivirus......

I've had my fair share of problems with 2010, but 2009 is good if you can get that.

• I've had my fair share of problems with 2010, but 2009 is good if you can get that.

Ok, I thought about it but didn't look much at it... I'll have a look and see what others say here.... Thanks for the tip...

• Now if I could find the 2009 version here... It doesn't appear to be listed...

• Norman_24
    edited October 2009

I don't believe BD 2009 is compatible with Windows 7, which I will be installing soon..

• [{"insert":"why does it take such a long time for the bitdefender to check for updates. I used to use McAfee and it would only take less than a minute to find the updates and then do the installation. Bitdefender 2021 version is too slow. Something is wrong. You guys at Bitdefender really need to fix this matter. I can see from the above comments that this issue dates back to 2009 and in 2021, this problem still remains. At times, it can take up to 5 minutes to finally start to download the latest updates. Could be related to your server speed.\n"}]
  • I've just read this and can't believe how long it's been going on for. Each new version, I hope this is fixed.

I have the latest version installed.

I have an SSD, fast CPU and more than enough free RAM.

I have 250MB internet connection speed (no issues with this)

The update process takes a few minutes to get to 80%. Then, everything stops. My computer is unusable. You can't do anything on the internet on the computer. Eventually, 5-10 minutes later (sometimes longer), it eventually finishes. Then, as if by magic, the computer comes back to life.

To those who work at Bitdefender, what is going on? Definitely a major issue your end, that's been around for far too long.

Starting to look around now with plenty of new years' offers about (excluding Norton and McAfee which are truly awful).