Firewall And Grc's Shields Up Test

Hi, I have just purchased BitDefender 2010 Internet Security. Installation ran smoothly on XP Home w SP3. I went over to Gibson Research's ShieldsUp site to test my firewall. I need to know why, with the default rules in place that the test failed, i.e. truestealth failed?

It would be helpful if you could post an answer on what should be done to make this assurance to new users of BitDefender 2010 products in relation to the firewall. And not to have users feeling like they may panic as a result in thinking that their computer with the new Bitdefender 2010 installation, and hence that they are not protected as a result...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Kind regards,

Tom.

Comments

• Hello t0mm13b,

You will find a complete answer in the following thread .

Thank you.

• Hello t0mm13b,

You will find a complete answer in the following thread .

Thank you.

Many thanks Alex for your prompt reply. I have followed the suggestions as per the link you have recommended, it is still failing, TruStealth Analysis has failed on both common ports and all ports pages. Furthermore, Bitdefender firewall has failed the leaktest which is on the same grc's website. Any hints or is there something that I am doing wrong? I have attached a couple of screenshots in the hope that this could be answered.

Thanks again in advance,

Tom.

post-29143-1258561812_thumb.png

post-29143-1258561908_thumb.png

post-29143-1258561962_thumb.png

• From your IP address it seems that you are behind a router. You should check the router's settings.

• Hi, am having the same problem. I too am behind a router firewall but it is not the problem. My other system is using Zone Alarm ISS and it passes the test with flying colors.

Here is the message from grc:

Unsolicited Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system's personal security countermeasures unwisely attempted to probe us in response to our probes. While some users believe that "tracking down" the source of Internet probes is useful, experience indicates that there is little to gain and potentially much to lose. The wisest course of action is to simulate nonexistence — which your system has failed to do. Your counter-probes immediately reveal your system's presence and location on the Internet.

I was able to fix this by setting my "Network Configuration" adapter's "Trust Level" to "Unsafe". :)

Hope this helps someone. Cheers