Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Internet Security 2010 Won't Download, Since October

Options

I am just about at my wits end here! I have five computers running Bitdefender and they have been a nightmare lately. On this computer, PC, Windows XP, 32 bit, it was working fine with Internet Security 2009 up until late October. I noticed that it wouldn't Update, and that the list of virus scans was suddenly missing. It had no way or running a scan. I couldn't find a solution so I just decided to upgrade to BDIS 2010. It failed to download fully. I tried completely removing the old BDIS 2009 and starting fresh, but that failed. Now the computer had no protection and I couldn't get anything to download from Bitdefender at all. I worked and worked at various things but nothing would get BDIS 2010 to download and install. I finally did a Restore back to and earlier time with BDIS 2009 but in its faulty state where it wouldn't do any scans or update. I noticed at that time (early November) that a ton of people were having trouble with Bitdefender so I decided to wait to see if the Bitdefender people wouls solve their problems.

Now it is December and I still can't get a new fresh install of BDIS 2010 to download fully. I get an error that states Windows Installer error 1620. I have completely erased the old BDIS 2009 again and tried a fresh install again. Same problem. I have another laptop computer with BDIS 2010 and it seems to be working perfectly. Can I somehow copy that BDIS 2010 over into the PC computer?

Anyone know why the downloading is failing?? Help!

RickMc

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello RickMc,

How did you try to download BitDefender?

Here are direct download links for BitDefender 2010 Internet Security, English version:

- x86: http://content-down.bitdefender.com/window...ty_2010_32b.exe

- x64: http://content-down.bitdefender.com/window...ty_2010_64b.exe

Also, please use the BitDefender Uninstall Tool and restart your computer before trying to install a new version.

Cris.

• RickMc
    edited December 2009
    Options

Chris,

Yes, I clicked on that exact link and the download failed. If fact I have tried a download of BDIS 2010 about ten times. I have also tried the uninstaller a dozen times as well. I noticed using Windows Explorer that the Bitdefender files were still in my computer even after using the uninstaller and also using Add/Remove Programs. Just to make sure those old files were not causing a problem, I logged on in Safe Mode and erased every last Bitdefender file I could fine under Program Files and Common Files. Then I tried a fresh install and it also failed. I may be something in this computer that is messed up but it all started when I tried to repair Bitdefender. All other software I have tried to install does so just fine. The only error message I have seen was the 1620 Windows Installer error. What does this point to?

RickMc

• alexcrist
    Options

What exactly do you mean by "the download failed"? What did you use to download the kit (browser/download manager/something else)? At which point did it fail to download (when starting/sometime in the middle/at the end)? And what error did you get when the download failed? A few moments ago I tried to download the kit from the first link I posted and it worked just fine.

Windows Installer 1620 error, according to Microsoft Support, is the error code for the ERROR_INSTALL_PACKAGE_INVALID error ("This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."). So, basically, if the installation kit got corrupted during or after the download, you will get this error when trying to run it. Also, basically, this has nothing to do with BitDefender, because it's just the Windows Installer error control, which prevents you from using a corrupted installer, which otherwise would result in a faulty installation and further problems.

Starting from this idea, are you sure that the BitDefender uninstall tool was downloaded correctly? Because everytime I used that tool on a system, it worked.

So please give a little more details about the download failure.

Cris.

• RickMc
    edited December 2009
    Options

Chris,

The download has failed in so many ways I have a hard time describing it. Usually I start the download and it will run mostly to the end and then stop giving the 1620 error. Sometimes it will just stop downloading in the middle and not give an error code of any kind.

I am sure I downloaded the uninstaller correctly (many times) and it probably worked, but I also noticed using Windows Explorer that the Bitdefender software was still listed under Program Files and Common Files. It was not listed anymore under Add/Remove Programs but I could still see it sitting inside the computer (400Mb) so I took it out manually under Safe Mode to be sure the remants of the deleted copy wasn't causing any trouble with the new downloads. I did all this weeks after I started trying to upgrade to IS 2010 from 2009. That is when all the trouble started.

If it is a Windows Installer problem, point me in the direction to get this fixed. Is this a Microsoft software issue? I will start working on this to see if that may be the problem.

I have a good working copy using the same Key number on a laptop computer. Can I copy that program over to the problem computer to save having all the downloading troubles? I don't have any anti-virus protection right now.

RickMc

• alexcrist
    Options

No, you cannot copy an installed product from one system to another, because there are far too many settings/services/registries/etc... that should be manually configured, and which if done wrong, will lead you nowhere.

But let's just start from the beginning. You said:

The download has failed in so many ways I have a hard time describing it. Usually I start the download and it will run mostly to the end and then stop giving the 1620 error.

Let's make a clear distinction between downloading and actually running the installer. Downloading a file means that you click on one of the links I posted (the one that suits your system, x86 OR x64) and save that file somewhere on your computer. If your browser has the option to run it directly, don't! Running a file from the browser's cache might lead to data corruption or failure to install correctly.

So: right click on one of the above links, select Save target as (or Save as), browse for a location on your HDD (preferably an empty folder), and click Save. When the download ends, the result should be an EXE file of size 128MB (for the x86 version) or 144MB (x64 version).

To this point, Windows Installer has nothing to do with downloading the kit. The download just behaves like any other ordinary binary file, so IF something goes wrong during download, your browser will show you an error. Also, in case you're using a 3rd party download manager/optimizer, try to disable it in case the download fails again. Sometimes download managers/optimizers can be the culprits in data corruption.

Follow the exact same steps as above (right click, save as, etc...) to download the BitDefender Uninstall Tool. Again, the result should be an EXE file, of about 2.4MB.

Next, if everything went correctly during download of both files, you can proceed with uninstalling and reinstalling.

1) First, run the Uninstall tool and click Uninstall. Wait for it to finish. At the end, it will prompt you to restart your system, which is exactly what you should do.

2) After restart, run the installation kit that you previously downloaded. In case that the installer informs you about a newer version and asks you to download it, click NO and install the one that you already have. After installation, BitDefender will update itself to the newest version. Only at this point, if there's something wrong in your system, you will get Windows Installer errors (like 1620).

3) If everything works OK (hopefully), when the installer finishes it's job, restart your system. Then make a full update of BitDefender and you might be asked to restart again (to complete it's initial update).

Post back how it works.

Cris.