Bitdefender 2010 Will Not Start Virus Scan!

Hello! I bought Bitdefender yesterday and tried to do a scan on my computer by hitting the "scan now" button. Nothing happened, not even an error message. I thought that BD needed a day to connect to the BD server to perform a scan but even today it is doing the same thing. It says that 7 issues affect my computer but when I try to hit the "fix issues" button it all says "failed", even the virus scan. It says my computer has never been scanned for viruses, yet fails to scan every time I hit the button. Now it says that 364 days remain on my account but I haven't even been able to use BD on day one. After I get BD working, I'd like it to be reset to 365 if possible so I get what I paid for.post-27103-1252873424_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Hello rduff777,

Please go to the next location "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles" (on Windows XP) or "C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles" (on Windows Vista or Windows 7 ), look after the file called "tasks_system.xml", upload it on http://www.sendspace.com/, then post here the download link .

Thank you .

• Hello rduff777,

Please go to the next location "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles" (on Windows XP) or "C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles" (on Windows Vista or Windows 7 ), look after the file called "tasks_system.xml", upload it on http://www.sendspace.com/, then post here the download link .

Thank you .

I have the same problem

Hope to hear from you soon

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5590" data-fileid="5590" rel="">tasks_system.xml

• I have the same problem

Hope to hear from you soon

No need anymore, found the answer in this patch:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#547

• Same problem here but I can't apply the patch.

I get an error message that the files can't be changed since access is denied. And yes, I did turn off UAC.

• Hello Nisei,

Please follow the instructions from my first post, upload the "tasks_system.xml" file on http://www.sendspace.com/ then post here the download link .

Thank you .

• Hello Nisei,

Please try the steps bellow :

1. Download a modified tasks_system.xml file from the next link:http://www.sendspace.com/file/ubzh0s .

2. Reboot the PC in Safe Mode.

- restart the computer;

- repeatedly press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load (you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu);

- select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click "Yes" to acknowledge.

3. Set your computer to Display Hidden Files And Folders

- go to your "Control Panel" and open "Folder Options";

- then go to the "View" tab and perform the changes listed below:

* check "Display contents of system folders"

* check "Show hidden files and folders"

* uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types"

* uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

- click "Apply" and then "OK" to exit.

NOTE: On Microsoft Windows Vista you will apply the same steps except for selecting "Display contents of system folders".

For more information you can read the following article:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB354-en--Reveal...em-folders.html

4. Go to the next location C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles (for Windows Vista and Win 7) or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles (Windows XP) and copy the tasks_system.xml file here. When you will be asked if you want to replace the file choose Yes .

5. Start your computer in Normal Mode , try to perform a scan and let us know if you receive the same message .

Thank you .

• It didn't work. I did everything you told but still can't do a scan.

• Hello Nisei,

This issue requires further investigation . Please follow the steps from the next article :http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB389 and send us back through the email the reports that we need.

Thank you .

• E-mail to which address? I keep running in circles on the support pages and sending a file on the support pages doesn't work...

• Hello Nisei,

Please reply to the email that you received from us . It should have the following ticket ID number: 200910011008646 . In case you have not received our instructions, we have resent you the email .

We are looking forward to your reply .

Thank you .

• hmmm, i seem to be having the same problem, i've done everything that's in the topic above but the xml file, so here's the link for that. http://www.sendspace.com/file/gaw249. here is a picture as well. I'm working through bitdefender support and they don't seem to have an answer. so maybe??????????

post-28016-1255634772_thumb.jpg

• Hello rand99,

We have created you a support ticket:200910161007374 and an email with the instructions that will help you run our diagnoses tools was sent to you. Please reply back with the files that we need.

Thank you .

• ok, do i need to reply back to here, or the email?

Hello rand99,

We have created you a support ticket:200910161007374 and an email with the instructions that will help you run our diagnoses tools was sent to you. Please reply back with the files that we need.

Thank you .

• hey! it's look like there is no resolution here...i've got same problem and still wait for resolution!

• Well I'm glad it's not just me, I was wondering if it was something I did but I guess not....... Be glad to get it figured out.... :o

• Ok, here's a new one for you. My Bitdefender says it can't update because game mode is on, huh?? This is new as well. I'm really getting annoyed with the whole thing, it's causing my computer to do some strange things like not shutting down or restarting!! I uninstall it, everything works fine. I re-install it and everything goes crazy. My yahoo won't come on, my mail quits responding, the computer stops responding entirely, the list goes on and on. I can uninstall it and then go online and use the online scanner but I can't use it with it installed, huh?? It's almost like a rogue virus trying to get betdefender to whit working but I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus. I'm including a picture of what it says when I try to update, I hope it helps. And I do hope that you guys can figure out what is going on cause I really do like having bitdefender on my computer for obvious reasons. :(

post-28016-1256046395_thumb.jpg

• Hi,

I have BitDefender 2010 installed on windows vista x64. My antivirus won't work anymore. I can't scan, can't run any deep scans, or systems scans, or quick system scans. This is odd because the real time protection is still active and I am still able to update. I keep getting this message: Scan failed to execute. Please review the previous operation and try again.

I can't seem to find anyone with this type of problem on the site.

Please help!!!

thanks!

bob

• Alex Stanciu
    Alex Stanciu ✭✭
    edited October 2009

Hello bobapanbeers,

In order to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish.

5. Go to the desktop and upload the file that was created by the SupportTool on http://www.sendspace.com/, then send me a PM with the download link.

Thank you .

• if you have nero 7 on there that might be your problem... turns out, that was what was causing mine to do the same thing.....

Hi,

I have BitDefender 2010 installed on windows vista x64. My antivirus won't work anymore. I can't scan, can't run any deep scans, or systems scans, or quick system scans. This is odd because the real time protection is still active and I am still able to update. I keep getting this message: Scan failed to execute. Please review the previous operation and try again.

I can't seem to find anyone with this type of problem on the site.

Please help!!!

thanks!

bob

• if you have nero 7 on there that might be your problem... turns out, that was what was causing mine to do the same thing.....

thanks am having same issues as everyone else will try removing nero 7

• thanks am having same issues as everyone else will try removing nero 7

turns out it's the inCD feature of nero that causes it.... hope this helps....

• removed nero and scan works good again

strange thing is nero has always been on my computer and bitdefender was scanning fine last week

• removed nero and scan works good again

strange thing is nero has always been on my computer and bitdefender was scanning fine last week

i don't know what it is myself but i know it worked when i done it. you can reinstall nero, just leave out the inCD feature when you do..

• Hey man,

I have the same issue i tried to install bitdefender internet security 2010 on my laptop it worked fine at first but the scanner engine didn't work at all in normal it only worked under the safemode i guess theres an icompatibility between the scanner engine and the windows security and scanning engines. i tried the patches on the bitdefender site along with the task list replacement but it still won't work but i need to know two things :

1) is my computer protected from usb viruses and internet malwares?

2) is there a solution or any upcoming fixed versions of this product? or shall we remove the bitdefender software and replace it by another antivirus?

• bbenson
    edited November 2009

I'm having the same problem. I can't get it to scan at all and BD Support (Ticket ID: 200911111003198) wants to logon to my machine and troubleshoot. I don't really have that kind of time nor do I desire to be the guinea pig for helping them solidify their product... So, I tried to file for a refund through the website today, only to get denied over and over again because it says I typed in the wrong verification code (I used two different forms: the refund form and the customer service form and experience the same behavior with both).

There is no way I mistyped every attempt, and I attempted many times. Often the numbers/letters were so clearly visible (like 755745) that even my 5 yr old could read it, but still the return was an error.

This is very frustrating, I have been using BD AV for 2 years and have been very happy with it, which is why I upgraded to this version - which was supposed to be win7 compatible (which is what I'm running). I'm pretty disappointed and will probably look elsewhere, just want to get my refund. <_<

and I am running nothing out of the ordinary.. this is a fresh install of Win 7 x64. The most exotic things I'm running is Outlook and OpenOffice.org 3.1.

• Hey man,

I have the same issue i tried to install bitdefender internet security 2010 on my laptop it worked fine at first but the scanner engine didn't work at all in normal it only worked under the safemode i guess theres an icompatibility between the scanner engine and the windows security and scanning engines. i tried the patches on the bitdefender site along with the task list replacement but it still won't work but i need to know two things :

1) is my computer protected from usb viruses and internet malwares?

2) is there a solution or any upcoming fixed versions of this product? or shall we remove the bitdefender software and replace it by another antivirus?

Hi,

First, try to reinstall BD IS 2010. If you have any security solution installed on the computer, uninstall it, then install BitDefender.

Follow the instructions when installing and try to perform a clean install. It must work fine. If problem persists, please provide some details about product version, system, etc. to better figure out what is the problem.

Then:

1) If BitDefender security service is alive then you should be protected against usb and internet malware.

2) If problem is known there will be an upcoming fix for the product.

Cheers!

• hi please help re-installed bitdefender on and off twice but still will not scan keep getting this error message " SCAN FAILED TO EXECUTE.PLEASE REVIEW THE PREVIOUS OPERATION AND TRY AGAIN " please assist ASAP.

• Hello pcronje,

In order to further investigate this sittuation please follow the steps bellow :

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .(in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose "Run as administrator" )

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish .

5. Go to the desktop, upload the report on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download link or reply to our email with the report attached .

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• Hello rduff777,

Thank you .

Same problem as rduff777

here is my MXL file link http://www.sendspace.com/file/ytunrd

• Same problem as rduff777

here is my MXL file link http://www.sendspace.com/file/ytunrd

well, i fixed my own problem. For some reason my BitDefender Threat Scanner service was set to Disabled, i just set it to automatic and started the service, then opened the BitDefender window and hit scan now and it worked.

This is how i did it:

1. go to your start menu, hit Run

2. Type services.msc

3. look for "BitDefender Threat Scanner"

4. Double click on it,

5. under "Startup Type" set to Automatic.

6. under "Service Status" click on the start bottom.

7. Open BitDefender window, go to anti-virus, click on scan now.

• Hello LarNeX,

We are glad to hear that in your case, this sittuation have been solved. In case there are other users that are experiencing the same issue, besides LarNeX instructions, we recommend them to try the steps below as well :

1. Click on Start from Windows and choose Run .

2. In the Run text field type cmd then click on Ok .

3. Here type in the following instructions one after another :

"%ProgramFiles%\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\uiscan.exe" /unregserver then press the Enter key

"%ProgramFiles%\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\uiscan.exe" /regserver then press the Enter key

4. Try to run a scan and look if is working properly .

Thank you.

• can someone help me

i have an xp and bitdefender was working ok but now it wont scan either manual or automatic

i keeps coming up with "scan failed to execute" or no message at all

joe

• Hi I am having the same problem. I contacted BitDefender support with ticket number 201001301001207 and ticket number 201002091003818.

I received a reply to the first ticket but the solution they offered (replace tasks_system.xml whilst in safe mode) did not fix the problem of not being able to scan.

I have tried uninstalling BitDefender using their uninstall tool, and then reinstalling, still no joy.

Since reinstalling I have applied all the fixes again, and all the fixes that are mentioned on this post. *sigh* still it doesn't work. And I do not have Nero installed for CD burning.

I get the "scan failed to execute" message when I ask it to scan, in "expert" mode. When I am in "intermediate" mode, I do not get any messages.

It's really annoying, this is the whole point of buying the software... and I have tried to get some responses from BitDefender but it is crazy trying to get answers!

At least I am not the only customer with this issue, and also having problems getting answers from BitDefender.

Can anyone please help me with how to fix this issue???

• Hello! I bought Bitdefender yesterday and tried to do a scan on my computer by hitting the "scan now" button. Nothing happened, not even an error message. I thought that BD needed a day to connect to the BD server to perform a scan but even today it is doing the same thing. It says that 7 issues affect my computer but when I try to hit the "fix issues" button it all says "failed", even the virus scan. It says my computer has never been scanned for viruses, yet fails to scan every time I hit the button. Now it says that 364 days remain on my account but I haven't even been able to use BD on day one. After I get BD working, I'd like it to be reset to 365 if possible so I get what I paid for.post-27103-1252873424_thumb.jpg

If you have Nero on your computer then that might be the cause. The in-cd feature causes it to not work. Uninstall Nero if you have it, if it works, then reinstall Nero without the in-cd feature..... I hope this helps. God bless.....

• Hello Support Team.

I am getting the error - Scan failed to execute. Please review the previous operation and try again.

This is the 4th time, I am getting this error and every time I have reinstalled the software. It seems to be a serious bug which is required to be fixed ASAP.

I am attaching herewith Tasks_System

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsyeib

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Ankit

• Here is the file created by support tool

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dptyc8

• Do you have NERO on your computer? If you do, then uninstall it and then reinstall it without the INCD function.

Hello! I bought Bitdefender yesterday and tried to do a scan on my computer by hitting the "scan now" button. Nothing happened, not even an error message. I thought that BD needed a day to connect to the BD server to perform a scan but even today it is doing the same thing. It says that 7 issues affect my computer but when I try to hit the "fix issues" button it all says "failed", even the virus scan. It says my computer has never been scanned for viruses, yet fails to scan every time I hit the button. Now it says that 364 days remain on my account but I haven't even been able to use BD on day one. After I get BD working, I'd like it to be reset to 365 if possible so I get what I paid for.post-27103-1252873424_thumb.jpg
  • no, I dont have Nero.

• If you are using NERO burn software, try uninstalling it then doing a scan.. If it works, then reinstall NERO WITHOUT the INcd feature. It worked for me... Hope this helps.... God bless...

• Sorry, I didn't see your post. I would contact support then. Right click on bitdefenders icon by your clock, then select about. There is a toll free number you can call. That will get the ball rolling. God bless......

no, I dont have Nero.
  • Hello ankit_ag,

We have sent you a response to the Ticket ID: 201002091003818. Please be so kind as to follow the steps from the email in order to send us the tasks_system.xml file.

You will find this file on the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\ All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles (on XP)

or

C:\Users\ All Users\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles (on Vista)

or

C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles (on Windows 7).

Please copy the file to another folder and then attach it to the reply email or upload it on Sendspace and send me a PM with the download link.

Thank you.

• Hi

I also have the problem of Bitdefender not wanting to scan.

here is my link to the file you require,

Regards

http://www.sendspace.com/file/42h6c3

• Hello nanna,

Please let us know if you updated BitDefender to the latest Build Version, 13.0.20.347. In order to find out please right click on the BitDefender icon from the system tray, choose About and let us know if you are seeing this Build under Product Information.

Thank you.

• Hello nanna,

Please let us know if you updated BitDefender to the latest Build Version, 13.0.20.347. In order to find out please right click on the BitDefender icon from the system tray, choose About and let us know if you are seeing this Build under Product Information.

Thank you.

Yes, I've updated to that version.

• I still cant scan. Uninstalled and reinstalled about 3 times now. Still nothing.

Don't have nero on my system. What else can I try?

• paolo07fon
    edited May 2010
    Hello bobapanbeers,

In order to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish.

5. Go to the desktop and upload the file that was created by the SupportTool on http://www.sendspace.com/, then send me a PM with the download link.

Thank you .

I follow the steps here is the link thanks http://www.sendspace.com/file/6ewwhv

• Unknown
    edited May 2010

Hi all,

@Paolo07: Please mention what is the exact issue you are facing and, if possible, reproduce the steps you take until the error occur.

@nanna: Right click on the BitDefender icon next to your computer's clock and select About. There look for the Build under Product Information and post it in here.

Thanks!

• Hi. I am also having a huge problem with Bitdefender for over a month now.. just on this computer which is a 64-bit Windows Vista. It will neither update nor run a virus scan

i followed your instructions above and here is my file received from the support tool

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vp0mx3

any help is appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.