Vsserv.exe Not Responding Issues

I am having this same problem, AM running 2010 and have sent a support email with NO reply. Previously this has not been a problem (gettign a response to my email or w/ bitdefender; previous issues have been responded to and fixed quickly); this REALLY needs to be cleared up asap as I have recommended this product to others and have it running on two computers, BOTH with the problem.

See post 104, and 105 ......

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry74164

Quote:

#104:

I'm not going to get too excited just yet, .... but, ... I'd been having ''vsserv.exe not responding'' EVERY day recently. Needed to restart the service repeatedly in the same day on numerous occasions.

My PC was also responding very slowly when accessing Windows Explorer & programs. Even trying to open BD was a slow process, waiting for it to show itself.

On the 30th Dec', I decided to reinstall BD. I used the BitDefender_Uninstall_Tool.exe, then rebooted. I then used a Third party registry cleaner, and it found more BD left-overs !! I backed up these files, then allowed the program to delete them, then carried out a fresh install & update of BD.

Well, ... so far, 48 hours later, ..... NO vsserv.exe lock-ups; Windows Explorer opens like it should (quickly); programs, .... including BD, show themselves how they used to a while back - quickly. I'm not holding my breath, ... but it's been a while since the PC and BD behaved themselves. I'm hoping the pre-reinstall clean up of the Registry might have cleaned out something that was hindering things?

I'll post here IF, and as soon as BD greys out again.

#105:

''.................. 4 days and counting, ..... NO vsserv.exe not responding (or greyed out icon), and everything is working as quickly as in my lasy post ohmy.gif)

Did the clean install sort things out??? Was it the ''left overs'' that I cleaned out, causing the problems???

Any thoughts Alex? ..... if there's anything you might want me to send, feel free to ask.... I'll keep my fingers crossed it stays working.''

Comments

• Vsserv.exe is not available.

This has been my problem since purchasing BitDefender some months ago. After restarting the computer, BitDefender will start running normally for a short time but eventually the problem reappears. The same thing happens arter uninstalling and reinstalling BitDefender.

This is happening on one of my three installations.

The next time BitDefender begins running normally on this computer, I will examine the processes after vsserv.exe in the task manager. But then what do I do?

post-30419-1263860240_thumb.jpg

• Hi everybody.

From what I read, many many people are experiencing problems with the vsserv.exe process not responding.

What i would like to do, is write a small program to restart the service in the event that it hangs.

However, of course, the process cannot be killed if it is already running. tskill, pskill, taskkill etc all cannot force it to close.

So my question is, BitDefender Tech, is there another way we can kill this process?

Thanks guys =)

Cameron.

(FYI - Operating System im trying this on is Win7 Ulti 64)

• Hello Subaru,

Regarding your request, we have sent you an e-mail with some steps you can take when this issue occurs.

Please reply back to our e-mail if you have any other question.

Thank you.

• Hello Subaru,

Regarding your request, we have sent you an e-mail with some steps you can take when this issue occurs.

Thank you.

I'm having the same problem. I have 2 machines with the Bitdefender running on it. On one I uninstalled and reinstalled and seems to be working fine. Hoping I don't have to do the same thing for the other and lose all the settings.

• Hi guys

I have the same problem here as well so here it goes

First logon Grey ball reset computer ok for 2 mins then GREY BALL!! check out services running

: BitDefender Arrakis Server no running so start

: BitDefender Virus Shield not running so start this as well

Good for another 2 mins then GREY BALL!!

check services running

: BitDefender Virus Shield not running

This is just BS I have had enough of this S#@T program i have tried full uninstall then reinstall have even done a full system wipe and reinstall of all software but no F N good. I have been using this program for 3yrs now and 2009IS and 2010IS are just CRAP!!!

I run 2009IS on my laptop (which is a vista sp2 system) as 2010 would have issues the same as with running it on my desktop (XP pro sp3) Im not even gona mention the issues that are happenin with 2009 on my laptop the only reason i am using this program as it has very good reviews and i stick to somthing i like. (but not lately)

I dont know what u programers are doin but u turned a good program into utter crap.

• Aurelian, or any other technical support staff member,

I have exactly the same "turned off Bitdefender" and "vsserve.exe not accessible" issue... it seems to be a widespread problem from these forum inputs. I've already posted a support request with my contact e-mail previously.

I've recently acquired two licences to install bitdefender on four PCs, if we cannot solve this major security issue (my PCs are no longer protected) rapidly, I'll have to cancel my subscription and ask for compensation. Could you please respond with necessary diligence.

Hello Subaru,

Thank you.

• I am having problem with the vsserv.exe process not responding.

• hmm... problem here is that BDIS 2010 restarts every time shortly after OS (XP SP2 32bit) has started or restarted.

it happens just one time and then BD seems to be working fine once restarted itself.

BDIS v13.0.18.345

• hmm... problem here is that BDIS 2010 restarts every time shortly after OS (XP SP2 32bit) has started or restarted.

it happens just one time and then BD seems to be working fine once restarted itself.

BDIS v13.0.18.345

my program does not start and it is inconvienent to restart computer everyday when programs stops working.

• Same here. Its happening on both my Vista laptop and my Xp desktop. The worst thing is that there is no warning, only the grey ball. I notice it but my kids or my partner who dont know anything about it are going online with no security running. My partner uses eBay and Facebook alot and so risking passwords and usernames for them and Paypal. Ive just bought 2, 3 user copies to install on mine and friends and families laptops / pc's but i cant use them until its resolved. If this isnt sorted soon who do i seek to get my money back from? You or the out_let i got it from?

• Its disappointing, BitDefender is one of the best Internet Security software packages, but such a major flaw..

• Do I understand it well (from the complete absence of solutions proposed either through this forum or from 3-weeks of unsanwered personal e-mails to the technical support) that Bitdefender's technical support has been unable so far to resolve this major technical flow that leaves our machines open to external threats?

Not a single answer, no solution, not even an alert warning about a risk...

• Here is my solution that has worked for me so far:

1. Go to safe mode and log in as Admin

2. Go to services (Control panel->Adminstrative tools->Services) and in that list there is "Bitdefender Virus Shield", which is the vsserv.exe service.

3. Open the "Recovery" panel and in there, set 1st, 2nd and subsequent failures to "Restart the Service"

That will recover the vsserv.exe automatically after it is down, which I had done manually before.

• This problem has been around since October . Is it going to be fixed or should we expect it will be like this as long as we use it ???? A refund would seem like the way to go .

• Is there any responce to this from Bitdefender support? My pc's are been left open to attack and there is no help. The version on my xp machine wont hardly work at all and it was a clean system.

• TuPP3
    edited February 2010

jim bowie and cjm1979, If you are able to do the steps I posted, I recommend it as my BD2010 has worked for about a week perfectly after those changes.(The logo stays red)

If you aren't familiar with, or just don't have time for adjusting "advanced" things, then I would try looking for another solution temporarily.

But if you want quickfix it and keep on working on your PC with BD2010, the steps are just above your posts, I can give some additional information if you have something to ask about that.

BD developers can give some comments on that "fix" too, I would appreciate it.

• jim bowie and cjm1979, If you are able to do the steps I posted, I recommend it as my BD2010 has worked for about a week perfectly after those changes.(The logo stays red)

If you aren't familiar with, or just don't have time for adjusting "advanced" things, then I would try looking for another solution temporarily.

But if you want quickfix it and keep on working on your PC with BD2010, the steps are just above your posts, I can give some additional information if you have something to ask about that.

BD developers can give some comments on that "fix" too, I would appreciate it.

I tried it the other day but it didnt work but there again im not sure i did it right. What mine as been doing is saying the service cant be started at all. I cant even go into the folder and click the vsserve.exe which previously worked.

Today i was about to install a 3 month trial of Norton i got with a mag (I hate Norton but thought it was worth a go. Before that i decided to do the repair option for Bitdefender in the start menu. After it finished and updated i dont seem to be having any problems (watch it F*!k up now!!) apart from im having problems with home network that i didnt have before (no biggy) and it all seems ok. Anyone else tried the repair option?

• I got so fed up with Bitdefender crashing and having to restart my PC, I decided to make Bit Watcher. So if you’re having the problem where vsserv.exe keeps crashing or any other of Bitdefenders Processes then this will help, you can download it for free from www.demonoid.com (bit torrent client required) and search for Bit watcher, if its not on there straight away try again later as i have just this min uploaded it.

Bit Watcher constantly monitors Bitdefenders processes, when indubitably a process crashes Bit Watcher will restart that process to ensure you are still protected by Bitdefender. If a critical process cannot be recovered, Bit Watcher will instantly enable Windows firewall and disconnect you from the internet to prevent any outside attacks until you get the chance to restart your PC. Place in your start-up folder so it’ll start with Windows. You can choose for it run in the background and it uses very little memory.

System Requirements:

• .Net framework 3.5

• Bitdefenders default installation path on drive C:\

• Windows XP SP3 (possibly SP2, though not been tested. Vista should work apart from the activating and deactivating Windows firewall, again though not been tested.)

Ow yer and Bitdefender 2010 lol

Working fine on my PC not had any problems, though I DONT except any liability of damage to your PC or data loss use at your own risk!

• Sorry guys, I keep getting the error Torrent deleted or not in pool yet. I have left it running all night and hoped it would work this morning. Ill post back here once its working.

• Hi Ive put a torrent for Bit Watcher on btjunkie.org for now as demonoid are having a problem uploading win applications.

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Bit-Watcher-20...685e8def789bc44

or search for Bit Watcher 2010

Hope it helps

• Hello Subaru,

Thank you.

Well then, send it to me as well please. In fact, if it is a viable solution, why don't you just post it? It appears that a huge number of people have the same issue running various incarnations of Windows.

• Is there anyway to fix this issue? It has been going on for months. It seems to have gotten better at one point, now the gray icon is not there all day. However, when it does appear seems to be during updates or product downloads, where the computer gets super slow and icon turns gray for about 10 minutes. Literally cannot do anything while the icon is gray since comp is so slow. Once whatever happens is resolved though, icon goes back to red. However this repeats many many times throughout the day. Like I said, i think it happens when product tries to download something from BD (definitions update or whatever).

Mid January deleted BD and am using a freeware version of another software which seems to be working fine. Though I still want BD to work since i paid $70 for this crap. Once my license is up I will never be buying this garbage again. Sad because I've been using it for several years and have had no problems until 2009 and 2010. I was having issues already in the 09 version but BD said "2010 has resolved the issue". Obviously it did not.

• Hello all,

Regarding this type of issue, from what we noticed so far it may appear for a number of causes.

First of all, there may be a conflict between BitDefender and another security product. Please be so kind as to make sure you uninstalled any other security solution you might have on the same computer (any spyware removal, Ad Aware, Spybot or another antivirus). Having more then one security product installed on the same PC can degrade performance and cause system instability. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the background. We recommend you to uninstall all the other security solutions in order for BitDefender to work properly.

Second, it may appear because the previous antivirus solution has not been removed properly and the new antivirus conflicts with the old one.

And third, it may be caused by the fact that the installation did not occur correctly on the system. Here we have the cases where the installation is not complete or the user uses a CD which contains an older installation kit.

If the issue still persists please be so kind as to follow the steps from this link in order to provide us with the reports we need for further investigation.

The reports will be sent directly to our Technical Support Team and you will receive an automatic reply shortly. Please send me a PM with the ticket ID from the Subject of the e-mail so that I may analyze the reports and send you a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.

• Hi Ive put a torrent for Bit Watcher on btjunkie.org for now as demonoid are having a problem uploading win applications.

Hope it helps

Hi guys had a few bugs occur, at the moment Bit Watcher is only monitoring & restarting the processes as they crash which is fine until the process fails to restart. I'm rewriting some of the coding to improve on firewall functionality and error handling within the application, plus adding a few extra features. I'm scrapping the torrent for now and will upload the updated version in due time.

Bagleys

• After i used the repair option in Bitdefender in the Start menu i have had no issues on my Xp desktop. As anyone else tried this?

• I can't access Bit Defender Internet Security 2010. I get the following error. I have sent a message to BD Support but am hoping to get an answer right now by asking in this forum.

capturesk.jpg

I'm running Win 7 and have no other security software on my computer.

I'm very concerned that I'm unprotected at the moment. I've only had BDIS 2010 installed for a couple days now.

Please help.

• I don't want to waste anyone's time so I'm reporting that I received support through email which required me to reinstall...hopefully this will take care of the problem.

I'll post here if it doesn't work.

Thanks....

• I must thank customer service for an outstanding job. I contacted then this morning my time 3 am or so...within an hour I received a response from them with instructions and links to files that world solve my issue.

I am extremely happy with the service I received.

When the software errored at 3 am, 20 min later, I removed it and installed a different security package thinking it was going to take BD customer service too long to sort things out. Then moments later I was in shock to see a waiting message in my inbox. So I restored my operating drive to a state with no security installed and followed the instructions to reinstall BD IS 2010.

My computer has been running smoothly with no errors from that moment forward.

So many thanks from a satisfied customer.

• Don't get too excited yet. This issue has been going on for a while and a lot of people are experiencing it. I had though I solved it as well and it came back a few days later. If you really did solve the issue please advise what you did so others can benefit from your experience.

• Well, my icon is hit and miss again. Sometimes it shows and sometimes it's missing.

Don't know what to do...

• Hello bleev,

Please try to open BitDefender from Start -> (All) Programs -> BitDefender 2010 -> BitDefender Internet Security 2010 or using the BitDefender icon from your Desktop and let us know if you are receiving an error message.

Thank you.

Hope it helps

Hi the new torrent is now on demonoid.com fully working, upload to other sites if you wish. Search for Bit Watcher 2010 v2 or the link is here

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2139612/6713476/

• JGray152
    edited February 2010

Its really bad when someone has to make a separate program just "watch" bit defender to make sure it doesn't crash.

You shouldn't have to uninstall ANY software other than antivirus software. Other porgrams such as Spybot S&D, ADAware and other programs like those should still be used in conjunction with bit defender or ANY anti-virus software because all AV software is horrible at catching spyware.

Just make the darn program more reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything else is GREAT. I bet I can install ANY other anti-virus software on the computer and they will function just fine without uninstalling other anti-malware programs.

• I am having this same problem, AM running 2010 and have sent a support email with NO reply. Previously this has not been a problem (gettign a response to my email or w/ bitdefender; previous issues have been responded to and fixed quickly); this REALLY needs to be cleared up asap as I have recommended this product to others and have it running on two computers, BOTH with the problem.
  • Hi all,

Here's something you guys can try until the folks at Bitdefender solves this issue. Apparently the vsserv.exe application has to do with the automatic updates feature. Seems the application hangs, because it doesn't know which file to place the update info. So the program shutsdown and stays down until one of several things is done. 1. Simply turn off the automatic update feature and do manual updates. I tried this and no more "grey ball". Or you can try these if you are computer savvy.

Open a command (dos) window: [windows key] + [R], then type cmd, enter ipconfig /flushdns, re-boot computer, or you can try this.

Disable Automatic Updates, Reboot into safe mode, rename the file httproxy.dll from BitDefender's install folder (usually c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender 2009) and reboot again.

If the problem still occurs, rename the file back.

• Hi all,

Here's something you guys can try until the folks at Bitdefender solves this issue. Apparently the vsserv.exe application has to do with the automatic updates feature. Seems the application hangs, because it doesn't know which file to place the update info. So the program shutsdown and stays down until one of several things is done. 1. Simply turn off the automatic update feature and do manual updates. I tried this and no more "grey ball". Or you can try these if you are computer savvy.

Open a command (dos) window: [windows key] + [R], then type cmd, enter ipconfig /flushdns, re-boot computer, or you can try this.

Disable Automatic Updates, Reboot into safe mode, rename the file httproxy.dll from BitDefender's install folder (usually c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender 2009) and reboot again.

If the problem still occurs, rename the file back.

Thanks this has helped, so far so good.

• I have just requested my money refunded for BDTS2010.

I have performed the repairs that BD support has asked me to and it has not worked.

My computers (3) have been unprotected on countless occasions and I have pulled my hair out trying to fix it.

They are convinced that it's another security program conflict but they have no idea as two of the machines are fresh OS installs with no other software on them.

I have lost all confidence with BD and their support department. They obviously have no idea.

• Bit Watcher v2.1

What’s been updated in version 2.1: Extremely quick process crash detection – Enable/Disable which processes you wish to monitor – Smoother shut down/log off (Bit Watcher now detects shutdown/log off, it still isn’t perfect though but will stop monitoring processes and close, rather than be forced to close by windows.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2205971/3356738/

• I would try this, but my problem is vsserv crashed instantly when restarted. This only cropped up in the last few days for me.

• Bagleys
    edited April 2010
    I would try this, but my problem is vsserv crashed instantly when restarted. This only cropped up in the last few days for me.

Yer mine went through a phase like that, i tried what an earlier post said, and disabled the automatic updates and it worked for me as a temporary fix, so try that if you haven't already.

• When i try going into safe mode and opening bt2010 i get a Services are Loading screen, no settings.

• When i try going into safe mode and opening bt2010 i get a Services are Loading screen, no settings.

Ive not tried this but in theory it should work. Have you renamed the file httproxy.dll?, if you do this bitdefender shouldnt be able to connect to its update source so there shouldnt be any need to disable auto updates first; hopefully you can then boot windows normaly (and bitdefender wont crash lol) then disable the auto updates, then rename the file back to httproxy.dll

ROBH84 "Disable Automatic Updates, Reboot into safe mode, rename the file httproxy.dll from BitDefender's install folder (usually c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender 2009) and reboot again."

• carterhawk
    edited April 2010

Nope, vsserv still crashes as soon as it loads. This only recently started happening. Either bit defender broke in a recent update, or a recent microsoft update did.

• Hello all,

A major update was released last week to the 13.0.20.247 Build. Please update BitDefender and let us know if the issue persists. Also, when you receive this error message please press CTRL+ALT+DELETE from the keyboard in order to enter in Task Manager, go to the Processes tab. Here look after a process named vsserv.exe and let me know if you are seeing it in the list.

Please also follow the steps bellow and send us the diagnostic reports from the support tool in order to be able to analyze them and provide you with a solution:

1. Open My Computer/Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file.(in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose "Run as administrator").

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish.

5. Go to the desktop, upload the report on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download link or reply to our email with the report attached.

Thank you.

• I believe the latest update posted by Carmen may have solved the problem for many people, but I hope I haven't spoken too soon.

For the last three days, Vsserv has not 'hogged' my system and even when the grey icon appears, the BitDefender services have loaded in less than a minute without freezing my PC.

After 5 months, one hopes this will be the end to this dreaded problem. And if it, it's about time but thank you.

• I have Bitdefender Antivirus 2010 and I just recently started experiencing this issue as well. Bitdefender starts up ok at first then turns grey and has the message 'Bitdefender services are not responding......'

The odd thing is it only started doing this AFTER I ran a deep system scan. Previously, I had been running a pretty fresh install of Win7 (reinstalled after the bitdefender fiasco that marked everything as a virus). I had reinstalled bitdefender but never ran a total virus scan of the computer. I would scan the odd file individually, but never did a system scan. Something changed after I ran the deep scan and now bitdefender won't stay active. I did have automatic updates enabled also. Hopefully this bit of information will allow them to fix this issue. As for me, I am going to uninstall bitdefender, then reinstall it and not do another system virus scan.

...my .02

bdeffedmeinthea

• Only Download Bit Watcher from ME

There is a fake torrent thats been added to www.fulldls.com and www.vertor.com under the name of Bit Watcher Patched.

Do not download from those sites i have not uploaded them!

Its detected as Trojan: Win32/DotTorrent

and tries to install something to this directory:

C:\documents and setting\user\local settings\temp\install-773.exe

Its size is 3.5mb where as the program Ive wrote is only 91.74 KB

• I use bitdefender on my XP and it has worked great for the first month, but now I have a problem with the vsserv.exe process- it's using over than 50% from my cpu.

What can I do? It doesnwt stop, and my computer works slowly.

Please help me!

• Mine is still crashing. Customer support took a week to come back with that uninstall visual c++ stuff, which i had tried, and tried again, and has yet to work.

• WORK AROUND TO GRAY ICON

We run BitDefender Internet Security Build 13.0.20.47 in Windows XP Pro. We began to notice the system tray BD icon graying out. We right clicked on the icon, and clicked "Update Now". It woke up to bright red in a second or two.

We disabled auto update, but got the alert triangle, and a request to fix the "issue." We never had this problem before with the full version of BitDefender. (We had down scaled to just the Internet version to save money.) So we put it back on auto, and do the workaround as needed. BitDefender performs and protects as usual.

We hope this temporary fix helps someone. At least, you don't have to reboot.

This discussion has been closed.