Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• Cris, did you also update the weekly updater .exe file for those that cannot run BD right now?

• Yes, I too have this problem. Every file on my system is infected with Trojan.FakeAlert.5

Every file is marked as a virus. It seems that BitDefender may have been compromised or hacked.

Please fix this soon.

To stop this from happening or if it has happened, turn off automatic updates for BitDefender and turn off the Real-Time protection. If you downloaded an update within the last two hours, you probably will have this problem.

Quick turn off your updates, and BitDefender, for the love, fix this issue quickly!

• To Support:

How do I get a refund, you guys don't deserve to be in business. I would rather try Norton, Panda, or whoever else becasue something like this is inexcusable.

Wankers!!!!!

Like this one, a little bit hard with the words though. I bought this peice of software a month ago and now I won't my money back and a excuse from BitDefender! Time to contact all major computer news sites and tell them about this.

• Updated. Anything we have to do manually to fix your guys mistakes?

• to the developers

dont you have an executable for download for the fix/ as my pc's bitdefender wont even download any updates, it says turn off game mode and it is off!

am really annoyed with this. I am going to uninstall this crap after i restore all of my files.

• Ok, Have the update but, what to do with all these system files in quarantine? We all get the same as D May says.

• Bunta
    edited March 2010

Hey hey nice work BitDefTeam! It was a gread testing patch. I work now more than 3 hours on my pc to fix all the problems and save my data. Ok now i get it.

But i have to say: You FAIL!

Do you test your patches??? Or only hope that they works? I hope that all users will get a present for this ###### patch who destroy the whole system.

Plz BitDefender test your patches!

Sry for my bad english.

fail-boat.jpg

• When I try to restore the quarantined files most of the files already exist.

Should we replace them or only restore the ones that don't exist? Quite a dangerous call, dunno what to do. Most of this files on the quarantine list are windows files.

One last thing, I can access a restore point from yesterday night, if I do it, I will loose EVERYTHING I did since the date right? I never did a restore, is it the best solution?

• to the developers

dont you have an executable for download for the fix/ as my pc's bitdefender wont even download any updates, it says turn off game mode and it is off!

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/Deskt...ts-Updates.html

• i dont think this was just an update issue, since under this website it lists a type of virus that might actually attack virus programs. http://www.pc1news.com/virus/alias-heurist...k-k-165600.html

• When they issue a new update, there's no reason that you won't be able to un-quarantine those files after.

Slight problem - Update no longer works..... How about an exe to download?

Tried to restore before i went to the forums, couldn't that file was quarantined, along with a bajillion others, tried the "FIX" i do not have permission to run the file, because what ever i need for permissions is quarantined in a folder i have no access to because bit defender quarantined it self.

Please help bit defender, how do i run the updater with no permissions?

• just uninstalled the product. thought BD was the first AV r=product around and it all seemed so ###### perfect until this crappy updated. this ###### big time!

where are your product/support/qa leads? someone's gotta be accountable and be made sure that this aint gonna happen again.

• Ok, Have the update but, what to do with all these system files in quarantine? We all get the same as D May says.
  • :( i had restore my system twice to previous stage but still didn't work. i am using window 7 home premium. but my xp seem no problem at all. Pls any solution?

post-32205-1269110943_thumb.png

• has anyone updated bitdefender with the new update and really got it back working? I ask because I really dont want to mess my computer up even more.

Siim

• Herman, you need to chill.

ANY & ALL antivirus software & antimalware tools can have a false positive!

There's an option for all of them to allow the user to check the files to be sure first for a reason!

First, the issue is BitDefender and their poor testing. This is not the first time many of us have had issues with their automatic update however this is the worst, and for me certainly the last.

Second, most of us trust our security software which includes its default settings when installed. If someone changes those settings, then yes they are responsible for their own destiny. I, like the vast majority of users, left my defaults alone relying on the competence and expertsie of BitDefender.

Third, for many the damage is done in one or more ways. For some its as minor as recovery or restore which is a pain. For me, I turned off the realtime scan and rebooted and now cannot get into regular or safe mode. My decision to reboot was based on my need to solve the problem and my expectation the problem was not caused by BitDefender and therefore I needed to restore my system.

Finally regarding your comment that all virus and malware solutions are prone to false positives, you are trying to provide a factual argument against an emotional one with the predictable result of showing you simply don't get it. It's not about the false positives, it's about the irrepairable damage done.

BitDefender - if I have to reinstall the O/S our history together is over. A blunder of this size is simple inexcusable. I highly recommend you get your consumer affairs team engaged because I'm not taking this one lying down as I have the past udpate errors on your part.

• I fixed my comp without their patch. Now i've uninstalled BitDefender.. BYE!

• The update is now available on the BitDefender Update Servers. Please make a BitDefender update and the problem should be fixed.

Cris.

YIPPIE, what a good new when Windows can't even start.

Do I need to be more sarcastic to make feel how furious I am ?

• Joining the long list of people that have been affected by this horrible issue.

My girlfriend got the popup that a virus had been found, she was just on her way out and thought awww crap, better run a deep scan to be safe. She set it going and went out, came back 1 hour later. to see over 70k viruses were found.... also BD completly stopped working, it had removed itself.... all windows forms are complety empty, no buttons or text, tried a system restore but came up with errors saying needed files were missing... tried a restart and it failed to boot and tried to restore an earlier version, windows booted but all window forms were still completly empty and no applications work at all....

As this is my GF's home business machine she is correctly very upset and worried as a major contract was ready to be handed over on Monday..... will try to salvage what data we can and fresh install tomorrow...

Will not be using BD again...

• I would like to know how is this even possible? And i want to see posted on this forum the resignation or dismissal of everyone involved in this, management included. How is this possible? You screwed up two computers and my external with all my back up data. I want to see people fired for this.

• Chris,

could you please confirm the engine version and the virus signature before we switch back on the anti virus - I have

Engine: 7.38048

Virus sig: 5474032

and 4 computers with AV off - only one was badly affected.

Many thanks for the quick response - It does not help having all the screamers here - In many years of BD use, I have never had an infected computer - one small glitch does not a relationship break!

Andrew

• BD isn't doing the automatic update, still showing the update as disabled. I need to download the update on another computer and move it over with a flash, but I don't think my computer will find the USB drive. little Help from BD on what exactly to do would be nice

• QUOTE (AdrianH @ Mar 20 2010, 08:38 PM)

To Support:

How do I get a refund, you guys don't deserve to be in business. I would rather try Norton, Panda, or whoever else becasue something like this is inexcusable.

Wankers!!!!!

Like this one, a little bit hard with the words though. I bought this peice of software a month ago and now I won't my money back and a excuse from BitDefender! Time to contact all major computer news sites and tell them about this.

Harsh I think not!!! How much money, time and effort is this going to cost people to just sort out the mess they made.

• BD isn't doing the automatic update, still showing the update as disabled. I need to download the update on another computer and move it over with a flash, but I don't think my computer will find the USB drive. little Help from BD on what exactly to do would be nice

try this.

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/Deskt...ts-Updates.html

• Nicely done Bitdefender. Screwed my stationary computer up badly! I have been a customer for many years but next time I am switching for sure...

• Hey Folks

Is that an actualy BD tech commenting on here? I always buy norton, but did research last night and was wowed by the reviews for this product. Now my crippled home network is in shambles. Has anyone had success with system restore? Hope a solution is soon.

• i cant get my windows to turn the f*** on! how in the world can i install the fix? OMFG!

• Chris,

could you please confirm the engine version and the virus signature before we switch back on the anti virus - I have

Engine: 7.38048

Virus sig: 5474032

and 4 computers with AV off - only one was badly affected.

Many thanks for the quick response - It does not help having all the screamers here - In many years of BD use, I have never had an infected computer - one small glitch does not a relationship break!

Andrew

These are the versions I just updated to - re-enabled AV, and it appears to be acting normally.

• The update is now available on the BitDefender Update Servers. Please make a BitDefender update and the problem should be fixed.

Cris.

Thanks Cris, puffff, that one saved my laptop.

• ElorOnceDark
    edited March 2010

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with Bit Defender Internet Security 2010. After the mutiple positive Trojan Fake hits, I tried to run Bit Defender, but it wouldn't run so I restarted. Now my PC won't start at all. I've tried safe mode, and a Windows recovery disc, but still no luck. The computer hangs with the message

interactive logon process initialzation has failed. Please consult event log for more details.

The question I have is, how can I get the update if I can't even get my computer to start?

• For those that did NOT restart, it seems that windows automatically replaced the quarantined files.

I tried & it says already exists.

Cris.

PLEASE explain what we need to do to fix the issues. I started a deep system scan and it quaranteened 13,000@ items. I found this forum and stopped the scan and turned off real time protection and as instructed haven't rebooted. I've downloaded the update, but I now don't know what to do. Should I start another scan or what? Need to know what I need to do!

• So is there going to be fix realease for computers that now wont startup thanks to this mess up. Now i have 2 computers in my house that will not startup and will not recover. I need a fix for this ASAP!

• These are the versions I just updated to - re-enabled AV, and it appears to be acting normally.

I too have updated the latest and have successfully switched real time protection back on with no ill effects.

Now to tell my girlfriend (who rebooted) that her laptop is knackered. :( END OF BITDEFENDER for me! at least, it bloody should be!

• Tried to restore before i went to the forums, couldn't that file was quarantined, along with a bajillion others, tried the "FIX" i do not have permission to run the file, because what ever i need for permissions is quarantined in a folder i have no access to because bit defender quarantined it self.

Please help bit defender, how do i run the updater with no permissions?

I smell a class action lawsuit...I'm on board. My computer deleted itself basically. Had over 55000 files "DELETED" which one of them was BitDefender itself. My entire OS was eaten by this OOOPS we're sorry we don't test are updates MISTAKE by BitDefender. More like BitDestroyer cause it destroyed my computer bit by bit.

However I must digress. I do use an AWESOME program that has never FAILED me called Acronis so luckily I had a backup without this awesome update. However I did an update with BitDefender and it states there is a 1319k update that needs to download but never does, but then reports to me that I am up-to-date.

I don't trust this seems FISHY to me so I will continue to keep Real-Time Destroyer disabled until my computer can successfully download that so called PATCH :D

Also my latest signature is 5494847 with scan engine 7.30856

• I tried to install the new update but I get an error '1652'. Thanks BD :)

• EVERYTHING SEEMS OK NOW.

:o For those that were quick to disable real time protection like me, I just did an update then a deep scan and everything SEEMS to be ok. (for now) yet it did come up with a bunch of "Skipped items". I'm gonna stick it out with BitDefender for a while to see how this goes.

For those not being able to log into windows:

try booting into safe mode (press F8 before OS startup) and see if you can boot then. if so, i don't see a problem with fixing your operating system.

• Working now after the 1300kb update.

However,

any ideas on how to restore files? because it is saying to me that the specified file path is invalid....

Hope all of you guys don't lose too much of your files, because i nearly did and i would have been devastated.

• Just started my computer about 20 mins ago. Opened up IE and everything went to ######. Explorer still works but thats about it. ###### near everything else wont work. By the time I was able to search the Internet for a solution to this problem I had a ton of sys files in quarantine. So I am stuck on a Saturday afternoon waiting to get this fixed so i can use my computer. This is just unacceptable. What other (Anti Virus)program has completely violated an entire system, system files and program files, to this degree?!? i thought they at least tested this stuff before they released it.

Win 7 Home Pre. 64

• At 2:03, there were 1337 users reading this topic...just wanted to point that out lol.

• I would like to know how is this even possible? And i want to see posted on this forum the resignation or dismissal of everyone involved in this, management included. How is this possible? You screwed up two computers and my external with all my back up data. I want to see people fired for this.

By that principle, we would also see every banker in the world being fired for f**** around with our money hahahah.

Now that would be fun :D

• These are the versions I just updated to - re-enabled AV, and it appears to be acting normally.

Thanks for that - I have now started a deep system scan and all seems to be going as planned - it will be interesting to see what is quarantined after the scan - now, although it is late and teh rest of teh family are in bed sick, time to update all the other machines - actually not sure if any are 64 bit - probably not! Only use thatfor my photo machine.

Andrew in Addis

• Now how do we get the files out of Quarantine? When I click restore nothing happens.... no popups, no confirmation, no error message, files still listed... just nothing. Is there a folder I can access to restore these files.

• quarantined files that can't be restored due to not been able to find path were not deleted/quarantined because they were in use by system, so they were just copied into quarantine instead. bitdefender runs normally now.

• On the topic of not everyone being a computer guru, just thought I'd throw this out:

Do not panic and reformat your drive without considering that all of you documents/photos/data/work are still on the drive and not effected.

For me and from skimming through, it seems that it only effects dll and exe files, meaning all your hard work is still there. Even if it detected those files, they will be in the quarentine most likely.

Some people have they have reformatted. I hope these people knew what they were doing, had their data backed up/ on a seperate drive, or grabbed it off first.

This is understanably an exceptional situation and upsetting, I hope that not too many people will react in the moment and make things worse then they already are for themselves.

In the best case, if the computer is already unusable, see my previous post about system restore.

In the worst case, your looking at a system reinstall/repair and probably reinstalling some applications.

Still a very big deal, but not as much as losing weeks of work since you'd been lapsing on your backups.

• SuperGhosty
    edited March 2010

Unfortunately I am one of those who were affected by this unfortunate event. I've had over 2000 items in quarantine and with no way of restoring them due to "can't find the original path" message; however, even if I could restore them I simply don't have the power nor patience to go over 2000 items and restore them manually so...I formated my system entirely and farewell to BitDefender.

Cris.

The update has worked for me. Although I admit I cringed when I turned the AV back on. I had over 15000 files blocked but everything seems to be working now. I am currently rerunning the scan (had my finger poised to stop it if the fakealert came back up) and it is working fine, no infected files so far and it is up to 215000 scanned items. Was fortunate that I did not tell Bitdefender to delete files, otherwise I would be screwed.

Thank you for fixing this quickly but, like others here, I am not very happy that this happened. Luckily I was watching the March Madness NCAA tourney and had blown off working on my laptop this morning otherwise I would be fuming about losing worktime.

• screwed dude.... my system doesnt start now.....

Did a startup recovery of Windows 7 and then it started but again all core system files were moved to Quarantine

You guys have ###### of a task cleaning this up :P.... I m a geek I dont mind reinstalling OSes...... but think of the average user :))) screwed

System :

Windows 7 x64 (Just installed 2 days ago)

Bitdefender Antivirus 2010 (Installed Yesterday)

System Screwed immediately on boot this morning

I started my other laptop with Wifi OFF and its working fine.... its got Bitdefender 2010 toooo

• Working now after the 1300kb update.

However,

any ideas on how to restore files? because it is saying to me that the specified file path is invalid....

Hope all of you guys don't lose too much of your files, because i nearly did and i would have been devastated.

@ your work! If I must I will discontinue your product and go to a more reliable one like Kaspersky.

• I am running Win 7. I noticed the Trojan.FalseAlert.5 problem this AM and I noticed that running programs could trigger the alerts and quarantine. Either BD was running amok or the trojan got around BD. Regardless, I saw the potential for BD to cripple my system by quaranteeing files so I disabled the BD AV component. I remain concerned that there could be a trojan that got around BD still active on my PC.

I just saw Chris' post about the update. I tried to update twice via the BD GUI but no updates were found at BD. Has an update been provided? I don't see my BD updater in the quarantine folder so I believe it is working as designed.

I am very uncomfortable running without any AV program active. What are the rest of you doing in the meantime? Running free versions of other AV packages? I am open to recommendations.

Thank you.