Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• I'm having the same problem and I have vista x64.

I've updated BD and it says "Last update installed successfully" and there does not seem to be any more "Trojan.FakeAlert.5" alerts popping up anymore. This started while I was playing a game, and since the game crashed often I kept Task manager open on my second screen. A lot of the services have been stopped, as it seems.

My question is how do I know that the problem is solved? Does the lack of pop-ups saying a file has been quarantined mean the update has fixed the problem? Also when I try to restore some files a pop-up appears saying:

" A file with the same name already exists. Do you want to replace it?

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\smartscn.dll"

What do I do about this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• I have a question, I scanned my PC before I even knew something was wrong but then noticed the BD was saying it stopped a virus from infecting my computer too many times so instead of rebooting, I just went on the forum to see if anyone knew anything about it. Obviously you do but what do I do from here? I mean my computer seems to be working fine but am I to do an update or another scan?

Thanks, Abe

• Ok, some guys got their setup back because they stopped their BD before it's too late.

BUT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP PEOPLE WITH A DEAD WINDOWS ?

ie where to download the patch, how to fix this bug using rescue cd, usb....

• The update is now available on the BitDefender Update Servers. Please make a BitDefender update and the problem should be fixed.

Cris.

What if Bit Defender isn't working ? How then do we update the virus detection files ?

• Hm..really disappointed.. this antivirus software always give some VSSERV.exe not responding and now trojan.fakealert.5 somemore, caused me to restore my system twice to my previous stage. I had no problem when i was using kaspersky or norton. When search through web i thought this is the best antivirus program that i can trust but it really not the true. I have no idea whether it can be trust anymore....

• cant find the post from before, but i got a lot of skipped items since the update, 50k out of 150k. isnt that a lot...no?

• What if Bit Defender isn't working ? How then do we update the virus detection files ?

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/Deskt...ts-Updates.html

• This happened to both my laptops, was able to restore my Gateway laptop but my son's Asus is killed. I had to hit F2 and change the boot mode to the disc drive as primary so I can restore from the disc, but there is no repair option, only to wipe the drive and reinstall windows. So that means that he will lose an incredible amount of work he spent researching and bookmarking sources for a huge project.

This is not the first time that bit defender has done this to me in my 1 year of using it, time to try something new or go back to mcafee which may have been a resource hog but it never melted down my computers either.....

• Hi,

We downloaded the 2010 trial version last night. We have had the same problems as everyone else. Does anyone know in the trial version how we restore the quarantined files?

Thanks

• Fortunately, I had made a System Restore point just before this hit. I was able to get my system back online with no bad effects that I can see.

The only program that is not working is BitDefender. I have disabled that and will not be using it again.

It's a trust thing. Sorry.

• The only upside of this disaster is that I will be able to tell my granchildren that I was part of the Bitdefender EPIC FAIL of 2010. We are part of history now! :P

• One question.. My home PC already wen down. It's done. But what will happen on my office pc on monday? hen i start the pc, will it download automaticly the new (clean) update or what?

• Unfortunately I am one of those who were affected by this unfortunate event. I've had over 2000 items in quarantine and with no way of restoring them due to "can't find the original path" message; however, even if I could restore them I simply don't have the power nor patience to go over 2000 items and restore them manually so...I formated my system entirely and farewell to BitDefender.

Was that really necessary?

1) All quanratined files are still on disk. Heck i got 20000 quarantined files, making my pc unbootable, but still i know they were not lost.

2) BD shows that (somewhat weird) error when the file already exists. This can happen with system files when windows system protection kicks in and automatically restores a copy from a shadow backup.

3) I don't understand why people say they can't restore 10000 files one by one. Hasn't anyone tried to use the "shift" key to select all files at once? I mean... duhhh!

• I'm running Windows 7 x64 with Bit Defender Internet Security 2010. After the mutiple positive Trojan Fake hits, I tried to run Bit Defender, but it wouldn't run so I restarted. Now my PC won't start at all. I've tried safe mode, and a Windows recovery disc, but still no luck. The computer hangs with the message

interactive logon process initialzation has failed. Please consult event log for more details.

The question I have is, how can I get the update if I can't even get my computer to start?

Alright, I did a system restore from a save point from yesterday, and I was able to get my system to boot. This really shakes my confidence in the product though.

• How come there's no manual update for GameSafe?Why they still sell it if is discontinued support?

• Dont know what to do... Windows doesnt boot couse logon.exe deleted, repairfunction doesnt work couse no restorepoints and or images found...

only point who could work is the command promt from win7 repair function ?!

but "sfc /scannow" say: " There is a system restore pending wich requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and Run sfc again"

PLEASE HELP =(

• Believe it or not, this whole problem came as a relief for me! I was downloading some not-so-safe-seeming stuff, then suddenly my Antivirus is freaking out and I can't open anything! I figured I had screwed up big time! Luckily I was able to shut down in time to commence a System Restore, booted back up just fine, found this topic and turned the AV off.

I downloaded the update and everything is running smoothly!

I'm using Win 7 Pro & Bit Def Antivirus 2010

Thanks for the quick fix Bit Defender! Cheers!

• Well that was no help for me. Ran it and BD still won't function.

Cris, you need to give some advice here since I won't be the only one.

• Hi,

We downloaded the 2010 trial version last night. We have had the same problems as everyone else. Does anyone know in the trial version how we restore the quarantined files?

Thanks

yeh, im looking for the same thing, keeps saying specified file path invalid. Lets hope something arises. The trial version method will be the same as the normal method.

gd luck!

• The only upside of this disaster is that I will be able to tell my granchildren that I was part of the Bitdefender EPIC FAIL of 2010. We are part of history now! :P

+1

• TRY RESTARTING IN SAFE MODE. My other laptop with win7x64 didn't make it before i found out, i couldn't get the quaratine files back out, so i restarted in SAFE MODE (press f8 in most cases before the loading of the operating system) i was able to boot into safe mode and access my files.

i am now uninstalling BD from my laptop in safe mode and everything seems to be uninstalling fine. I will update as i go.

• After doing BitDefender's so called update to their ROYAL #### up my bitdefender total security 2010 reports the following

Virus Signatures: 5494846

Engine Version: 7.30855

It appears to me that they didn't put out a patch but rather uninstalled their mistake.

Please someone else verify this for me so I can turn my real-time protection back on

• IF YOU CANT BOOT / access BD or services.msc or its otherwise unusable

Ok, some guys got their setup back because they stopped their BD before it's too late.

BUT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP PEOPLE WITH A DEAD WINDOWS ?

ie where to download the patch, how to fix this bug using rescue cd, usb....

Just to repost since it is getting so quickly buried, I was able to use system restore get get things back to a usable state.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...ost&p=79195

However i'm sure a google search will get you better (general) instructions on using system restore then what I wrote there.

• just tell me how to get my quarantina files back then no business any more, "gokhanterzi@gmail.com" send here how to get my files back i dont wanna click one by one 16000 files

• My thoughts exactly. How did this happen? If BitDefender is so easily compromised, why would anyone want to use it? I demand an explanation for this unusual BitDefender behavior.

• wonder what the EULA says - something along the lines of..."BD aint responsible for deleting or formatting the entire contents of your hard drive?" ;)

• How do I restore my quarantined files? Since BD was not starting (missing dlls) I used the installer to repair it, but when it started the quarantined files list was empty.

Again... I don't care that it doesn't quarantine files anymore, I just want my old files back. (Is there a folder that BD moves them?)

• When running the installer doesn't have permission to install ....... now what, how to get the permissions back?

• For the ones who got the problem fixed with the update:

Are you people restoring all the files on quarantine?

I dunno if I should restore/replace files that already exist....or "just" scroll on a 20k fil list to restore only the files that dont exist.

• This is ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE, an anti-virus which should've protected PCs destroys it completely instead, i'm EXTREMELY FURIOUS over this, rest assured that i wont be using this crappy product anymore, and will obviously spread the word about this debacle.

It takes years to build reputation and only a second to destroy it.

So now, it looks like my computer is still working, i have restored whatever files that i can from the quarantined list, the ones that i cant restore has duplicates in their original folders, does this mean its safe for me to reboot my PC? I really am afraid that if i reboot, my PC wont work as normal again, its a pain to backup and reinstall all programs which i have.

Using Vista x64 here.

I pity the normal users who have very limited IT knowledge or even know of this forum's existence.

BitDefender, u just screwed up big time.

• Well, I got this problem here almost solved. just need to reinstall some programs that were damaged and I'm fine. So what if I have to do that my PC still runs fine and ran fine while the problem wasn't solved. Society its going from bad to worse, god ###### what are you all posting here for? Flaming at the developers and demanding a refund wow WTF ? I have been using BD for about 2 years and only had 2 problems 1 that was not bad and this one, Resuming, I had 1 bad problem with BD for 2 years, what is that ? Nothing -_-. Seriously you people should be ashamed.

Have you naver made a mistake ? I'm telling you this is not as bad as if you crash your car. Of course BD has responsibility for many computers and this should never have happened. So what? a Mistake in a virus entry caused this.

Belive me or not, the developers are still humans and they DO have the right to have mistakes, F*ck if I'm one aginst the world.

Of course I was ###### by the problem but I knew... like WTF 5200 viruses in 4 hours (yes I knew I had none before that) freakin impossible, cheked updates and it matched 4 hours ago there was an update. I mean really people should have at least minimal knowledge about PC's not only intall, auto-delete, yeah I'm all protected now, thats probably the cause if your PC doesn't run anymore.

But, oh well I guess this is human race for you all. A race that disgusts me for sure, but well it's what I have.

And yeah I registered here just to tell that to all the f*cking flamers around here. I will still renew the contract in 140 days time.

Compliments from Portugal and to all the non flamers, you don't need to read this.

• quarantined files that can't be restored due to not been able to find path were not deleted/quarantined because they were in use by system, so they were just copied into quarantine instead. bitdefender runs normally now.

But the file sizes are different between the files in original place and files in Quarantine. Files in quarantine are 20 bytes bigger. I have sampled some of the files from quarantine list and all are same.

How can we trust that original files are clean, quarantine process did not do anything to the file in original path?

• Does anyone know where BitDefender keeps the quarantined files? Since I keep seeing "A file with the same name already exists.." message I wanted to check the hashes of the quarantined file and the "already exists" file.

Here is a note to the BitDefender developers:

A "Do not replace file" button would be a nice option in the BitDefender Restore File from Quarantine dialog box. Right now the only options are to replace the file, browse for a new location, or cancel the operation - why not a "Do not replace" and move on to the next highlighted item?

Thanks.

• After downloading the BD update, do you have to restart your computer for it to take effect, because my BD program wont' even start since I downloaded the update.

• Where is the folder with all the quarantine files?

LMAO agreed!

• I say this on everyone behalf.

arrrgh!###### you, bitdefender!

• @GTR_PT

This is the wrong thread to be PRO Bitdefender, start your own!!!

• SuperGhosty
    edited March 2010
    Was that really necessary?

1) All quanratined files are still on disk. Heck i got 20000 quarantined files, making my pc unbootable, but still i know they were not lost.

2) BD shows that (somewhat weird) error when the file already exists. This can happen with system files when windows system protection kicks in and automatically restores a copy from a shadow backup.

3) I don't understand why people say they can't restore 10000 files one by one. Hasn't anyone tried to use the "shift" key to select all files at once? I mean... duhhh!

Fortunately it wasn't a total loss since I didn't have any sensitive documents or information that had to be saved so I could really care less. Even if there were, I could just fire up Knoppix and transfer them over.

3) I did try that; however, BD didn't even know where to restore them since it couldn't "find the original path" so there goes that theory.

I am more or so disappointed how this incident occurred rather me formating my system which takes about 15 minutes so all is well.

• Virus Signatures: 5494846

Engine Version: 7.30855

I have after I updated

Virus Sigs: 54749032

Engine version: 7.30848

• Well, I did the upgrade (from within BitDefender) and ended up with:

Virus signatures: 5474032

Engine Version: 7.30848

(not 7.38048 as a previous poster reported, he must have made a typo)

I re-enabled realtime scanning, and so far so good. I still have lots of files I cannot Restore from quarantine because there's already a file there by the same name, but I guess that's normal. Windows and BitDefender must have already replaced them earlier.

Next thing to try is rebooting. I'm almost scared to, but here goes....

Windows 7 seems to boot okay, but BitDefender wouldn't start due to some dll problem (screen went away too fast for me to notice what it was). Trying the repair utility...

Repair process ran a DOS window in the background and did something, and wants to reboot (crosses fingers)...

System came up, and BitDefender wants to resume the install process. Looks likes it's copying some files or something. Wants to reboot AGAIN...

Registration Wizard comes up. It noticed a previous install, and there's an option to use the existing license key, so that's what I'm going to choose. Had to re-enter my account information and sign in to register it.

Configuration Wizard comes up. I pick Gamer. I don't select either of the "home network" or "laptop" options, I just click next. I pick Expert user. I disable the "update" and "run a system scan" options (I want to do everything manually from now on). Click Finish, and it seems to be working...

I run Update again, because when it repaired/reinstalled, it revered back to an old "7.xxxx something" version of the engine. It just turned off services, so it must be updating.

*sigh* It wants to reboot. AGAIN

Okay, this is unnerving...it ended up at:

Virus signatures: 5284178

Engine Version: 7.30471

I hit Update again, and it says no update available. Why did it end up at 7.30471, when before it was 7.30848 ?????

• if only i spent those extra 5 bucks and got myself a real AV solution that wont self destruct itself......

• Where is the folder with all the quarantine files?

C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

Good Luck... you must know where to move...

• Mikal
    edited March 2010
    C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

Good Luck... you must know where to move...

ignore

• TRY RESTARTING IN SAFE MODE. My other laptop with win7x64 didn't make it before i found out, i couldn't get the quaratine files back out, so i restarted in SAFE MODE (press f8 in most cases before the loading of the operating system) i was able to boot into safe mode and access my files.

i am now uninstalling BD from my laptop in safe mode and everything seems to be uninstalling fine. I will update as i go.

i just uninstalled BD in safe mode and was able to restart in safe mode but not able to restart in 'regular' mode, so i used my win7 installation disc and did a 'repair' and was able to boot back into my good old system without BD installed.

i too had files 'locked' into the quarantine but not 4000+, it was only like 500 files in there, so maybe i just got lucky but i am still going to save my files and do a reformat just to be safe. good luck people. hope i could help...

• The update is now available on the BitDefender Update Servers. Please make a BitDefender update and the problem should be fixed.

Cris.

I have tried to make the update you talk about here, but once it finishes checking for updates, it says: "No updates are available"

Please tell me what to do.

Also, since a lot of damage has been done already to a lot of users, please provide additional help on the procedures to get back their work and computers, laptops.

I think you should help users affected by this to go back to the state their computers were before this happened.

Please help ASAP. I am sure that, like me, a lot of users use their computers as a tool for their work, to provide a way of living.

Thanks

• Well, I got this problem here almost solved. just need to reinstall some programs that were damaged and I'm fine. So what if I have to do that my PC still runs fine and ran fine while the problem wasn't solved. Society its going from bad to worse, god ###### what are you all posting here for? Flaming at the developers and demanding a refund wow WTF ? I have been using BD for about 2 years and only had 2 problems 1 that was not bad and this one, Resuming, I had 1 bad problem with BD for 2 years, what is that ? Nothing -_-. Seriously you people should be ashamed.

Have you naver made a mistake ? I'm telling you this is not as bad as if you crash your car. Of course BD has responsibility for many computers and this should never have happened. So what? a Mistake in a virus entry caused this.

Belive me or not, the developers are still humans and they DO have the right to have mistakes, F*ck if I'm one aginst the world.

Of course I was ###### by the problem but I knew... like WTF 5200 viruses in 4 hours (yes I knew I had none before that) freakin impossible, cheked updates and it matched 4 hours ago there was an update. I mean really people should have at least minimal knowledge about PC's not only intall, auto-delete, yeah I'm all protected now, thats probably the cause if your PC doesn't run anymore.

But, oh well I guess this is human race for you all. A race that disgusts me for sure, but well it's what I have.

And yeah I registered here just to tell that to all the f*cking flamers around here. I will still renew the contract in 140 days time.

Compliments from Portugal and to all the non flamers, you don't need to read this.

Small errors and mistakes here and there are normal, but an epic failure like this should NEVER happen, the ###### thing screws up the entire OS which forces some people to REFORMAT, IT savvy people would not have any problems, but how about those average users who bought the product thinking that he/she is protected? They would have to send their PCs to technicians, this costs them time and money, not to mention data losses that could be priceless.

Its like a bank suddenly makes an error and deleted your account with all of your money in it, and than just says "hey guys, problem fixed, those who are affected, we're sorry for your loss" and continues working. How would you feel?

This is a fcukup an anti-virus should NEVER EVER MAKE. I have just lost my trust on BitDefender.

• I'm guessing that I may be part of the majority of users whose PC is not incapacitated and has the new updates in place but are stuck with all of these quarantined files, mostly Bitdefender files but a lot of System32 and SysWOW64 files. When I try to restore them they say that they already exist and if I say to replace it anyways, it says that it is an invalid path.

Could someone (BD Tech?) please give a concise explanation as how to deal with this? There have been various answers given by helpful people but you have to wade through hundreds of posts to find the answers. I'm a reasonably experienced user but I'm nervous about doing anything without proper instruction.

I need answers for the following:

1. If it already exists, should I delete the item from the quarantine list?

2. If it already exists, should I attempt to replace it?

3. If the path isn't found, can someone tell me what the correct path is and how to let BD know what it is?

4. Is there a way to highlight all 1000+ quarantines and let BD restore them all. When you do this with the "Apply to all" box flagged it stops after the 1st failure.

I figure this is the least that BD could do for their users.

• omg plz tell me i dont have to reformat and lose everything over this!pllllzzzz

• The problem is only affecting users of the x64 versions of BitDefender.

A fix will be delivered via automatic updates as soon as possible.

Please disable the real time scanning feature until further notice.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

It affected my XP x64 SP2 as well...