Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• Hello all,

Please read this article for information on how to restore Windows.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

I also need to know what version of BitDefender are you running and on which operating system.

It is very important to know if it's a 32 or a 64 bit system.

Thank you.

Cristi, You might want to update your "article" as it's not several files that are subject to false detection but several thousand!. Also most people are past the point of BD being able to restore their files and many, it would appear are past the point of system restore fixing their problems.

• I have had to pay my local IT company to fix this for me.

So where/how do I make a claim for compensation?

• Hello all,

Please read this article for information on how to restore Windows.

I also need to know what version of BitDefender are you running and on which operating system.

It is very important to know if it's a 32 or a 64 bit system.

Thank you.

For God sake, the technical support has come... at 1:20, as a young who joined on 20 january 2010... and thinks that it is very important to know if it's a 32 or a 64...

I'm not technical support, but reading all this messages, I think that it's more and more clear that we all are speaking about a 64 bit version.

For all the not romanian people here: In Romania it is usual that in all a street the light goes down, and when called, the electrical company put the phone on hold for forever (we had real mass revolts, with peoples blocking the streets for that). In Romania it is usual to have holes in the middle of the most central streets, and that while paying the world largest price for street repairs. It's a fact that when a Romanian company which distribute hot water where called because the hot watter was not comming at all, the answer was that that anybody could take water and boil it in the chichen... It's an absolutelly indolent country... so in the most serious crisis I could imagine that no senior PR manager of bitdefender was not disturbed till now. Hey, man, it's half way of the weekend, what if some thousand users have no more computers, they could still gaze to the stars or do whatever they want without their PCs. IF this case would be mentioned in some Romanian news, it would be probably in the context of what insane habit is to stay in the front of a screen when a healthy life .... as everything here by...

• Yup, you're not the only one. Hopefully BD will post a workaround soon.

The answer is in one of the many pages, I'm pretty sure windows already replaced the bad file, so you just need to cancel the over write.

• I'm backing up files, leaving Laptop standby for the next few days till an apparent fix has been provided... !!!

• Whoever is running the Bitdefender Twitter feed is doing better PR than ANYONE that's been on this forum so far as an employee of Bitdefender. That person is actually talking to and responding to the public and issuing apologies as well as constant updates on the situation. Even if you don't have a twitter account, keep up with that page as it's being updated more than their own forums.

http://twitter.com/bitdefender

• I would love to know how there going to fix it if i cant even log in

• Whoever is running the Bitdefender Twitter feed is doing better PR than ANYONE that's been on this forum so far as an employee of Bitdefender. That person is actually talking to and responding to the public and issuing apologies as well as constant updates on the situation. Even if you don't have a twitter account, keep up with that page as it's being updated more than their own forums.

http://twitter.com/bitdefender

Thanks Demo... that helps to know they are at least AWARE of whats going on. This forums moderator needs to be fired.

• I went to the Bitdefender site and according to them these are our options - -

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638

No apologies or additional tech support - - no acknowledgment of the pain and stress this has caused everyone on this thread and countless others who haven't found it yet.

I guess I will wait for the class action suit.

They apologize on thier Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/BitDefender-...9635022?v=wall#!

From an alert posted at 13:57:10 -07:00 on 3/20:

BitDefender Global ALERT: We are 100% aware of and VERY sorry about the bug in the most recent update affecting some of your OS - patch to be released in approx 1-2 hours - we will keep you posted. Contact us via @bitsybd , bitsy@bitdefender.com or on this page for help.

Only 333 fans. I have a feeling they will get alot more "fans" once people get their PCs back up and running.

If BitDefender were a public corporation, I would say it would be a good idea to dump their stock first thing MOnday morning. This "bug" probably killed 10s of thousands of PCs, maybe even 100s of thousands.

There is absolutely no excuse for this. Even BITDEFENDER files were quarantined. I guess that wasn't a false positve tho as it's obvious BitDefender itself is a virus.

I came back from errands this afternoon found my 64bit Windows 7 system had over 16,000 Windows OS type files flagged as infected and moved to quarantine. I knew it was another (yes, ANOTHER) false positive on a windows 7 system file. The last time this happened, it was just one file and didn't kill the system.

Bitdefender wanted me to reboot. Since I knew this wasn't right, I tried to open the quarantine tab and the poorly designed user interface hung up the PC. I had to force a reboot. I could not restore the files from quarntine before rebooting.

On reboot, windows couldn't start and asked me to let it repair Windows. I let it repair and it said acpi.sys was corrupt, however, Windows repair appears to have restored all quarantined files and successfully repaired Windows. It even recovered the Bitdefender files that were moved to quarantine. I cannot find anything that does not work. I REALLY like Windows 7 now. XP would have been toast.

However, I am not sure that ALL 16,000+ quarantined files were restored by the Windows repair function. It is impossible to manually attempt to restore each file and since most files are reported as already existing, it will not run thru all files if you select them all.

Now I have 16,000+ files in quaranine that most of them appear to have been recovered by Windows repair.

I'm a lucky one. If I didn't have system restore on, I'd be rebuilding the box. This system is a recent build so I have a recent system image from before Bitdefender was installed.

I changed Bitdefender to "Take no Action" in the scehduled tasks and "Deny Access and Continue" in the realtime scan. Realtime scan is disabled and I am afraid to turn it back on. It will remain in this state until I get get the time to restore the system to that pre-Bitdefender image. It will take 2-3 days from there to get the system built to the same point it is today.

I just switched to BitDefender in January after comparision shopping with several other brands. What a mistake I made. Back to the drawing board to look for new virus scan software. That's gotta get done before I rebuild the box. NO Bitdefender for me in any new PC builds. I have NO confidence in this company. I can't believe they don't have any 64bit Viasta or Windows 7 systems in their lab. How did this update get out the door without testing on ALL supported platforms? Inexcusable.

• Bitdefender has deleted important system files of my Windows. My Windows won't boot anymore.

I bought this program because i read good reviews about it, but now OS wont boot anymore.

I was using Windows 7 64 bit.

• I would love to know how there going to fix it if i cant even log in

Agreed. I cannot even start BitDefender as it has been quarantined. Does the manual (weekly.exe) file fix this?

• Agree with you @ezragsit i am romanian , this country ###### .. but it's not my fault I was born here :( ..

• Cristi, You might want to update your "article" as it's not several files that are subject to false detection but several thousand!. Also most people are past the point of BD being able to restore their files and many, it would appear are past the point of system restore fixing their problems.

No kidding. I had over 60,000 Infected Files as a result of their scan coming from every folder and nearly every file on my computer. 60,000!!!

I've fixed some people's computers that have had a lot of infections due to kids downloading stuff they shouldn't and going on unsafe websites but not even a REAL virus shows that much.

This was just the ultimate in destructive coding. At least the Bitdefender employee on their twitter is apologizing to people.

• im telling you that you have to restore and shut this thing down, im seriously going to another av

• no one can promise you that this kind of problem won`t appear again when using NOD32.so i suggest not to do that because an issue like this one will never ever happen again using BD.

wanna bet? you want me to believe that they will hire a test team? hire cause atm i have all the reasons to believe that they don't have a test team. btw are you working for bitdefender? your atitude make me believe that you are working for bitdefender.

the lack of an official answer is typical.

• jokingdude
    edited March 2010

hum... nothing worthy now ?

It's pratically midnight in France and I don't wanna wait forever. If nothing GOOD comes up, the trust I gave will go away (it's perhaps already gone, but there might be a chance...)

I am SO Disappointed !

FOR those who say "It Happens with other Antiviruses" Something like THAT, and who can destroy your computer down to the core, NEVER happened

THIS IS SO FAR THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE SEEN ON A COMPUTER !

News about this Trojan.fakealert.5 are getting bigger (in France, there is also a lot of pages all over the net)... The Reputation of BitDefender is going down... Unless... No, it would never happen...

Is the staff slacking now ? Isn't there the tiniest bit to encourage us to stay ?

I want money back, so I can take an other Antivirus that I know for a long time now (Kapersky, wihout telling, for sure !)... It also had bad stuff, but NOT AS BAD AS THIS FREAKING S**T !

• BitDESTROYER

I cannot Restore over 200 Windows System and other files! Too many files in different folders. BD just says bad path.

System Restore no good. No good restore point.

Last Good Configuration.... Right...

Did Autoupdates, Downloaded Weekly 64bit, no help. Did a BD repair, but that made me reboot finally and then I was really hosed! Windows did come up but was totally screwed up. Nothing worked right.

Luckily, I have an Acronis Image backup from 1/5 months ago. But Acronis is saying it is corrupt, I think from something BD did? Maybe not? After 3 reboots it is restoreing and my fingers are crossed.

I lost 1/5 months of whatever I had/did. Thanks BitDestroyer!

• Thanks Demo... that helps to know they are at least AWARE of whats going on. This forums moderator needs to be fired.

Hey they're in Ft. Lauderdale Florida and it's a nice day out. They're all at the beach.

• I, like everyone else am disappointed with the situation but as the twitter feed suggests a resolution is on its way and that a full detailed explanation of a fix will be posted on the forum as soon as possible.

However hard it is we must be patient no matter how angry and frustrated we are.

• Do you realise that being Saturday a lot of people are out in town, their computers are slowly working and in most of the cases at 2:00 the bitdefender will start automatically the system scan... Who were already past 2:00? And in the morning the will have a computer with no browser, no ... most of the applications ... and this will be Sunday, when no repair service works? How many of them will simply try to restart their computes and will be stuck before a black screen, WITHOUT INTERNET to find out what happened and what skillfull steps they hould perform to repair their systems?

• Hello all

When I try to restore the quarantined files, BitDefender first complains that "A file with the same name already exists." When I click "OK" to confirm the replacement, BitDefender complains that it cannot find the specified path.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix / workaround?

BUMP again!

Where the ###### are the reps!?

• BUMP again!

Where the ###### are the reps!?

http://twitter.com/bitdefender - Their reps are on there talking to the customers as opposed to talking to us here on the forums. =/

• NEWBIE HERE! NOT A TECHIE. We have the Shield Deluxe AV it is giving us the same thing and we cannot stop it from quarant. everything. Tried all the fixes still comes back up with same problem. Can't get into any programs. Control panel won't open, System restore won't work. F8 safe mode doesn't help. Can't delete AV software. Heard that SD is the same as BD. Computer is screwed up, and the only reason my LP is not is that the updater flips out and won't auto update, thankfully. All of your fixes won't work and haven't!!!! WHAT NOW, how do we get our desktop back?????? Vista user.

Still no response???????? Tried all of the fixes on this forum and now desktop is worse than ever!!!! NO HELP WHATSOEVER!!!! No one responds but with more useless "fixes". Can't fix when you can't get into ANYTHING in the computer!!!! Would like a response.

• Vista 64 / BD TS 2010.

Don't know the precise version of my BD TS, because, obviously, it isn't working at this point.

• I still want to know how it is going to be possible for them to fix this if you cant login in the first place, starting to get very angry now

• I, like everyone else am disappointed with the situation but as the twitter feed suggests a resolution is on its way and that a full detailed explanation of a fix will be posted on the forum as soon as possible.

However hard it is we must be patient no matter how angry and frustrated we are.

Agreed.

But darn man this is a real slap to the face.. I was like wtf is happening to my pc. This is weak dude. thank goodness my friends didnt buy this AV .

• vista home premium 64-bit

Bitdefender 2010 antivirus

• This thread is awesome :D

• I just switched to BitDefender in January after comparision shopping with several other brands. What a mistake I made. Back to the drawing board to look for new virus scan software. That's gotta get done before I rebuild the box. NO Bitdefender for me in any new PC builds. I have NO confidence in this company. I can't believe they don't have any 64bit Viasta or Windows 7 systems in their lab. How did this update get out the door without testing on ALL supported platforms? Inexcusable.

I've been using BD for a couple years now. Fortunately I was able to recover as you were. I was getting aggravated with it telling me I'd never scanned my system before when I just had and I had to turn off Anti-phising because it increased my ping time response 10 fold!

I'm looking for new protection now with my AV turned off. I mean no condom is better than one that comes pre-infected, right? I don't think I'll ever turn BD back on and how can I trust one of their updates.

I'm going to use a free product like AVG, Superantimalware or Malwarebytes until I can find a permanent solution. Any thoughts on this?

Do you think BD will be around long enough to give me a refund? I just got a 3 year license for 3 computers in January!

• Cristi,

I undestand you are swamped but do you have any further information us?

I know you posted some information earlier which is most appreciated but as many people are saying that doesn't work in all cases, is there going to be any further postings on how to help resolve the issues and if so do you have any sort of timescales for this?

• This is all good giving communication now...on facebook/twitter... OH WAIT IT ISNT!

In the last 2 hours is when all this activity kicked up over facebook/twitter. THe problem was known many, many hours before that.

Dont believe me? Check the first post in this thread compare that against the first post regarding this issue on facebook/twitter.

For MANY people this time frame was too late. Is this going to be your defense in court or something? We warned users. I dont think thats going to fly now. 24 Pages on this post and then you make people aware? Just checked my email. No email for you at all.

I personally have paid to get my computers fixed. So again I ask - where do I apply for compensation in this matter?

• I like how they tell us to restore quarantined items when it's not even possible because of the errors we get. And as for updating...well there are none to be found. last time my BD actually downloaded an update was at noon pacific time.

• Agreed. I cannot even start BitDefender as it has been quarantined. Does the manual (weekly.exe) file fix this?

Windows 7 repair worked for me. Even resotered Bitdefender. However, you must have had System Recovery turned on for your C drive and a recent restore point. Restore points are automatically created weekly by Windows. My last restore point was from 3/18/10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ns-in-Windows-7

If your computer's system is severely damaged and you cannot access the System Recovery Options menu on your computer, you can access it using the Windows 7 installation disc or a system repair disc you created earlier.

To use this method, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the disc.

1.Insert the disc.

2.Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

3.If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

•If your computer isn't configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

4.Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5.If you are using the Windows installation disc, click Repair your computer.

6.Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next.

7.On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

• I ran system restore twice back to the 17th. The first attempt didn't work, well it appeared to at least but gave the same message about KBDUK.DLL being corrupt afterwards. After a re-boot Windows informed me the restore didn't work for some such reason I forget. Tried again in safe mode however and that has indeed worked. The only thing I've lost is Assassin's Creed which I installed after the 17th but I backed-up my saves from AppData\Roaming\ so I think I'm in the clear.

Just re-updated BD. Engine version is 7.30848. Does anyone know if this engine version is the safe one?

Their solution was post 1.5 hours ago and it a mixture of using BD, Windows System Restore (I assume because they cannot fix it), Last Known Configuration reboot, and other stuff.

• I'm glad to see a pinned topic that is locked.

However;

1.Step one doesn't work ...because BD won't load, and is missing files. (Quarantined itself?) ..... "Open Bit Defender in Expert Mode".... Gee, I would if I COULD!

2. When I do download an update, (to which there are no links posted in the locked thread) it only allows me the "Novice" mode, and the button doesn't work to select the "Expert mode", and starts running real time all by itself, and the hard drive goes crazy again, and here we go, and I start all over again.

3. System restore won't work (Win 7) because there are files missing. (In quarantine, apparently, which I still can't get to because BD isn't working and won't open)

4. "Last known good configuration" won't work, and is not an option in the safe mode because files are missing or something. I don't know why, and don't care. I just know it won't work here.

5. I can't be notified of any updates because neither IE, nor AOL (since it's an IE overlay program) works. (I can remote log in, I suppose, but this is ridiculous.)

6. This is a disaster, because you are not feeding us valid fixes and links, and if you are, we can't get to them to read them!

It's time you guys step up and start updating that locked page with more scenarios, links, and fixes, because I have already wasted my day off, and still can't do business expenses, nor taxes, because your Virus Protection has become a Virus in itself. It's a viscous circle of disaster here!

Obviously, patience is wearing thin here on this forum, with this complete lack of real time support, and real instruction on how we can fix your mistake. Clearly, many are still unaware they have been devastated yet, and this is just the beginning.

SHOW US! Starting with ... Download THIS PATCH HERE...... > Download THIS UPDATE HERE.....> and tell us how to get this disaster cleaned up. You don't seem to be picking up on the fact that we CAN'T open BD in the Expert mode! BD isn't working, and isn't loading, and won't give us the Expert mode option in the first place! Many can't even boot up!

Feed us REAL INFORMATION, LINKS, and FIXES PLEASE!.

• I ran system restore twice back to the 17th. The first attempt didn't work, well it appeared to at least but gave the same message about KBDUK.DLL being corrupt afterwards. After a re-boot Windows informed me the restore didn't work for some such reason I forget. Tried again in safe mode however and that has indeed worked. The only thing I've lost is Assassin's Creed which I installed after the 17th but I backed-up my saves from AppData\Roaming\ so I think I'm in the clear.

Just re-updated BD. Engine version is 7.30848. Does anyone know if this engine version is the safe one?

It is the one that is displaying on my pc's after I paid to get this problem sorted out.

What makes you think that the next "fix" will fix anything? Their "fix" that was posted on Twitter 15 minutes ago has been on the forum here for an hour and a half:

They may "fix" their product but their "fix" isn't going to "fix" your Windows files.

• Is anyone else using the trial version??????

• Tried what sfd suggested, but the system restore doesnt work either with a repair disc. Tried doing a fix several times, but my windows still wont boot.

Alot of important .dll have been deleted.

• Hmm, I just tried that, but when I hit "Cancel", it dropped me back in the quarantine list with all of the same files there. I double-checked, just trying to restore one file, and found that it remained in the list. So it looks like the "Cancel" button (understandably) cancels the restore process. So it looks like the suggested fix doesn't work, at least for me.

The fix did work for you: It's normal to see these duplicate file entries in the list after you cancel. The files listed should have been properly restored already, by Windows or BD quarantine restore. You can either delete these entries (I haven't checked how), or leave them be, they should be automatically deleted after 30 days.

I think.

^-^

• You do all realise this is the perfect opportunity for some ****** kiddie to infect thousands of PC's that are currently unprotected due to Bit Defender's AV shield being turned off, don't you?

• When will the bitdefender security service be up again?

no problem with windows bc I waited for the update b4 i did anything but now its saying that the vsserv.exe is unavailable and the AV and Firewall are not on

do i need to just wait?

• Agree with you @ezragsit i am romanian , this country ###### .. but it's not my fault I was born here :( ..

neither ours...

But you see, we are used with all such stuff and customs. At least we learned that common people usually does not count ...

But what about the day when we play that kind of stuff to the large world. To people who does not understand that 2,98 means 3, or why should we put money in doctors or nurses pockets, why should we pay the price of the work twice, first for having the workers at the door and second for make them enter... and so many more stupid customs. Why call in the night a senior programmer, when my job is more sure if I do not disturb them? And why have a really good test team, if any senior local authorithy could enforce to give such lazy jobs to their lousy childs? Do you forget how arrived our president daughter europarlamenteer when she could not even properly read the text that others are so willingly write for her?

• FIX IT GUYS WITH RESTORE SYSTEM...

ALL THE PPL u get black screen or u cant see your desktop

Pres ctrl+alt+delete enter -> go on task manager -> up and left you see FILE hit there and write MSCONFIG enter then go to STARTUP PROGRAMS and there uncheck ALL Bitdifender hit ok and restart...

Before restart put the disk windows on your drive

PRES F8 and when u see the MENU HIT THE FIRST ΤΑΒ i think is REPAIR SYSTEM or somethink

AFTER LOAD FROM DRIVE

TRY TO RESTORE YOUR SYSTEM IT LAST POINT... IT works on me the windows recreate the quarantee files

lets find out if this work to you...

• (...)

SHOW US! Starting with ... Download THIS PATCH HERE...... > Download THIS UPDATE HERE.....> and tell us how to get this disaster cleaned up. You don't seem to be picking up on the fact that we CAN'T open BD in the Expert mode! BD isn't working, and isn't loading, and won't give us the Expert mode option in the first place! Many can't even boot up!

Feed us REAL INFORMATION, LINKS, and FIXES PLEASE!.

crystal

• I can't restore my files from quarantine because the file location can't be found and there's no way to sort the files so,I'd have to go thru every single file this way?Or am I missing something?

• Cristi,

I undestand you are swamped but do you have any further information us?

I know you posted some information earlier which is most appreciated but as many people are saying that doesn't work in all cases, is there going to be any further postings on how to help resolve the issues and if so do you have any sort of timescales for this?

There we go for me.

around 7 hours fixing this complete **** up from bit defender.

Ive lost files. because you guys quarentined a file which then corrupted my Boot.ini and then ultimatly, ###### up my entire boot up and therefore. corrupted a annual report for my company. are you going to compensate. dear god, i hope so.

Please. Assist us.

I wont be using BD again for this lack of care.

• Windows 7 (x64) Ultimate

Bitdefender Internet Security 2010

I got 75 "Trojan.FakeAlert.5"-alerts before switching off the Real-time protection. I did as Cristi Raducu adviced, but after reboot Bitdefender didn't start.

Error message: npcomm.dll missing

I did repair the Bitdefender installation, but I'm not sure if the update is working as it should, because Windows keeps informing me that antivirus isn't up to date.

Now running: 7.30486 / 5293437

Aargh, I payed for a 2-year license 3 weeks ago :(

• flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this faulty update, we are currently working on providing a patch that will solve this issue. As soon as we have any update, we will post it on this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st=0#entry79733

and on this KB article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638

There may be cases when the workaround provided in the above articles does not work. Therefore, we would like to gather a few information about these cases, such as:

what operating system are you using

what version of BitDefender are you using

what specifically did not work

Thank you