Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Services Are Not Responding. Please Restart...

Comments

• jaws1
    edited March 2010
    I've never known any company to basically admit that every single user is at fault rather than their software, it's obviously the central problem, because all users have differently configured computers, not generic,

You're more fortunate than I. I know of at least two ... (1)another well-known AV/Security company and (2) (I believe) the biggest OS software company ... whatever happens, it's "user error", which is why I came to BD for AV, and would love to see more competition in OS companies.

(would name names, but not sure what board policy is on that.)

• Have just read back through this complete thread, and it seems clear to me that there isn't going to be a solution to this problem. Somewhere deep inside BitDefender, there is some shoddy coding that lacks resilience, and it needs changing. Seems very little point blaming spyware and AV software from other companies for 'interfering' with the operation of your own software, when your software doesn't appear to have the same negative impact on other companies spyware and AV solutions. Bad design/coding, pure and simple.

Kieran

I totally agree that the reason why they can't fix the not responding grey ball issue is just because of bad coding. I have had numerous AV programs and Bitdefender is the only one where they blame it on leftover registry files or other programs not being compatible with it. So you can't even have a backup security program like Spyware Doctor of the paid version of Super antispyware, malwarebytes running along side it to give you a little protection when Bit Defender decides to die on you. Amazing how every other company has been able to find a way though.

• Hello all,

Edelia & Fida: We have sent you an email. Please be so kind as to follow the instructions and provide us with the necessary details.

Bigchess, cw76542, cw76542, kungfu and Oracle: In order to further investigate the issue you are dealing with please be so kind as to follow the steps from this post and send me a PM with the Ticket ID from the subject of the email.

sfstar2: In the renewal notice you have received from us you will also find a link you can access in order to cancel the auto-renewal process. We are very sorry for the inconveniences created and we hope you will reconsider our products in the future.

jfrye: Since you noticed that there is a pattern please follow the steps bellow and let us know if this issue occurs during or after the Update process.

1. Open the BitDefender window, select Settings, then Switch UI to Expert mode, click on Apply and then on Ok.

2. Go to the Update module and click on Settings;

3. Select the boxes next to Prompt before downloading updates from Automatic and Manual Update Settings;

4. Click on Apply;

5. When you are receiving the message from BitDefender please click OK in order to download and install the updates.

Thank you.

• i have had a reply back today to my request for a refund and was informed that they would only do a refund in the first 30 days, i have had it since 3rd jan. They asked for further details of the problem which i sent, the response was reinstall 2009 with the current key. My reply was are you stating that 2010 is not fit for purpose then. Still waiting a reply. I dont see why i should have to install old software when i purchased a newer version. What is this all about.

• That is amazing! They are saying that 2010 doesn't work and to install another version.

I have done what they said (see post above) and now my icon in the systray has disappeared. I never had an issue with that before. It is all just too much.

• Hello all,

Edelia & Fida: We have sent you an email. Please be so kind as to follow the instructions and provide us with the necessary details.

Bigchess, cw76542, cw76542, kungfu and Oracle: In order to further investigate the issue you are dealing with please be so kind as to follow the steps from this post and send me a PM with the Ticket ID from the subject of the email.

sfstar2: In the renewal notice you have received from us you will also find a link you can access in order to cancel the auto-renewal process. We are very sorry for the inconveniences created and we hope you will reconsider our products in the future.

jfrye: Since you noticed that there is a pattern please follow the steps bellow and let us know if this issue occurs during or after the Update process.

1. Open the BitDefender window, select Settings, then Switch UI to Expert mode, click on Apply and then on Ok.

3. Select the boxes next to Prompt before downloading updates from Automatic and Manual Update Settings;

4. Click on Apply;

5. When you are receiving the message from BitDefender please click OK in order to download and install the updates.

Thank you.

Carmen, I have sent you a PM and I hope I receive a reply soon.

I also followed the advice you (Carmen) provided to jfrye but this hasn't helped either.

Today I experienced two ends of the spectrum when it comes to starting my PC. Firstly, this morning, for the first time, my PC worked immediately after start up. However when I started the PC this evening, it took from 8pm to 1.15 am before the blessed thing 'unfroze, and I could access programs.

This is totally unaccceptable.

What I can't understand is why can my brother and mother (who have identical software but an older PCs) have absolutely NO problem whatsoever yet I (and many others like me) have had nothing but grief with the BitDefender product.

And why does it take an eternity to get a response (most being unhelpful) and constant requests for running tests and submitting logs when the problems are not individually related but apply to many BitDefender clients.

• And why does it take an eternity to get a response (most being unhelpful) and constant requests for running tests and submitting logs when the problems are not individually related but apply to many BitDefender clients.

It's because they don't know why BD works on some computers and doesn't on others. To say something that simple is an admission they don't want to convey. It's really pretty simple... BD is like a big experiment and you are the guinea pig... Be patient, they will eventually figure it out...

• Another strange thing that is happening now is that my File Zone/Net Zone activity boxes sometimes are not there, and when I check, I find it is unticked, so I tick again, and they re-appear. My systray red icon also is sometimes not there. Sometimes it is! Quite inexplicable.

• It's because they don't know why BD works on some computers and doesn't on others. To say something that simple is an admission they don't want to convey. It's really pretty simple... BD is like a big experiment and you are the guinea pig... Be patient, they will eventually figure it out...

I am starting to subscribe to this point of view.

I nearly thought I found a solution to this based on solutions posted in this thread.

What I did was uninstall BitDefender, ran the BitDefender uninstall tool, edited the registry to ensure nothing remained of BitDefender, ran a registry cleaner (yes I know this is overkill but wanted to make sure).

I reinstalled the program and changed thesettings so updates were downloaded and installed manually.

I got a taste of normal PC functioning for two days. Then Vsserv did its usual trick, occupying over 100000 k of processing memory so then I terminated th vsserv process and I used my PC normally. So back to the drawing board.

On a different subject, I am very disappointed that, when you PM a technical expert, they read your PMs, reply to other member's posts but do not provide the courtesy of replying to mine, even if it was a simple courtesy response such as "We are investigating your issue and will respond when we may have an answer. Please be patient until this time.' I may not like the response but it least it would be courteous instead of what appears to be 'being ignored'.

Advice to posters- If you ever PM ad administrator here, use the tracker.

• Hello all,

4. Click on Apply;

Thank you.

I used the support tool, and it got midway through step 2, stalled, and just closed itself.

• Hello,

This may have been added by someone already as I did not read all 11 pages of this thread. I'm running windows 7 64bit and have started to experience this problem as well. I've noticed through event viewer that every time Bitdefender antivirus 2010 has stopped working, 1 sec prior to it there has been a security event. I hope it helps get to the root of the issue. Below is one occurrence:

Here is the Administrative Event that shows where Bitdefender antivirus stopped working:

Log Name: System

Source: Service Control Manager

Date: 4/6/2010 3:22:02 PM

Event ID: 7034

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Win7

Description:

The BitDefender Virus Shield service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s).

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-04-06T19:22:02.069156300Z" />

<EventRecordID>36981</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="904" ThreadID="1988" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Win7</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="param1">BitDefender Virus Shield</Data>

<Data Name="param2">2</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

When I look at security events, 1 second before antivirus 2010 stopped working, the following Security event occurred:

Log Name: Security

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing

Date: 4/6/2010 3:22:01 PM

Event ID: 4672

Task Category: Special Logon

Level: Information

Keywords: Audit Success

User: N/A

Computer: Win7

Description:

Special privileges assigned to new logon.

Subject:

Security ID: SYSTEM

Account Name: SYSTEM

Account Domain: NT AUTHORITY

Logon ID: 0x3e7

Privileges: SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege

SeTcbPrivilege

SeSecurityPrivilege

SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege

SeLoadDriverPrivilege

SeBackupPrivilege

SeRestorePrivilege

SeDebugPrivilege

SeAuditPrivilege

SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege

SeImpersonatePrivilege

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" Guid="{54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}" />

<EventID>4672</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>0</Level>

<Task>12548</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8020000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-04-06T19:22:01.334781300Z" />

<EventRecordID>20369</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="920" ThreadID="3704" />

<Channel>Security</Channel>

<Computer>Win7</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="SubjectUserSid">S-1-5-18</Data>

<Data Name="SubjectUserName">SYSTEM</Data>

<Data Name="SubjectDomainName">NT AUTHORITY</Data>

<Data Name="SubjectLogonId">0x3e7</Data>

<Data Name="PrivilegeList">SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege

SeTcbPrivilege

SeSecurityPrivilege

SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege

SeLoadDriverPrivilege

SeBackupPrivilege

SeRestorePrivilege

SeDebugPrivilege

SeAuditPrivilege

SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege

SeImpersonatePrivilege</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• I think I may have found a short term fix for anyone experiencing the same problem I'm having - I updated the BitDefender Virus Shield service to restart if the service encounters a failure.

BitDefender would not let me update the service until I restarted Win 7 in safe mode. After updating the service in safe mode and booting up Win 7 normally, the recovery options I selected remained intact.

I'll let things run like this for a couple days and report back if it's resolved the issue.

For those that may not know where to go:

Windows 7 services:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

I ran the Service in safe mode as administrator when I was in safe mode - to launch Services, right-click on it and select 'Run as administrator'

Double click on the BitDefender Virus Shield service and select the Recovery tab and set all 3 options to 'Restart the service'

To restart Win 7 in safe mode, hit F8 while booting up and select Safe Mode.

Hope it helps

• For Those running Windows XP sp2/3 this program will help.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2205971/3356738/

I got so fed up with Bitdefender IS 2010 processes crashing I decided to make this program; so if your having the prblem where vsserv keeps crashing or any other of bitdefenders processes then this will help.

Bit Watcher constantly monitors Bitdefenders processes, when indubitably a process crashes Bit Watcher will restart that process to ensure you are still protected by Bitdefender. If a critical process cannot be recovered, Bit Watcher will instantly enable Windows firewall and disconnect you from the internet to prevent any outside attacks until you get the chance to restart your PC. Place in your start-up folder so it’ll start with Windows. You can choose for it run in the background.

What’s been updated in version 2.1:

Extremely quick process crash detection

Enable/Disable which processes you wish to monitor

Smoother shut down/log off (Bit Watcher now detects shutdown/log off, it still isn’t perfect though but will stop monitoring processes and close, rather than be forced to close by windows.

System Requirements:

• .Net framework 3.5

• Bitdefenders default installation path on drive C:\

• Windows XP SP2/3

and Bitdefender Total Security 2010 IS

• cw76542@appstate.edu
    edited April 2010

Just forget it. I will just wait this out until my subscription runs out, and then purchase something else that is actually reliable rather than waste my time trying to fix something that shouldn't be an issue. NEVER under ANY circumstance should ANY computer be without protection for ANY amount of time because of random shut-downs by antivirus software. No excuses.

• Only Download Bit Watcher from ME

There is a fake torrent thats been added to www.fulldls.com and www.vertor.com under the name of Bit Watcher Patched.

Do not download from those sites i have not uploaded them!

Its detected as Trojan: Win32/DotTorrent

and tries to install something to this directory:

C:\documents and setting\user\local settings\temp\install-773.exe

Its size is 3.5mb where as the program Ive wrote is only 91.74 KB

• New version of Bit Watcher available for those interested:

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2239...?rel=1273527952

Bit Watcher v3

• highaltitude
    edited May 2010

Hmm, its been a while since Ive been on here. My problems are the same as others have described above. Services stop, activity bar goes away, update issues. It seems to me that this all started happening more latley. I may try that Bit Watcher thingy.

• Hello all,

4. Click on Apply;

Thank you.

Hi Carmen,

I am running Windows XP SP 3 with Internet Security 2010 and I am getting the same message. Is there any solution?

Please advise!

Thanks

• Hello everybody,

@JonSt: Hello, please check the email associated with this forum account and send me back the requested logs for further analysis.

@highaltitude: Also please check your email associated with this forum account and send me back the requested logs.

Thanks,

• shooter
    edited May 2010
    After years of McAfee and poor use of system resources, I opted to go to a new AV software. I tried a few of the top ten in a Windows XP SP3 system and liked BD's 2010 interface, features and low use of resources. After a week of watching the services crash and restart, or crash and fail to restart I'm not so sure 2010 is ready for prime time. It will even fail while trying to send failures messages back to the developers. I continually got it to crash while testing the network function. Hoping to see some stability soon. I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and purchase the 5pc 1yr business pack and opted to test more.

Well guys i have tried somethings and it really worked for my system.

1-remove any other security solutions installed on the system completely even if they are not active.

2-start the Bitdefender Virus Shield Service by going to Start menu of the windows and then click on Run and type there "services.msc" and from that window just right click on Bitdefender Virus Shield Service and click on Start. ;)

• Bigchess
    edited May 2010

WOW!! what a surprise. Another super popular problem with this program. I have been having this issue for over 4 months now and have tried everything to make this work as good as the 2009 version. (including a clean installation of windows xp sp3.)

Today i'm tossing this POS out the window and getting something else. I suggest anyone else here having the same issue doing the same. I can't believe my security stops responding while I'm AWAY from my computer. NEXT!!

• WOW!! what a surprise. Another super popular problem with this program. I have been having this issue for over 4 months now and have tried everything to make this work as good as the 2009 version. (including a clean installation of windows xp sp3.)

Today i'm tossing this POS out the window and getting something else. I suggest anyone else here having the same issue doing the same. I can't believe my security stops responding while I'm AWAY from my computer. NEXT!!

I wish that was the only problem I was having.

I can live with the "services are not responding" temp message...because it resolves itself in about 2 minutes after a restart.

This morning my licence key on all 3 of my networked machines was suddenly invalid...and all 3 machines are now unprotected! I have until 2011 before it officially expires...perhaps I should have stayed with a competitor AV.

what a joke!

• Unknown
    edited May 2010

@subexpression: please send me a PM with your license key along with a screenshot of the Registration tab in BitDefender security center. Make sure that you switch BitDefender to Expert Mode.

@Bigchess: I'm sorry to hear you encounter all those issues with BitDefender. I have tried to locate any open ticket you may have open with us however I found none. If you already worked on this issue with one of my colleagues and you used a different email address please let me know.

Furthermore be kindly informed that the Services are not responding may happen due to various reasons such as: not having Windows Updates installed (i.e. using SP1 instead of SP2 or above for Windows XP); a driver that is not updated to its latest version; another security solution still installed on the same PC or not having it removed correctly (using the specific uninstall tool) etc.

Note that the 'Services are not responding' can be resolved by a simple right click on the BitDefender icon in the system tray and select 'Update Now'. Allow it few moments to check for new updates, download and install them then the error should be gone.

In order to solve this issue please be so kind as to make sure you uninstalled any other security solution you might have on the same computer (any spyware removal, Ad Aware, Spybot or any another antivirus).

Having more then one security product installed on the same PC can degrade performance and cause system instability. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the background. We recommend you to uninstall all the other security solutions in order for BitDefender to work properly. We also recommend you to run a registry cleaner on your computer in order to improve the system performance.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps from this link in order to provide us with the reports we need for further investigation.

The reports will be sent directly to our Technical Support Team and you will receive an automatic reply shortly. Please send me a PM with the ticket ID from the Subject of the e-mail so that I may analyze the reports and send you a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.

• Bigchess
    edited May 2010

@DanyDan: I have contacted you all about this already and I sent my file in. They told me to uninstall and reinstall BD. Did that and problem still persisted. So then I formatted my hard drive. (Because I thought their may be traces of past internet securities I have used on there.) Then did all windows updates and installed BD. I had only 28 processes running including BD. Nothing else was installed on the system and the problem still persisted. Then I thought to myself how much more basic thing's could be for a program to run under windows xp and could not think of any. Only thing I can think of is the program is poorly written and you all need to fix this. I still have at least a couple months before my subscription runs out and I have already installed another security DUE TO THIS PROBLEM. PLEASE GET THIS FIXED ASAP.

BTW its not a SIMPLE click on update to get this to respond. It's a whole reboot for it to resurrect from the dead.

• it's become a hobby of mine to check back on the bit defender forum every few weeks just to see if this epic not responding thread will ever fall off the front page, but it never does. Here it is back on top of the front page once again. I can't wait for there 2011 version to come out and the first thread in that will be from someone saying they got the gray ball. It should be priority number one to fix the not responding issue once and for all but they won't.

I'm sure that in the future they will eventually figure it out. I can picture my son 20 years from now talking to me about AV programs and saying he bought bit defender and actually got a red ball and it stays red. Then I can tell him he is lucky that he never had to live through the grey ball years were the ball was red when starting up just to tease you before turn gray like the death star.

In an effort to save everyone time and frustration these are the only two ways to avoid the dreaded gray ball again. Anything else will just be a temporary fix.

1. After installing Bit Defender turn off your computer and never turn it on again.

2. Don't install it in the first place.

Follow those two steps and I will guarantee you never get gray ball again.

• goraguer
    edited May 2010

I agree with you.

Last time I buy BitDefender. So much weeks with this death grey ball .......

• @Bigchess: I have tried again to locate any open tickets associated with your email address however all tickets are closed. Your last ticket with Us was on 03/18/2010. Instructions were sent your email in order to further investigate the matter. Please be so kind and reply with the requested info. Thank you!

Regards,

• I think my username pretty much sums it up. I am experiencing exactly the same issue when I was given the option to renew my license for free when I was on Antivirus v10 back in 2008 and decided to move to Internet Security 2010, what a joke this is.

I am running this on Windows 7 x64 and constantly just grays out with no warning so you could potentially be open for how long till you actually notice how crap this application is and just doesn't work.

So instead of trying to through their tech support and have someone guide me through basic troubleshooting which would not have helped, I decided to log an email to them and the email support form is informing me that my serial number is invalid, that is funny the Bitdefender console is stating my serial number is valid and is unfortunately valid for another 240 days, what the F*** is going on bitdefender is the application really that S*** it can't even give me an accurate status of my serial number? Maybe it is really screwed up!

Bitdefender... I do hope someone who might potentially have a the brain capacity to match up to at least perhaps a gold fish can take a look at this thread and actually get your unnecessarily highly paid developers to actually do some work and write applications that work. Surely security and stability of your products are your number one priority when it comes to developing an antivirus product (well I would hope so).

But sadly I know this post will go unread just like the others, and have gone into shoving this issue under the table and continuing to sell their product and getting money for it and I for one definitely would want my portion of that back.

• I'm having the same issue.. and i know what I'm going to be asked to do... post the version im using (Total Security 2010), post my OS (Windows 7), uninstall /reinstalled BD 2010... done... e-mail us a log of your issue...really? with everyone and their mom's posting here that they are having issues and you request a log from everyone and i'm sure you receive over half of the logs, you guys can't figure out what's happening? I've already sent you guys a log as well as other here... tired of the same old "send the logs and we'll look at it message".. that's just to buy time.... this is a joke... What's the process for requesting your money back for this POS?

• Hello,

@bitdefenderSX: please provide me with the license key via PM for more information on it. As I am sure you can notice from all my previous posts, ALL posts are read and taken into consideration. Please keep in mind that contacting our Customer Care and find information about basic troubleshooting is the first step in resolving any issue you may face regarding BitDefender.

@Kapi187: requesting a log helps us find the appropriate resolution as the issue in question (Services are not responding) can occur due to several reasons. We do need logs from each and every person using BitDefender to find the correct resolution. Regarding the refund request please contact our Customer Care using one of the contact forms we provide at:

http://www.BitDefender.com/site/contact/

If you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us any time, we are online 24/7 at your disposal.

Regards,

• @DannyDan ... I did sent a log about 2-3weeks ago.. haven't heard anything from anyone. I do not know the service #... How long should I wait for a response? Also, just a question but after finding out what causes the "Services not responding" from other peoples log are you guys implementing the fix in a new patch or update? or Does everyone who has this issue have to send an e-mail and a log so you guys can analyze it and fix that specific problem even if it may have been fixed already?

• Hello Kapi187,

Be kindly informed that you have a single ticket associated with the email address you used to register the forum account and that ticket is closed successfully meaning no reply was received from you after my colleague sent you the email on 05/22/2010 04:54:00 where you were explained that using multiple security solutions on the same computer may become unstable. This happens because all security solutions try to scan a file whenever one is accessed but they cannot do it at the same time, so this

causes either slowdowns or crashes of those software.

Please check your GMail account and let us know via email, as a simply reply you received from my colleague Oana, if you need any further assistance.

Keep in mind that log files are requested from each of you having this issue to try to determine a general cause and a general resolution of the issue. Most of the times the message 'Services are not responding' is due to the fact that multiple security solutions being installed or not properly uninstalled before installing BitDefender.

Last but not least please note that we are working toward an update that will resolve this matter and we do believe that it will be resolved in the new version of the software.

Best regards,

• kungfu
    edited June 2010

Last but not least please note that we are working toward an update that will resolve this matter and we do believe that it will be resolved in the new version of the software.

Best regards,

Halelulja :D ,but excuse me,I believe it when I see it ;)

as well on the English forum the same problems exists in the French,German etc forums so its clear its a general worlwide problem...

With regards

• I was having a similar issue with BD and services (vsserv.exe) not responding at start-up even though the process is running.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and ran BD repair tool.All seems fine now, hopefully it isn't a reoccurring issue. : P

• I think it was the other spyware program I had installed interfering with BD just like DannyDan said.

Thanks for the input to everyone.I hope others can resolve the issue so easily, as well.

• @DannyDan I found the e-mail I was sent.. it says to remove "Windows Live Family Safety" as other security solution programs might interfere with Bitdefender...blah blah blah... if that was the case why not ask us to uninstall Windows Firewall? or Windows Defender for that matter (Which are disabled because I have Bitdefender ... if it ever works)... I checked to see if Windows Live Family Safety was installed on my PC.. It shows up in my program list and when I click on it, it asks me to sign in and setup Windows Live Family Safety.. meaning I've never used it and it was never setup to run. For the heck of it I did what was asked in the e-mail and went to vendor website (Microsoft) and tried to see how to uninstall it. It said to go to add/remove programs and uninstall it from there. I went to my add/remove programs and it wasn't one of the choices listed. I did not reply back to the e-mail as you said that incident was closed as Successful.

• I'll be short.

WinXP SP2 and BD Antivirus 2010

At boot it starts (red icon), then after 3-4 seconds it turns grey, it waits for the network card to connect (I mean, once I get the network card icon) it gets again red.

What to do? The bdftdif.sys file is a newer/updated version than the one indicated by Alex Stanciu.

Obviously, not because of an update problem, as the PC is updating automatically from BD servers.

PS: This is my third year of BD Antivirus, and only on 2010 version it happens. My Vista (another PC) still running 2009 version (updated only the key, not the software) works with no problem at all.

Very unhappy with my purchase, but 341 days remaining... Prove me I was right buying Romanian!!!

• Hi,

I have the same problem few days after I installed BD. Reported to customer support, but always not getting reply. I did removed others security software but problem still exist.

I have been sending the log files requested each time the BD crash for the last 2 months, but yet got respond...

Can anybody suggest what can i do to get BD support team to respond?

Thank you.

• thunderer
    edited June 2010

It seems that it takes time to answer... if any answer will ever come.

Have a nice day you too guys.

PS: Still hoping that someone will ever answer...

• Well guys,

Good news for me. The problem has finally disappeared after 6 months. Since my last post (number 210) I continued to have the problem until about a week ago. Now the problem has disappeared and I have no clue why, except perhaps an update rectified the problem- timely considering I am due for renewal in a few months time lol.

The only thing I did many months ago was change my updates to manual, but at that time, it didn't immediately rectify the problem.

So there is a solution out there.. just need the technicians to 'work it out'.

Sincerely, good luck to all- I truly hope a solution is found for you.

• Hello everyone,

Kapi187: Please note that even if you never used Windows Family safety the software was still installed into your PC and its modules running. If you can't find it in the list of Add/Remove programs follow the steps below. Keep in mind that most of the cases where the issue 'Services are not responding' occurs is when another security solution is installed on the respectful PC.

To answer your second question, when you install BitDefender you are asked to disable both Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. Not doing so may results in having the 'services are not responding' error as BitDefender modules will not be properly loaded.

Please follow the steps below in order to remove Windows Live Family

Safety:

a. Click on Start and select Run (for Vista you have the search box);

b. In the box type: Regedit and press OK;

c. It will open a new window named Registry Editor;

d. Please locate this key using the menu the left part:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fssfltr_tdi

e. Change the Start value in the right part to value '4' by double left clicking on the Start entry in the left part;

f. Close all open windows.

thunderer: As a first advise I would recommend you to upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 3 from Microsoft Windows Updates website. After you install the Service Pack and you restart the PC please repair BitDefender as explained below:

- Click on the START menu button

- Go to All Programs -> BitDefender 2010 -> Repair or Remove

- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer each time you are requested to.

I am also interested in the following information on the vsserv issue and when the issue reproduce:

- right after you started the PC

- after you recover the PC from a hibernate / sleep / stand-by state

- when you switch from a Windows user to another

- when you use a certain application

- does always resolve upon restarting the PC

- look in the processes list (open Task Manager - press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) for vsserv.exe and also mention the number of Threads

- any other situation when the issue reproduce.

sfking: Please provide me with either the email address you used to send us the log files or the ticket ID assigned to you. The ID starts with 2010 and can be found in the email subject line.

Oracle: Glad to see the issue was resolved, feel free to contact us with any future queries you may have.

Kind regards,

• Same thing happens to me, every day to day & 1/2 (vsserv.exe) stops responding, this is BS. Its been happening for over 2 months now.

• Hello Lamron333,

In order to solve this issue please be so kind as to make sure you uninstalled any other security solution you might have on the same computer (any spyware removal, Ad Aware, Spybot or any another antivirus).

Having more then one security product installed on the same PC can degrade performance and cause system instability. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the background. We recommend you to uninstall all the other security solutions in order for BitDefender to work properly. We also recommend you to run a registry cleaner on your computer in order to improve the system performance.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps from this link in order to provide us with the reports we need for further investigation.

The reports will be sent directly to our Technical Support Team and you will receive an automatic reply shortly. Please send me a PM with the ticket ID from the Subject of the e-mail so that I may analyze the reports and send you a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you!

• @DannyDan Tried what you recommended and turned that registry flag to a 4 ... rebooted PC and waited... Bitdefender just crashed again. SO I'm assuming your next reply is going to be to send you another log, right? or DO you guys want to take another GUESS and tell me another program to try and uninstall or stop? Maybe I should go back to Windows XP? What do you think? I'm sorry If i'm sounding sarcastic Danny Dan but you have to understand how frustrating this can be... You guys are making my PC so vulnerable specially when I'm not around to see it crash!

• Hello Edward,

Be kindly informed that we are still waiting for the requested log files from you. The ticket ID is: 201005221001933 and our reply was sent on 05/22/2010 04:54:00. Please send me the log files *via email*. I have tried to locate any reply on your behalf, however I could not find any. I hope you understand that we need to first investigate the matter with the help of the log files we requested from you so be so kind and reply to the last email you received.

• First, Thanks for using my real name.. I do like how I can't even keep some privacy in this forum...

Second, You or whoever sent me the first e-mail must have received the LOG you requested on 05/22/2010 04:54:00 otherwise why would they ask me to uninstall Windows Family Center or what not? I'm going to create ANOTHER log and send to you.

• Not really sure how to send the logs specifically to you... running support tool... I guess when it's done I'll let you know to look for it...

• Please look for Ticket ID : 20100619100161

Thanks.

• mpsmom
    edited June 2010

Unbe*******lievable!!!! This thread has been going on since Nov of 2009 and apparently BD has decided to just keep asking for individual logs than to try and fix the problem. Strike 3. As someone else pointed out, when u buy a product that does not do as advertised (as in a virus checker that just stops working whenever it wants to), the contract is broken and you can legally get a refund. I will not be renewing my license and I will make sure to comment anywhere I see BD mentioned and direct ppl to this thread that has taken more than 8 months (and still counting) to fix.

• @mpsmom I think you are right... I've been trying to get some help to fix this but they keep asking for logs... I've been told to remove the windows family center security whatever or not... after doing that I submitted another log because issue is still occurring and I get a reply to do the same thing again!!.. It ###### that we've been pushed to this point.. it looks like after a few years of loyal service I'm going to have to ask for my money back and go with another A/V and Internet security program.

This discussion has been closed.