Possible Bug: Bdss Stops After Update

Last few times I updated BitDefender 10 IS, it behaved somehow strage.

After it downloaded the files and that BitDefender is updating window appeared, my PC's CPU was used at 100% for a lot longer then it used to be after a BD update. I could do anything on my PC until it stopped (I couldn't even open TaskManager).

After that window dissapeared, I noticed that BD didn't scan any of the files I accesed and my PC was running extremely slow (surfing the net was practicly impossible). The slowdown was not caused by any CPU usage or HDD usage...it was just running very slow.

But BitDefender reported that everything was running and the Activity Bar didn't display a red cross in the AV section.

I opened the Services window and I noticed that BitDefender Scan Server was stopped (one time it was running, but BitDefender Virus Shield service was stopped).

After I Started the stopped service, absolutely everything returned back to normal.

In normal conditions, this wouldn't be a reason to report a possible bug, but this situation repeated for a few days, on every update, which makes me wonder it there really is a problem with BD.

Does anyone else experience this? Should I report it on LiveAssistance, or am I just exagerating?

Cris.

Comments

• Hello Cris

Try this open BitDefender go to general, settings and uncheck enable outbreak detection. When I did that my pc didn't freeze anymore after an update. I had the same issue and also sometimes a blue screen. By me the services aren't stopped.

Regards

Niels

• Thanks for the info, Niels.

Anyway, at the moment this is not very serious. If it becomes more serious, I'll try your suggestion.

I just wanted to bring this to attention, maybe someone else is having this problem.

Unchecking an option is not a real solution (it's just a temp solution) and, if this really is a problem, I'd prefere an update that fixes it (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), especially because Outbreak Detection is an important feature of BD.

Cris.

• Hello Cris

When I enabled the option again than the cpu usage increases alot and sometimes it crashed my computer. That wasn't the case for me in the past it only happens I think after an important update that was I think released in the beginning of June. I only posted as a temporary fix.

Regards

Niels

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited July 2007

Hello,

Since the last post I have never had any problems when updating BitDefender... until just right now. And I think I found a possible incompatibility.

When I have my FTP Server online (I use XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html), updating BitDefender is very slow (the CPU goes up to the sky, at 100%, the RAM memory gets filled to the max (512DDR) and nothing works for a few minutes).

All previous times when I had this problem, I had my FTP Server online (I also have the WebServer online, but that has no problems with BD).

Could anyone confirm this possible issue? Also, could any of the BETA Testers of the new BDv11 please check this?

Cris.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited July 2007

OK, I can now fully confirm the issue (at least in my case).

This is what happenes:

- I have my FTP server online (noone connected, no activity from it...it's just online)

- update BD (download the files)

- then bdss.exe goes CRAZY! The CPU doesn't go to 100% (as I previously said)...it stays at about 30%.

But bdss.exe starts to eat a lot of memory (it even gets to about 600 MB: 250 MB in RAM and 350 MB in Virtual Memory)

- after some time, another bdss.exe instance appeares (it doesn't occupy much space... just a little over 5MB or so...)

- after a few seconds, the new bdss.exe instance dissapears. The first instance remains (with a lot of memory eaten by it)

- after about a minute, it finally closes. The BitDefender Scan Server remains stopped!!

And this last update wans't very big (a few hundred KB if I recall correctly). So that's not the problem.

Anyone else having these results?

Cris.

• Hi Cris

By me the largest amount of memory that bdss.exe used was +/- 41 mb and it decreases directly. The use of in virtual memory is by me 35 mb. Also by me when an update is performed there is only one instance of bdss.exe active.Sometimes after an update vsserv.exe used 99 %. Till now my computer didn't freezed.

Regards

Niels

• Hi Niels,

Yes, that's the usual behaviour of BD on my PC also...when my FTP server is offline. But when I start the FTP server, everything chages to what I described. I can reproduce it anytime, it's not only a passing problem...

Cris.

• Hi... i am facing the same issue with BitDefender V10.2 Build 247 on my Vista. It hangs every time it completes an update.