Infostealer_bzup.bf

Akrux
edited December 2008 in Malware talk

I bought the three computer version of BitDefender from Software Casa (download).

I downloaded the program and installed it on my computer with no problem.

My wife's computer has a virus/malware that wants you to enter credit card information to buy Rapid Antivirus - a fake website meant to grab your credit card info. I believe the malware is called INFOStealer_BZUP.BF or something close to that. I searched in the forums and found a 2007 post that said use Viper from Counterspy to get rid of it. I tried that and failed. I think the malware on my wife's computer is a more recent version of the Infostealer malware from 2007.

The malware also blocks your attempts to go to websites other than some common ones like MSN and Yahoo. I am unable to get to BitDefender or Software Casa websites to download the anti-virus program.

I tried to download the Bitdefender on my computer, copy it to CD and copy it on to my wife's computer. That worked but when I try to run/install it on my wife's computer it fails. On start it tries to connect to the BitDefender website (which fails) and therefore the program will not run.

Please advise how to get rid of this malware to maintain marital harmony hehe.

I can't post a scan result as the program will not run. As I said earlier the malware prevents access to most websites and will not let me activate BitDefender.

Comments

• No reply in over one month. Honestly I am a little disappointed in BitDefender. Does anyone from the company even read these forums?

• Hello Akrux,

This is only a user forum. Sorry for the delay. Can you please do this : click on start,all programs,my computer,open your hard disk by double clicking on it,windows,system 32,drivers,etc,now double click on HOSTS by open with select wordpad. See if you can find any references to antivirus websites or update servers I mean http://upgrade.bitdefender.com if present delete all these rules now save it.

I advise that you download BitDefender rescue cd-rom which you can download here. You need to burn it as bootable image. In other words if you see BitDefenderRescueCD_v2.0.0_07_08_2008.iso on the cd-rom than you did not created a bootable disk/image. Print the following instructions and please follow them and here for how to update.

Kind regards,

Niels