Dnschanger

can someone please help!

on my old laptop i was runnign vista and got infected with the zlob dnschanger.trojan.

even after wiping the system and reinstalling it was there staright away.

i puirchased a new laptop the other day, turned it on set it up and as soon as i connected i was unable to update my avg or windows, at this point i already knew what was wrong.

so i did a scan with spybot as i know that this always picks it up.

somebody told me that the trojan can get on my wireless router. if tyhis is the case then how on earth do i get rid of it

can someone please tell me how to get rid of this thing once and for all.

Comments

• spoog, there are many versions of the trojan you mentioned, perhaps you could be more specific ?

are you sure that you are wiping out the system correctly (format?!).

As far as my knowledge goes the trojan cannot get on your wireless router, it actually sounds quite stupid that it would (it can't ... it's very unlikely if not impossible).

It could be that you are connected to a network that has an infected computer or your router is connected to a windows server / router that is infected in this way every time you connect to the internet the trojan makes way to your machine.

• spoog, there are many versions of the trojan you mentioned, perhaps you could be more specific ?

are you sure that you are wiping out the system correctly (format?!).

As far as my knowledge goes the trojan cannot get on your wireless router, it actually sounds quite stupid that it would (it can't ... it's very unlikely if not impossible).

It could be that you are connected to a network that has an infected computer or your router is connected to a windows server / router that is infected in this way every time you connect to the internet the trojan makes way to your machine.

sorry about being abit vauge but when i do a scan all i get is zlob.dnschanger.

it redirects me all over the net. i have previously deleted the dns server entries manually but to no avail, it just keeps coming back

i know this is stupid but my wireless router has no security, im on virgin but i never got a wireless router so i had to buy a second hand one and never set up a password, mine is the only computer in the house but is it possible that a neighbour is using my connection and this is where i could be getting it from?

• Unknown
    edited December 2008

Hi Spoog,

If you have a non-protected wireless router, it is very much likely that someone else tapped into your connection as well, and he or she could be virused.

Set a password on your router for starters (both the admin are and for the wireless access). Enable the integrated firewall in your router as well, and then fresh install windows. Hope this works.

• Hi Spoog,

If you have a non-protected wireless router, it is very much likely that someone else tapped into your connection as well, and he or she could be virused.

Set a password on your router for starters (both the admin are and for the wireless access). Enable the integrated firewall in your router as well, and then fresh install windows. Hope this works.

coul dyou tell me how to do that, how do i access the router to change all this i have a netgear router on cable.

• Download Malwarebytes' Anti-malware from here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe

Once the download is complete, run the install program, and accept all of the default options. Make sure that the options to Update and Launch the software is checked when you click Finish.

Now, let's make sure that it has all of the latest anti-spyware definitions: click on the Update tab and click the Check for Updates button.

malwarebytes1.png

After the updates have been loaded, click on the Scanner tab and choose the Perform Complete Scan option, then click the Scan button.

a5163075fd548685aa01c10a88346d17.png

When the scan is complete, it will show you all of the potentially harmful files on your computer - click the button to remove them automatically.

Paste the scan log here. :)