Bitdefender Sevices Not Responding In Safe Mode

Hey there, I'm new to this but could really use some help if it's not too much trouble.

I recently bought the latest versin of BD internet security. after scanning i am left with Trojan.Generic.709334 which cannot be removed, quarantined, fixed etc. (no action possible).

So, I figured I would try a scan in safe mode. Once I get into safe mode I click on BD and low and behold I get a BD window saying "BitDefender services are not responding". Then when I boot normally BD works fine. Might this have something to do with not being connected to my network whilst in safe mode? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• That is because Safe Mode loads only the most important services needed for your operating system to function hence, Bitdefender (or any other antivirus program for that sake) does not work in Safe Mode if it depends on a service.

What the Trojan goes, have you tried disabling System Restore? Trojans and other malware like to save a copy of themself there so if a antivirus program removes the Trojan it will simply reinstall itself from System Restore. System Restore is locked by your operating system so no antivirus program is able to remove the Trojan from there. Disabling System Restore deletes all System Restore files and thereby also the Trojan hiding there. Disabling System Restore leaves you with no System Restore Points so if you enable System Restore again (after making sure the Trojan is gone) make sure to manually create a Restore Point.

Now you could try using a System Restore Point from before your computer got infected by the Trojan. The down side of this is any program installed between the creation date of the Restore Point you use and now will stop working and have to be reinstalled.

• That is because Safe Mode loads only the most important services needed for your operating system to function hence, Bitdefender (or any other antivirus program for that sake) does not work in Safe Mode if it depends on a service.

What the Trojan goes, have you tried disabling System Restore? Trojans and other malware like to save a copy of themself there so if a antivirus program removes the Trojan it will simply reinstall itself from System Restore. System Restore is locked by your operating system so no antivirus program is able to remove the Trojan from there. Disabling System Restore deletes all System Restore files and thereby also the Trojan hiding there. Disabling System Restore leaves you with no System Restore Points so if you enable System Restore again (after making sure the Trojan is gone) make sure to manually create a Restore Point.

Now you could try using a System Restore Point from before your computer got infected by the Trojan. The down side of this is any program installed between the creation date of the Restore Point you use and now will stop working and have to be reinstalled.

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate the help. However, before I had a chance to try a system restore, windows is now failing to start successfully. It won't even boot up in safe mode, just keeps coming back to the "We apologize but Windows did not start successfully..." screen. Sigh. So I suppose another reformat is in store for me now...will that ensure my system will be infection free...or is there still the chance that the virus will be there even after a reformat?

• If you format the harddisk before reinstalling the computer the virus or what ever kind of infection your computer has is gone.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited December 2008
    System Restore is locked by your operating system so no antivirus program is able to remove the Trojan from there.

Actually, starting with v11 (BitDefender 2008), BitDefender products are perfectly able to remove infections from System Volume Information and clean restore points... with the only condition that the malware is known by the detection engine. :)

Other info about System Volume Information are here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=3575

Art Vandelay, where exactly is the detected file located? (the one that you've mentioned in the first post).

You can also try THIS to remove it, even if the computer doesn't boot.

Cris.

EDIT: I just noticed that you have another topic about this same Trojan, here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=10955

Please, in the future, keep the problem in the same topic. It's hard to follow the same problem all over the forum. I will close this topic. Please continue discussion in the link above. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.