Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Please Help: Cannot Connect To Update Server

Hi

I bought and installed BitDefender Internet Security 2009 on Saturday, 27 December. My problem is the virus definitions won't update.

When I click on Update, it says "An error occurred during the update (Could not connect)." I have tried contacting BitDefender but when I called the phone helpline it rang for ages and then disconnected. When I try Chat, most of the time it is offline. The one time I got though, I was asked to send livesrv.log, v_live_s.xml and sysdump.tar, which I did, but I have not heard back from them for 2 days. Meanwhile, my PC is at risk because the virus definitions are way out of date.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you so much.

Phil

Comments

• I too bought BitDefender on Dec 28 2008 and have been unable to update. I have also followed the same instructions. Everything, tracert & nslookup & browser hits on upgrade.bitdefender.com show that it is unavailable. What is going on here. I have seen several posts tonight with this same complaint.

Any ideas out there?

thanks

Hi

I bought and installed BitDefender Internet Security 2009 on Saturday, 27 December. My problem is the virus definitions won't update.

When I click on Update, it says "An error occurred during the update (Could not connect)." I have tried contacting BitDefender but when I called the phone helpline it rang for ages and then disconnected. When I try Chat, most of the time it is offline. The one time I got though, I was asked to send livesrv.log, v_live_s.xml and sysdump.tar, which I did, but I have not heard back from them for 2 days. Meanwhile, my PC is at risk because the virus definitions are way out of date.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you so much.

Phil

• I am looking for the post that recommended changing the default update server from upgrade.bitdefender.com to upgrade1.bitdefender.com. After running all of the diagnostics and becoming very frustrated, this solved the problem. But, it also shows that the problem is with BD's servers.

What is going on out there?

thanks, AtlantaEng

• plegrain
    edited December 2008
    I am looking for the post that recommended changing the default update server from upgrade.bitdefender.com to upgrade1.bitdefender.com. After running all of the diagnostics and becoming very frustrated, this solved the problem. But, it also shows that the problem is with BD's servers.

What is going on out there?

thanks, AtlantaEng

I tried upgrade1.bitdefender.com but it didn't work either. I have gone back to <removed> and purchased <removed> Internet Security 2009 instead, and am obtaining a refund from BitDefender. It's a pity, because the reviews for BitDefender made it sound great.

• bootsie
    edited December 2008
    I tried upgrade1.bitdefender.com but it didn't work either. I have gone back to <removed> and purchased <removed> Internet Security 2009 instead, and am obtaining a refund from BitDefender. It's a pity, because the reviews for BitDefender made it sound great.

I am having the same problem. Cannot update at all, I have just bought this as I have used BitDefender for a couple of years now. My 2008 BD antivirus expires in 3 days and am stumped as what to do,

, looks like i`ll be asking for a refund as well.

• @ bootsie is the update module available? and what is the exact error that you are receiving when you try to update bd?

• @ bootsie is the update module available? and what is the exact error that you are receiving when you try to update bd?

Thanks for your reply.

No, 'update is UNAVAILABLE', that is exactly how it is written., everything is grayed out.

I have contacted live support and sent the sysdump.tar etc, but not holding my breath for an answer anytime soon. This is really frustrating as my BD 2008 runs out today.

• did you try to upgrade to the 2009 product?

• did you try to upgrade to the 2009 product?

OK, I have been using BD for a couple of years and bought the renew Antivirus 2009 a couple of days ago.

I was advised to remove 2008 and follow instructions to install 2009 Antivirus, this is what I have done.

When I wrote last awhile ago, after install 'update' was not available at all, all sections were grayed out.

What I have done since is to take out 2009 with the 'removal tool' and then install from the BD website, turned off windows firewall and everything was fine, the updates worked and the scan worked, until I had to reboot.

On rebooting, the icon on my desktop and the one in the system tray, do not work, so I can`t bring up the control panel - so now what do I do? any ideas?

• OK, I have been using BD for a couple of years and bought the renew Antivirus 2009 a couple of days ago.

I was advised to remove 2008 and follow instructions to install 2009 Antivirus, this is what I have done.

When I wrote last awhile ago, after install 'update' was not available at all, all sections were grayed out.

What I have done since is to take out 2009 with the 'removal tool' and then install from the BD website, turned off windows firewall and everything was fine, the updates worked and the scan worked, until I had to reboot.

On rebooting, the icon on my desktop and the one in the system tray, do not work, so I can`t bring up the control panel - so now what do I do? any ideas?

Well, good news, I hope! After hours on trying to sort this, everything is finally working.

I found the BD icon in 'start menu' and sent it to my desktop, I can bring up the control panel now and the updates are working, how long for I have no idea, but at least I can update...................pheeww!

Btw, have turned the firewall back on now and everything is still working, fingers crossed.............

Thanks for trying to help.

• I had this same problem... BD 2009 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Solution:

- Uninstall BD 2009 with their uninstall tool

- Install BD 2008 64 bit and it will work fine.

After google-ing like mad trying to figure this out that's what worked for me.

• marsue43
    edited January 2009
    Hi

Can anyone please help?

Thank you so much.

Phil

I bought BD Internet Security on the same day as you did Phil. At first it worked OK, but now I cannot update at all. My OS is Windows XP. I am getting an exclamation mark in the taskbar icon of BD. When I click onto this it tells me that there is an update required. When I mannually click onto this the update starts but gets to 25% and then goes back to 0%, this happens at least 4 times and then just goes blank. I have had an online "chat" with a Sam of BD and I have sent him the same livesrv.log, etc etc. This was early yesterday and have heard nothing since, so still no update. I bought this after reading reviews, but will now ask for a refund as I am very dissatisfied and my PC is at great risk. What a shambles and what a bad image for BD to be giving to new customers.

• I started with BD2008 and tried to install BD2009. I also had the Update Setting page grayed out. I spent several hours uninstalling and reinstalling with no success.

Finally, I used the BD uninstall tool. It said it had not gotten rid of all registry values. I then used RegClean and RegBooster (I happen to have these) to clean the registry. I then reinstalled BD2009 and it works.

BD should tell people about the uninstall tool when they buy BD2009. I had a chat with "Elizabeth" on their help line, and she did not tell me about it. Instead, she was going to send me the software that downloads a lot of information about my system configuration. When I complained that this was going to take too long, she told me that they expect minimum cooperation from their users, and hung up. She did not send me the software.

This has been an extremely painful and negative experience.

• I tried upgrade1.bitdefender.com but it didn't work either. I have gone back to <removed> and purchased <removed> Internet Security 2009 instead, and am obtaining a refund from BitDefender. It's a pity, because the reviews for BitDefender made it sound great.

How do you apply for a reply as quoted above, I emailed BD last week asking for a refund and again today, but they are not reponding. This is what I want to do, I purchased BD on 27.12.08 and am not able to update, just goes to 25% four times and then cuts out. This has been going on for the past 10 days. I keep getting messages to update, but still cannot. I want out from this company asap. I am getting no replies back from the "support"?? team and have had an online so called chat with Sam of BD - although very pleasant - was of no assistance. What a disappointment, after reading the reviews it sounded like a good option. Very angry now about this company.

• How do you apply for a reply as quoted above, I emailed BD last week asking for a refund and again today, but they are not reponding. This is what I want to do, I purchased BD on 27.12.08 and am not able to update, just goes to 25% four times and then cuts out. This has been going on for the past 10 days. I keep getting messages to update, but still cannot. I want out from this company asap. I am getting no replies back from the "support"?? team and have had an online so called chat with Sam of BD - although very pleasant - was of no assistance. What a disappointment, after reading the reviews it sounded like a good option. Very angry now about this company.

Have you tried their dedicated uninstall tool? Go to http://tinyurl.com/BDUninstall and download their special uninstall tool (bottom of page) and then reinstall BD. This worked for me after a lot of frustration of uninstalling using my control panel system and reinstalling. I also ran RegCure (a registry cleaner) before I reinstalled. I don't know if this was important or just superstition.

• Have you tried their dedicated uninstall tool? Go to http://tinyurl.com/BDUninstall and download their special uninstall tool (bottom of page) and then reinstall BD. This worked for me after a lot of frustration of uninstalling using my control panel system and reinstalling. I also ran RegCure (a registry cleaner) before I reinstalled. I don't know if this was important or just superstition.

Hi resonator80 - thanks for a quick reply. I am not sure what uninstall tool I downloaded. Having downloaded BD Internet Security 2009 at the end of December, I uninstalled this programme, cleaned the Registry with Ccleaner, restarted my computer and then clicked on the BD icon that I had downloaded on 27/12/08. I was interrupted by BD informing me that there was a newer version of BDIS 2009, which I went ahead and downloaded. I was then informed to use the BD uninstaller and this also downloaded. With the newer version I am getting updates, but I have still not heard a word from the BD support team. Could be that they have put a "fix" on this newer version?? I feel that this is not a company I want to deal with, even if the reviews were favourable. I would prefer to get a refund and start again with a fresh antivirus. I am not sure however how to go about this, as mentioned before I cannot get BD support staff to answer my emails. Thanks again.

• How do you apply for a reply as quoted above, I emailed BD last week asking for a refund and again today, but they are not reponding. This is what I want to do, I purchased BD on 27.12.08 and am not able to update, just goes to 25% four times and then cuts out. This has been going on for the past 10 days. I keep getting messages to update, but still cannot. I want out from this company asap. I am getting no replies back from the "support"?? team and have had an online so called chat with Sam of BD - although very pleasant - was of no assistance. What a disappointment, after reading the reviews it sounded like a good option. Very angry now about this company.

Sorry this should read REFUND not reply above. How do you apply for a refund, as quoted above.

• Hi resonator80 - thanks for a quick reply. I am not sure what uninstall tool I downloaded. Having downloaded BD Internet Security 2009 at the end of December, I uninstalled this programme, cleaned the Registry with Ccleaner, restarted my computer and then clicked on the BD icon that I had downloaded on 27/12/08. I was interrupted by BD informing me that there was a newer version of BDIS 2009, which I went ahead and downloaded. I was then informed to use the BD uninstaller and this also downloaded. With the newer version I am getting updates, but I have still not heard a word from the BD support team. Could be that they have put a "fix" on this newer version?? I feel that this is not a company I want to deal with, even if the reviews were favourable. I would prefer to get a refund and start again with a fresh antivirus. I am not sure however how to go about this, as mentioned before I cannot get BD support staff to answer my emails. Thanks again.

I am glad you have things working.

My attitude is that BD gets a good reputation for removing viruses etc, so I am just going to carry on, get some work done, and not worry about their sorry support team. I suspect that other AV software makers have similar support problems. Forums are by far the best place to get help.

The real problem is Windows. I am considering replacing one of my PCs with a Mac and possibly go in that direction. This is not chea.p, of course.

• I am glad you have things working.

My attitude is that BD gets a good reputation for removing viruses etc, so I am just going to carry on, get some work done, and not worry about their sorry support team. I suspect that other AV software makers have similar support problems. Forums are by far the best place to get help.

The real problem is Windows. I am considering replacing one of my PCs with a Mac and possibly go in that direction. This is not chea.p, of course.

BD got back to me gave me the usuall "you need to reinstall" crap. I told them that that is not acceptable. They said that they will get back to me today but im not holding my breath. FYI norton 2009 just got great reviews in PCMAG and LAPTOP mag

• BD got back to me gave me the usuall "you need to reinstall" crap. I told them that that is not acceptable. They said that they will get back to me today but im not holding my breath. FYI norton 2009 just got great reviews in PCMAG and LAPTOP mag

I gave up on Norton and McAfee some time ago as they seemed to be very large and slow down my computer. I have been happy with BD--when it works! Apparently the update problem is no just something that occurred yesterday, or is confined to a single computer.

• BD got back to me gave me the usuall "you need to reinstall" crap. I told them that that is not acceptable. They said that they will get back to me today but im not holding my breath. FYI norton 2009 just got great reviews in PCMAG and LAPTOP mag

I have asked for a refund and have just had an email from BD support asking for more details so that they can trace my order! Wonderful, what a shower they seem to be - as this was only on 27/12/08 there can't have been that many purchasers. Still no reply to my problems with the updating, so I'm afraid that I am going to accept the refund - if they can find trace of me. What I'm afraid of is that the new installation will have the same blip in a week or two's time and I shall be back where I started and may not then be able to claim a refund. I too have tried McAfee and disliked this taking charge of my computer with pop ups everywhere. Norton charge for their support and it is more expensive annually. I really don't know which way to jump, or what antivirus to look at next. I only wish that BD support was better. I shall have a look at the reviews on Norton 2009 in the PC mag, thanks