Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Flagged Browser.exe File

Options

Received the following message when installing BD Internet Security 2009.

"flagged browser.exe file from ATT Yahoo DSL as trojan and deleted it"

I am leary to reinstall BD 09 until I can decipher this message.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello,

I have never heard of such a message, and I can't quite understand what it might mean.

Could you tell me who exactly showed that message? Since you say you were in the middle of the installation process, I assume it wasn't BitDefender. Was is the installer? Was it some other application? Did you copy the exact message text? Do you have other security software installed (maybe even Yahoo AntiSpy)?

Cris.

• bigcatbob
    edited December 2008
    Options

Cris,

This message was received from the installer when I was installing the product. Yes the message I posted contained the word for word error message. I have no other security software installed.

Bob

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited December 2008
    Options

Do you know what "ATT Yahoo DSL" refers to? I assume it is an application, or something installed in your system.

Also, in what step of the installer did you get the message?

Cris.

• bigcatbob
    edited December 2008
    Options

Cris,

ATT is the internet service provider. Yahoo is their content partner. DSL refers to "Digital Subscriber Line".

It was near the end of the BD installation.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello,

If your ISP requires any software to be installed in order to let you connect to the network, please verify that software's integrity. One of it's files (namely browser.exe) might have been deleted.

Try to find that file (you can look also in the installation kit, if any). If you can, please send me (attached on this topic, through PM, or by mail) a copy of browser.exe. If you can't find it, try to send me the installation kit for the software required by ATT.

Right now, do you have BitDefender installed? Or you removed it (or you didn't even let it finish installing)?

Any files that you send/attach should be archived (ZIP) and password-protected (with the password infected). I'm not saying that the software is infected with anything, but password-protection assures that the files will remain intact when sending over the internet. And infected is a standard password for samples. :)

If you want that the files that you attach on this topic to remain private, I will move this topic in Malware Talk, so no other users except Moderators and Virus Analysts will have access to the files.

Cris.

• Hello,

If your ISP requires any software to be installed in order to let you connect to the network, please verify that software's integrity. One of it's files (namely browser.exe) might have been deleted.

Try to find that file (you can look also in the installation kit, if any). If you can, please send me (attached on this topic, through PM, or by mail) a copy of browser.exe. If you can't find it, try to send me the installation kit for the software required by ATT.

Right now, do you have BitDefender installed? Or you removed it (or you didn't even let it finish installing)?

Any files that you send/attach should be archived (ZIP) and password-protected (with the password infected). I'm not saying that the software is infected with anything, but password-protection assures that the files will remain intact when sending over the internet. And infected is a standard password for samples. :)

If you want that the files that you attach on this topic to remain private, I will move this topic in Malware Talk, so no other users except Moderators and Virus Analysts will have access to the files.

Cris.

• I to have had this problem of having browser.exe alerted as being a Trojan using my antivirus and antispyware programs. In my case it is also located in Windows. After having browser.exe removed I couldn't get on line with AT&T Yahoo. Only by restoring the file could I reconnect on line. I have had this problem some time around mid year of '08. I have had to tell all the progroms to "Ignore" or "Allow" this file or they will guarantine the file and then I have to restore it to be able to get back on line using AT&T, IE will work fine if browser.exe is in quarantine or removed. I believe (and hope) that this is a legit file but with a bad name. When this first started I even removed the AT&T software making sure browser.exe was also removed and reinstalled the program. Same results after scanning. I have even scanned the installation disc and it alerts on the Startup Folder on the disc where browser.exe is located. I've talked to AT&T on line about this problem, but the guy I talked to didn't know anything. He keep harping about antivirus and antispyware programs. No help what so ever and ended the chat without resolving the issue. I have submitted browser.exe to http://virusscan.jotti.org/ to have it scanned by about 20 different antivirus programs and 11 of the programs said it was a Trojan and 9 of the progrms said "Nothing Found". BitDefender stated it was a Trojan.Agent.ALIN. So, I hope this is a legit file with just a bad name. Can't believe AT&T would do something like this if this is really a Trojan.