Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Total Security 2009 Trial, Version 12.0.11.2

Hi,

I have been using AVG Antivirus 8 since past one year, before which I used McAfee Antivirus.

I use XP Professional SP 3.

I was on the lookout for a new Security Suite which would take care of all of my security needs like Anti-virus and firewall and other stuff. I used AVG Internet Security 8 and seems like it doesnt give the user more options regarding the various operations. I found out that Bitdefender was a highly rated security suite after finding some of the reviews on the internet very good and am using it's trial version since the past 2 days.

It was mentioned in some review that bitdefender really slows down moving files, as well as extraction of large rar files. I experienced it while trying to unrar a 100 MB file and it took more time than usual.

Next I tried installing Nero 9. The installation of Nero first extracts the files and then the installation options appear after which it uninstalls. And during the installation it mentions that the space required for the installation would be 2 GB. So that is a lot of space and a large amount of files being copied. The extraction process and the installation process has been slowed considerably. Expecially the installation it has been more than 1 and 1/2 hour and the installation is still at 70%. I think that Bitdefender might be responsible for this since the installation started vsserv.exe is using more than 60% of cpu as seen in taskmanager.

After this episode I am thinking of saying bye to Bitdefender. But I wanted to be sure as this is an excellent suite except for this. So please help me out.

Is this a known issue. Does bitdefender really slow down zipping and unzipping. Does bitdefender slow down moving of large files? Does bitdefender slow the extraction of some files, .cab files for example.

Thanx for reading this and thanx in advance if you wish to help.

Comments

• Hi,

I have been using AVG Antivirus 8 since past one year, before which I used McAfee Antivirus.

I was on the lookout for a new Security Suite which would take care of all of my security needs like Anti-virus and firewall and other stuff. I used AVG Internet Security 8 and seems like it doesnt give the user more options regarding the various operations. I found out that Bitdefender was a highly rated security suite after finding some of the reviews on the internet very good and am using it's trial version since the past 2 days.

It was mentioned in some review that bitdefender really slows down moving files, as well as extraction of large rar files. I experienced it while trying to unrar a 100 MB file and it took more time than usual.

Next I tried installing Nero 9. The installation of Nero first extracts the files and then the installation options appear after which it uninstalls. And during the installation it mentions that the space required for the installation would be 2 GB. So that is a lot of space and a large amount of files being copied. The extraction process and the installation process has been slowed considerably. Expecially the installation it has been more than 1 and 1/2 hour and the installation is still at 70%. I think that Bitdefender might be responsible for this since the installation started vsserv.exe is using more than 60% of cpu as seen in taskmanager.

After this episode I am thinking of saying bye to Bitdefender. But I wanted to be sure as this is an excellent suite except for this. So please help me out.

Is this a known issue. Does bitdefender really slow down zipping and unzipping. Does bitdefender slow down moving of large files? Does bitdefender slow the extraction of some files, .cab files for example.

• david beckham
    edited January 2009

what's wrong?

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    Hi,

What is your hardware configuration (amount of RAM ,processor and when did you bought your computer ,etc)?

If BD 2009 doesnt perform as fast as you want ,use BD 2008 instead, its the fastest av on the market.I wouldnt recommend you BD 2009 on a single core processor.BD 2009 works fast on a dual core processor like AMD X2 6400+(this is what i have).

• Hello cybernomad,

To see if it isn't a problem of leftovers of your past installed security solutions please follow the instructions in this topic. BitDefender is very sensitive for leftovers. After you have done please perform a repair installation: start,all programs,BitDefender 2009,repair or remove choose for repair.

Do you still have enough free space in your temporary files directory? When that isn't the case the installation process can take a while. You can use a tool like ccleaner.

Try this press the windows button together with r now type this:

cmd press enter. You need to press enter after each command :

cd %windir%\system32

ren msi.dll msi.old

ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old

ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old

exit

Reboot your pc. Now download the latest windows installer version. Install it

To see if it wasn't a corrupt windows installer that caused the slow installation.

You can configure BitDefender realtime proteciton to skip large archives. To do that open BitDefender switch to advanced view,go to the antivirus section,high light the shield tab press on custom level there you can check do not scan archives large than. You must also understand that how good something is packed affects also how heavy vsserv.exe will work. So files are multiple times packed.

Kind regards,

Niels

• cybernomad
    edited January 2009

hi everyone,

thanx for responding...

first of all, about the nero installation. I searched google for nero 9 installation and found that a lot of people were experiencing, even those not using BD. so this is not an isolated problem.

However, i've noticed that during most of installations too, vsserv.exe is using about 90% of cpu as shown by taskmgr. This is especially true when extracting files from winrar. and also when extracting large DVD iso's from rar files. I had configured real time protection to custom settings and in these settings i had specified the max limit for every setting. after using BD like this for some days, today i have chosen default settings for the real time protection. Let's see if this helps.

My computer is about 3 to 3 and half yrs old. its configuration is:

Motherboard: Intel D101GGC

RAM: 1.5 GB (512 MB and 1 GB in different slots)

CPU: Intel Pentium IV 2.66 GHz

HDD: one 500 GB and one 80 GB

Is this configuration ok to run Bitdefender Total Security 2009.

I have dabbled with many AVs and i find Bitdefender to be the best. The kind of control it gives you over every aspect of security is awesome. There were some files on my computer, which AVG had termed clean, but BD found them to be malicious. The firewall is great, as it has a whitelist of freq used software which connect online. I really find this as the best AV ever. However, I wont be able to upgrade my hardware for maybe about 6-8 months. So please advise whether my current config is capable enough for BD 2009 or should I switch to BD TS 2008.

Is it true that BD TS 2009 runs good on a dual core machine??

What features of BD TS2009 will I miss in BD TS 2008?

thanx for reading this and thanx again if you are willing to help.