Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Total Security 2009 Scan And Update Issues

Options
StoneJam
edited January 2009 in General talk

I've been using the BitDefender 2009 Total Security for about a week now and I'm having 2 issues. First the auto updates will stop working randomly. It will work for a while then it will just stop updating. But it updates fine if I do it manually. Secondly, the scheduled over nite scan will not work. I tried to set it to do a contextual scan and it still did not work. But if I do a manual scan it will work fine. Lastly, is there some type of bug when setting the time on the scan? Say I set it for 2:00 am then click ok and when I go back to check it it now says 1:00 am. It jumps back an hour on the time I set each time I hit ok. Anyone else experience these bugs?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello StoneJam,

To see what else might cause the issue can you please do this:

Click on start,control panel switch to classic view double click on the folders icon after that press on the view tab and check the option show hidden files and folders and remove the checkmark by hide protected operating system files.,computer be sure that hidden files and folders are visible. Now click on start,computer, open the folder ProgramData,BitDefender,Dtrace please attach or copy the content of livesrv.log and upgrepl.log.

Try this also press the windows button together with r now type cmd press enter. After that type ipconfig /flushdns press enter. Type exit press enter again and reboot your pc.

That problem that you have with the scheduled task I also have. Are you logged in at the moment that scan normally should take place?

Kind regards,

Niels

• Niels,

Thanks for responding. I've attached both log files. Hopefully I get get this thing corrected on my friends pc.

Hello StoneJam,

To see what else might cause the issue can you please do this:

Click on start,control panel switch to classic view double click on the folders icon after that press on the view tab and check the option show hidden files and folders and remove the checkmark by hide protected operating system files.,computer be sure that hidden files and folders are visible. Now click on start,computer, open the folder ProgramData,BitDefender,Dtrace please attach or copy the content of livesrv.log and upgrepl.log.

Try this also press the windows button together with r now type cmd press enter. After that type ipconfig /flushdns press enter. Type exit press enter again and reboot your pc.

That problem that you have with the scheduled task I also have. Are you logged in at the moment that scan normally should take place?

Kind regards,

Niels

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=4571" data-fileid="4571" rel="">livesrv.log

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=4572" data-fileid="4572" rel="">upgrepl.log

• Niels
    Options

Hello StoneJam,

I think that there is some kind of time-out issue:

2009-01-16 22:19:44.828 [2356] [5436] [uPGREPL] vsserv.exe started after 100 milliseconds

2009-01-16 22:19:47.828 [2356] [5436] [uPGREPL] Starting c:\program files\common files\bitdefender\bitdefender update service\livesrv.exe... wait maximum 30 seconds

2009-01-16 22:19:47.949 [2356] [5436] [uPGREPL] livesrv.exe started after 100 milliseconds

I think that this might be the cause why automatic updates sometimes fails because the updater service only responds after the maximum time before the update request is aborted.

What other software is running in the background? I mean other security software,p2p software,...

Press the windows button together with r now type : services.msc press enter now double click on the terminal services and by startup type select automatic press on apply and ok and reboot now.

Try a repair installation: click on start,all programs,BitDefender 2009,repair or remove and select repair.

Kind regards,

Niels

• StoneJam
    edited January 2009
    Options

Hey Niels,

I just checked under terminal services and start up type is already listed as "automatic". I did the IP refresh you suggested and nothing ran last nite. AAlso the last updates were at 10 last nite. I've also attached a list of what programs are running when the computer starts up. I had no such problems with Total Security 2008. I'm at a loss as to whats going on here. Next up I'll try a repair and see if that does anything.

Hello StoneJam,

I think that there is some kind of time-out issue:

2009-01-16 22:19:44.828 [2356] [5436] [uPGREPL] vsserv.exe started after 100 milliseconds

2009-01-16 22:19:47.828 [2356] [5436] [uPGREPL] Starting c:\program files\common files\bitdefender\bitdefender update service\livesrv.exe... wait maximum 30 seconds

2009-01-16 22:19:47.949 [2356] [5436] [uPGREPL] livesrv.exe started after 100 milliseconds

I think that this might be the cause why automatic updates sometimes fails because the updater service only responds after the maximum time before the update request is aborted.

What other software is running in the background? I mean other security software,p2p software,...

Press the windows button together with r now type : services.msc press enter now double click on the terminal services and by startup type select automatic press on apply and ok and reboot now.

Try a repair installation: click on start,all programs,BitDefender 2009,repair or remove and select repair.

Kind regards,

Niels

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=4578" data-fileid="4578" rel="">StartUp.txt

• Niels
    Options

Hello StoneJam,

Does windows washer works in realtime? I suppose because I can see a startup item of it.

It might be that windows washer is removing BitDefender temporary files. Is it possible to disable it?

I see that you are also using Spybot Search & Destroy Teatimer. See if you didn't accidentally denied a registry action that is related to BitDefender. To test that reset Teatimer by following these instructions. Try to perform an update with BitDefender an allow any changes when spybot pop's up.

For the rest I can't see any other causes. Otherwise you need to contact support. Because as a normal user I can't think about much else. This is only a user forum.

Kind regards,

Niels

• thank you very much

• Hello,

I've just installed windows xp sp3 on my pc and i also installed BitDefender Total Security 2009, everything works fine except i can't update, the message says invalid proxy settings. I also can't access the BiDefender site from Firefox or IE.

Thanks!!!

• Are you using a proxy?

• Are you using a proxy?

I HAVE TE SAME PROBLEM ON SP3 AND DON'T USE ANY PROXY

WHAT CAN I DO

• I purchased BF IS in January, installed it and it worked great for about two weeks. The "fix Issues" warning came up about a week ago from the program and Windows popped up the Security Center vulnerability warning, indicating the software was out of date. Since the computer had not been rebooted in three days, I did so, and it updated. The next day the same issue warning came up again... rebooting didn't help. I have had all of the "greyed-out" symptoms described in the Bitdefender Support paper once, 2-14, and run the "patch". This did not help. Today I "tested" the effectiveness of the Bitdefender update by checking for Microsoft updates in the "Vulnerability" scanner. This worked fine. I have manually installed " weekly update". I have no other security software installed and have no references to prior software in the registry.

I don't think this is a conflict with another program. One might expect the conflict to begin right away, after installation, not lay dormant for weeks or months.

Any ideas, Neils?

Maybe staying with those nonsupporting @%#$#& at Kaspersky is the way to go , heh?

• Automatic updates also fail for me on Bitdefender Internet Security 2009 with PC running XP SP3. The automatic updates normally worked flawlessly until Feb 9th they suddenly stopped working...running for 8 days without updates is not good.

• I also have the same update problem on Win XP SP3. Automatic updates started to fail after Feb 13th.

I've repaired twice now.

HELP

• UPDATE

I uninstalled BD 2009 and re-installed (downloaded new version), now the update seems to be working.

What a pain. Hope this does not happen again.

• Thanks Veloce! I also uninstalled BD 2009 and re-installed (downloaded same version 12.0.11.4) and the automatic updates appear to be functioning again for me as well. The Bitdefender uninstall tool can be found at http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall I also hope this doesn't become a frequent problem with BD2009 updates...having to uninstall and reinstall a product to get it functioning as expected should be a last resort option, but it does seem to have worked this time.

• I've also observed the same problem as StoneJam reported at the beginning of this thread. I'm running BitDefender Internet Security 2009 Version 12.0.11.4 and I also observed the bug with respect to scheduling a scan. When you apply the time to scan for 10AM the scan scheduler will jump back by one hour and report the scan is scheduled to begin at 9AM. I tried this several times to confirm the bug and it appears to be consistent. You just have to set the scan time one hour ahead of the time you want it to scan for it to work correctly as expected.

Has anyone seen an errata list of the confirmed bugs against the BD2009 product?