Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Deleting temporary internet files

Options

Hi.

Since I installed Internet Security V10 trial it takes a rather longer time than usual to delete my temporary internet files.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Jim

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi Jim

It could be that the virusshield is scanning the temp file of IE when you want to clear it. To see if that is the case open BD and go to antivirus and look a the graph. How long it takes to clear the temp files is also how often do you empty it?

Regards

Niels

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2007
    Options

Hi Jim,

That's simple: there are A LOT of temporary internet files. I searched now, and I have over 1000 (and I don't even use Internet Explorer).

When you delete those files, BD scans each and everyone of them, and that's why it takes a lot longer.

• python
    Options
    Hi Jim

It could be that the virusshield is scanning the temp file of IE when you want to clear it. To see if that is the case open BD and go to antivirus and look a the graph. How long it takes to clear the temp files is also how often do you empty it?

Regards

Niels

Thanks.

I will look at that.

I empty them almost every everyday because my isp uses a proxy for it's cached web pages and it is not that reliable, On occasions I have changed a page on my own site but I can still get the old page for a couple of days sometimes.

Can scanning of temporary internet files be turned off? takes over 30 seconds some times.

I ditched McAfee because it got that bloated I decided to try this and this is the only downside I have found yet.

• Niels
    Options

Hi Jim

That's possible open BitDefender go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level, select the option don't scan this pad on all levels (= on all accounts). Press on add item and then browse to x:\windows\temp (change the x by the letter of your hard discc or partition where windows is installed on. So you can reduce the cpu usage of bdss.exe. So you can add the folders that you don't want to scan.

Regards

Niels

• alexcrist
    Options

@Niels:

In the Temp folder there are NO internet files stored. These files have a special Temporary folder. (see below)

@Jim:

Yes, it can be truned off by simply adding that path to the EXCLUDE PATH FROM SCAN.

But this is very unsafe, because if you happen to download a virus, then BD won't scan it when it reaches the cache of your browser. (HTTP scanner might help with this though).

To exclude the path from scan, do this:

Open BD Management Console -> Antivirus -> Custom level -> Exclude path from scan -> click on New Item

A dialog will appear where you have to search for the path where the temporary internet files are stored.

This is the path: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

- Replace C with the letter of your System Partition (where you have Windows installed)

- Replace <username> with the username you use to logon to Windows.

You have to repeat the above step (adding the temp folder to Excluded Paths) for every useraccount, cos every user uses a different folder.

Hope this helps,

Cris.

• python
    Options
    @Niels:

In the Temp folder there are NO internet files stored. These files have a special Temporary folder. (see below)

@Jim:

Yes, it can be truned off by simply adding that path to the EXCLUDE PATH FROM SCAN.

But this is very unsafe, because if you happen to download a virus, then BD won't scan it when it reaches the cache of your browser. (HTTP scanner might help with this though).

To exclude the path from scan, do this:

Open BD Management Console -> Antivirus -> Custom level -> Exclude path from scan -> click on New Item

A dialog will appear where you have to search for the path where the temporary internet files are stored.

This is the path: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

- Replace C with the letter of your System Partition (where you have Windows installed)

- Replace <username> with the username you use to logon to Windows.

You have to repeat the above step (adding the temp folder to Excluded Paths) for every useraccount, cos every user uses a different folder.

Hope this helps,

Cris.

thanks all, I will try that.

• Niels
    Options

Hi Cris

I have subfolder called temporary internet files in the folder temp which is located in the windows folder. But you are right I forgot the location of it. I thought that it was located in the windows folder but it's stored just as you said under documents and settings and user name.