LeechFTP connexion impossible

Sorry for my english (I'm french), but nobody on french forum.

I have set up BitDefender last week end.

I would like to update my web site with LeechFTP. The connexion is impossible with BitDefender. When I stop Bitdefender, the connexion is possible.

I have check the firewall parameter and Bitdefender accept LeechFTP for in and out connexion.

Can you help me ?

Thank you

Hamélou

Comments

• Hi hamelou

You can try this open BitDefender and set the slider on local setting. But that isn't very safe. Are you behind a router? If so then you must also open ports in your router to let leechftp upload files.

Regards

Niels

• Thanks

Yes I'm behind a routeur.

But I dont know how to do to "open ports".

Hamélou

• Hi hamelou,

Some applications use ports that are, by default, closed by BD Firewall.

However, you can set for LeechFTP a higher priority so that it will have access to all ports.

Do this:

1) Open BD Management Console, and go to the Firewall section and click on Traffic.

2) IF you made any rules for LeechFTP in the firewall, delete them.

3) Click on Add rule (or select something in the Traffic list and press Insert key on your keyboard).

4) In the Add rule window, set the following parameters:

• Select application: Path/Filename

• Program path: click Browse and search for LeechFTP's .exe file (which is used to access the internet)
    • Action: Allow
    • Network events: All
    • Direction: Both
    • Protocol: Any
    • Source and Destination Address: Any
    • Create persistent rule: Yes
    These parameters will allow any connection to and from anywhere. If Cool!Remote does not have somekind of protection (like password access or something like that), after you make it works you have to modify these settings to limit access only between your 3 computers (by IP address). But first you have to make it work with these settings. :)

5) Click Add. The Add rule window will dissapear, and the new rule will be addded at the end of the Traffic list

6) Click Edit Profile. A window with the caption Detailed view of current ruleset will appear

7) Scroll down to the end of the first list (Inbound rules), select the LeechFTP rule and move it to the top (click on the black arrow which points upwards)

8) Repeat the previous step for the Outbound rules, and click OK

This should be enough regarding LeechFTP.

In order to have access to FTP connections, BD Firewall will also ask you if you allow alg.exe to connect to the network. Give that application full access to internet, cos it's a System application which is needed for FTP connections. If you block this application, FTP connections won't be possible.

Hope to Help,

Cris.

P.S.: Try this solution before you make the changes Niels suggested. As he said, that is very dangerous and should be used ONLY as a last solution.

Please post if it worked or not.

• Hello Chris,

I have done what you say, but it doesn't work.

I never had this message : "BD Firewall will also ask you if you allow alg.exe to connect to the network".

What can I do ?

Thank you for your help

Hamélou

• First you have to go into the configuration of your router. Do this go to start,run,at the run dialog box type cmd press enter then type ipconfig /all Then enter the numbers that you will after standard gateway into your browser. Now you can change settings in your router. The options depends from router to router. Click on advanced settings and look after firewall. You can have more options but you can temporary disable it. Or if you have the possibility to open ports do that instead of disable the firewall completely. This site can help you how to open ports: http://www.portforward.com/

• Hello Chris,

You're the third person to misspell my name. It's Cris, not Chris. :P

I never had this message : "BD Firewall will also ask you if you allow alg.exe to connect to the network".

This means one of two things:

1. Either that application is already blocked by BitDefender Firewall. Try to look for it in the Traffic list. If you find it there, delete the rule. Then, when BD askws you about alg.exe allow it to access the internet.
    2. If you don't find it as a blocked application in the Firewall, then it means that LeechFTP uses a different way to connect to the FTP server.
    I don't have time today, but one of the next days I'll try LeechFTP, to see exactly how it works. When I find out how to configure BD, I'll tell you. ;)

Post if you find a way to make it work.