Recent Trojan Infection - What Do I Do?

I have Bitdefender 2009 on my Windows XP Pro machine and every thing was going smoothly until all of a sudden while I was surfing the net I had bitdefender popup comming up about unfamiliar files trying to access the internet. I of course said to block them. They all had weird names with numbers and 'Trojan' in them. I tried deleting them but it got worse.

Windows explorer started randomly loading up and going to strange sites and trying to download files that didn't exist. It was like someone else was controlling my pc. So then the popups got worse and the screen went black and became unresponsive. So I rebooted and my bios said Bad Overclock warning press f2 to reset - which I did. Then I rebooted into windows which wasn't a 100% - a little slow. So I did a system restore to two weeks ago and rebooted. Seems fine now but I got a system error on boot that I ignored. But everything seems to load fine except one program. Updated Bitdefender to the latest boot and doing a scan now. So far only 1 infected file and one unknown file detected.

But I was wondering what do I do now?

Thanks.

Comments

• I have Bitdefender 2009 on my Windows XP Pro machine and every thing was going smoothly until all of a sudden while I was surfing the net I had bitdefender popup comming up about unfamiliar files trying to access the internet. I of course said to block them. They all had weird names with numbers and 'Trojan' in them. I tried deleting them but it got worse.

Windows explorer started randomly loading up and going to strange sites and trying to download files that didn't exist. It was like someone else was controlling my pc. So then the popups got worse and the screen went black and became unresponsive. So I rebooted and my bios said Bad Overclock warning press f2 to reset - which I did. Then I rebooted into windows which wasn't a 100% - a little slow. So I did a system restore to two weeks ago and rebooted. Seems fine now but I got a system error on boot that I ignored. But everything seems to load fine except one program. Updated Bitdefender to the latest boot and doing a scan now. So far only 1 infected file and one unknown file detected.

But I was wondering what do I do now?

Thanks.

What I would do is unplug the modem from your pc so you have no Internet at all. Then delete all your restore points. uncheck all your startup items in MSCONFIG (except security related stuff) go to add/remove programs (or programs and features in Vista) and uninstall any programs that look suspicious. Run hijack this and analyze the log file it creates.

• What I would do is unplug the modem from your pc so you have no Internet at all. Then delete all your restore points. uncheck all your startup items in MSCONFIG (except security related stuff) go to add/remove programs (or programs and features in Vista) and uninstall any programs that look suspicious. Run hijack this and analyze the log file it creates.

Think its a good idea to run threatfire on top off bitdefender? Also how do you look at bitdefenders' logs?

thanks for the help.