Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Ts 2009 Multiple Problems

Options

I've used BD for a few years now and after the last upgrade to 2009 I've had nothing but trouble. These problems are not confined to any one machine either and consist of:

Services stopped working

Connectivity Issues (now known by support)

System scans and "Fix Issue" functionality not working

Repeated system crashes (up to five a day!!!), on Vista 64 OS

Scan Activity Bar keeps resetting its location at boot-up

System Tray Icon giving wrong information about Gaming Mode

Windows Event Viewer: "BDSelfPr service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified". This issue has been on your forum since 2007 without a proper solution!

Like so often the recommended solution from support is to "un-install and re-install the software", come on, after doing this so many times that is not a solution. I submitted all the sys dumps etc as requested by support and then all communications ceased. I have now tried to get this resolved for about two months and have given up. After un-installing your software all system crashes stopped instantly.

I have tried to get in contact with both the sales department and technical support without any luck, and the support system does not let you trace an existing support claim either. This has now gone way beyond repairs and I want a cancellation and full refund of my purchase since the product does not work in an advertised manner nor have I received the support that is promised with the product.

This is my last effort to get this reloved in a peaceful manner before filing a legal petition. Please contact me through the e-mail address connected to this account.

Regards,

Andreas.

Comments

• Niels
    Niels
    edited February 2009
    Options

Dear SquareGrain,

You can try this for you issue with the BitDefender security center not responding:

Install .net framework again.

First remove the previous versions with the tool mentioned here. After you ran that tool reboot your pc. Download and install the newest microsoft.net framework version.

What do you mean with connectivity issues? Do you mean slow loading webpages?

Unplug only the powercable of your router for 30 seconds. After that plug it back in. Open BitDefender switch to advanced view,antivirus,shield,press on custom level and uncheck scan http traffic press on ok. Download and run winsockfix. Run it and press on fix. After that I recommend that you clear your temporary internet files. See here for Internet Explorer 7 and here for Firefox. Press the windows button together with r now type this : cmd press enter. After that type ipconfig /flusdns press enter. Reboot your pc. Enable scan http traffic again.

Concerning the system crashes:

Did you verified in the events that BitDefender was the cause?

BDSelfPr service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified issue.

I examined this issue and came to the conclusion that the BitDefender Selfprotection driver wasn't included for 64 bit versions of operating systems . However the installer just creates these registry entries.

Please click on start,run,type regedit press enter. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,System,controlset001,enum,root,legacy_BDSELFPR and right click on it and delete it. That should prevent the error message occurring.

Scan Activity Bar keeps resetting its location at boot-up

You can't fix the location of the scan activity bar yet.

System Tray Icon giving wrong information about Gaming Mode

You can solve that by doing this open BitDefender switch to advanced view,game /laptop mode uncheck and check again automatic game mode is enabled.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hi Niels.

Honestly, after already spending hours and hours on getting your software to run without issues on my machines this list of things I need to do to get it working is not an option. No other software that I have ever bought or heard of has had such demands on modifying your current system to work. That is something that you should resolve on your end and not place as a demand on your customers.

I have not verified from Event Viewer that BD has been the cause for the system crashes, but I have uninstalled your software after these issues two times over and both times the system has gone back to running without any flaws instantly and done so for a prolonged period of time until I reinstalled BD and the problems started again. Is that a coincidence?

I do not accept this as a solution to the situation at hand, and frankly I'm only interested in getting my money back since this has ended up costing my company loads of money in lost work time. Had your support tried and resolve it immediately you might have still had a chance to save the situation, but this has gone on for over two months and my faith in this procuct and the way that I feel that I have been treated as a customer has made me give up on any other resolution than a cancellation and full refund of my purchase.

Regards,

Andreas.

• Niels
    Niels
    edited February 2009
    Options

Dear SquareGrain,

I am just a volunteer just like the other moderators. People that work for BitDefender have a different member status: technical support,virus researcher/analysist,super moderator,customer care. I offered some help.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Square Grain, I can empathize with your frustration. I too had used prior Bit Defenders successfully. Then I renewed for the '09 and things went kaput.

I would contact customer service, and repeatedly be told to erase and download again and again. I even tried this forum and when I heard the solutions offered - I reasoned that my PC was operating fine before - the only difference - DB09.

So I chalked it up to a lesson learned, money totally wasted, I now use a different AV, and my PC is operating as always.

It was a very frustrating couple of months though.

• Thx Debating, always good to know that there are others who share the experience. I can't understand the reasoning of running a company this way, I will never buy BD again and neither will anyone else asking my opinion.

However since they have not delivered a product according to product and support specs they are liable for breaching their part of the agreement and can be held accountable. I will file a legal complaint if this is not resolved and even if I don't get my money back there will at least be an inquiry and possibly BD will be flagged on the watchlist for companies with questionable business ethics.

Niels, if you can't help me, please put me in contact with someone who can. My patience is really coming to an end here.

/A

• Niels
    Niels
    edited March 2009
    Options

Dear SquareGrain,

Did you even tried my suggestions? I would like to have some feedback. Try updating your network card drivers for your connectivity issue. How can I help you further when you don't give feedback if it worked or not?

Kind regards,

Niels

• Dear SquareGrain,

Did you even tried my suggestions? I would like to have some feedback. Try updating your network card drivers for your connectivity issue. How can I help you further when you don't give feedback if it worked or not?

Kind regards,

Niels

I have already told you that I have spent too many hours on trying to "fix" your software and I'm not interested in trying the list of fixes you provided as this should not be required to get it running.

As for feedback, the system was installed on a clean drive, all drivers up to date and the system was no more than one day old when I first installed your software and immediately ran into trouble. There's nothing wrong with my drivers.

Wrong information about gaming mode: the tray icon displays as if in Game Mode but when I open BD and check it says Game Mode disabled, I should not have to go into settings and check/uncheck a parameter in order for this to work every time I play a game.

I always empty Internet Files upon closing the browser and the winsockfix is just silly that I should be asked to do when everything works fine without BD, like I've said these fixes should be included in the software and not be asked of the user.

Like I said before, everything works excellent without BD installed on the computer. Your software is the problem and I just want to get my money back please. I will NOT install BD on that system again, I've tried and failed twice already and it's pure luck that my RAID-set and all its data is still intact after all the crashes it caused.

What you are suggesting here is the equivalent of me buying a new TV and when the TV is not working you ask me to rewire all my electricity, open and close the menu every time I turn the TV on to get it working, unplug the DVD for 30 seconds then download a 3rd party sofware for it, run that, press buttons 1,5 and right arrow on the remote, delete all temp files on your DVD hard drive, then turn the TV off and then back on and it MIGHT work. Wow what a great TV I have purchased!

Just admit that this is not normal and refund the purchase now please.

/Andreas

• I have already told you that I have spent too many hours on trying to "fix" your software and I'm not interested in trying the list of fixes you provided as this should not be required to get it running.

[...]

Just admit that this is not normal and refund the purchase now please.

/Andreas

Andreas, first of all some clarifications from our end: BitDefender reps are those who are marked as Technical Support in the left-hand side panel. All other users that post are either volunteers trying to help or some other users that ran or are currently running into the same situation you are.

Usually, in order to open a support case you need to use this web form:

https://myaccount.bitdefender.com/site/MyAc...contactEmail/1/

However, in your case, due to the number of things you tried in order to resolve the situation you were dealing with we will issue you a refund. My colleagues will contact you ASAP today.

• Andreas, first of all some clarifications from our end: BitDefender reps are those who are marked as Technical Support in the left-hand side panel. All other users that post are either volunteers trying to help or some other users that ran or are currently running into the same situation you are.

Usually, in order to open a support case you need to use this web form:

https://myaccount.bitdefender.com/site/MyAc...contactEmail/1/

However, in your case, due to the number of things you tried in order to resolve the situation you were dealing with we will issue you a refund. My colleagues will contact you ASAP today.

Thank you.

Some clarifications from my end: Before turning to the forum I have opened about five support cases with both Technical Support and Customer Service without getting any replies. How that can happen is something you might want to look into from your end.

Regards,

Andreas.

• Thank you.

Some clarifications from my end: Before turning to the forum I have opened about five support cases with both Technical Support and Customer Service without getting any replies. How that can happen is something you might want to look into from your end.

Regards,

Andreas.

We will. Thank you.