Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd 8 Free - Why Is Bdss.exe Always Running?

Options

I installed BitDefender 8 Free because I wanted a lightweight, quality, on-demand AV scanner. I got most of that, but I cannot figure out why bdss.exe is constantly running in the background (and eating up 32MB of RAM) - even with all of BD's auto options disabled and the program closed. Is this a bug? How can I stop this behavior?

-Derwin

Comments

• bdss is the BitDefender Scan server. If you want to perform a scan (even a contextual-menu scan), this module must be loaded main memory. If the module wouldn't be loaded, you would get an error message, something like "Could not connect to the scan server." It is highly recommanded that you keep that file at startup.

Andrei

• derwin
    Options

Thanks for the response. Is there any need for this to be running all the time? I know I shouldn't kill it since I'll have to start it again if I want to scan, but why is it done this way in the first place?

-Derwin

bdss is the BitDefender Scan server. If you want to perform a scan (even a contextual-menu scan), this module must be loaded main memory. If the module wouldn't be loaded, you would get an error message, something like "Could not connect to the scan server." It is highly recommanded that you keep that file at startup.

Andrei

• If you kill that process, you won't be able to scan files anymore. It is indicated to keep it active all the time, since it doesn't consume too much RAM.

Andrei

• derwin
    Options
    If you kill that process, you won't be able to scan files anymore. It is indicated to keep it active all the time, since it doesn't consume too much RAM.

Andrei

I understand the consequences of killing it, I just wonder why an on-demand program would require a service running continually in the background.

Derwin