Activesync Not Working In Vista...

Options

My Windows Mobile device is not able to connect through the Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) and synchronize through ActiveSync. My device is running Windows Mobile 6.1. I've tried reinstalling WMDC to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? :wacko:

Comments

  • flandrei
    flandrei Bitdefender VPN Product Manager BD Staff
    Options

    Hi there,


    Did you try to configure the Firewall to allow connection? First thing to check is if the application is present in the Rules tab in Advanced View->Firewall. Make sure it is allowed. Then go to the Network tab and set it to Trusted Local. Set the Stealth Mode to Remote. If this does not work, I would like to know if disabling the entire Firewall or setting it to Game Mode helps.


    Thanks,


    Florin

  • Hi there,


    Did you try to configure the Firewall to allow connection? First thing to check is if the application is present in the Rules tab in Advanced View->Firewall. Make sure it is allowed. Then go to the Network tab and set it to Trusted Local. Set the Stealth Mode to Remote. If this does not work, I would like to know if disabling the entire Firewall or setting it to Game Mode helps.


    Thanks,


    Florin


    I get this issue every time I do a major upgrade like put SP1 or SP2 for Vista. I just installed SP2 and voila the problem happens again (now I'm a bit wiser but had to visit my old Tickets to BD support to remind myself). In addition (prior) to disabling the firewall and testing, the user has to go look at ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 (WMDC). I have a bluetooth setup, which is with a bluetooth adapter plugged into my laptop, not natively installed on board of laptop. Inside of WMDC, software updates by Microsoft reset the field setting of "ALLOW CONNECTIONS TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING" in the Connection Settings of WMDC. This is the COM PORT control for incoming connections for Activesync, which must be set right before the firewall can notice the type of connection properly. Major MS updates keeps setting my connection setting here, to BLUETOOTH, but that's not the correct port that I set up for the bluetooth server to listen in on, I am using COM7. post-28313-1256416532_thumb.jpgYou get a bunch of RAPIMGR errors in the event log, if you do not correct this and it looks like BD is the culprit 100%. It's only 50% the culprit. After I correct the port setting in Activesync, I have to disable the firewall, sync with Activesync, then reenable the firewall when sync is successful. If you don't do the settings the admin suggests, then disable/re-enable the firewall, it won't work until reboot. I'll not have any more problems until SP3 presumably.


    For the USB connection, your firewall will see connections from IP 169.254.2.2. That's your device, but if your own network settings are too locked down to allow this different IP, you'll also never sync. You must add this network to your profile in BD, if you have a problem with USB syncing, as well as have a rule for WMDC.EXE (Wcescomm.exe for XP) to be allowed on ANY ADAPTER using ANY PORT. This way you don't have to bother with rules for special ports. You can't fail after this. My BD setup is too restrictive but this works for me on XP and Vista.