Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Automatic Update

Options

Good morning,

I am a first time BD user (XP) and although I like the system there are two items I would like advice on please. I have searched the forum but not found a clear answer to my issues.

1. Should BD automatically update on initial opening of my PC? I can manually update and it silently updates from then on.

2. I noticed yesterday that the service had closed while applying an update. At the time I was on the net and I am not sure how long this message had been showing. Was I still protected or vulnerable?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Good morning,

I am a first time BD user (XP) and although I like the system there are two items I would like advice on please. I have searched the forum but not found a clear answer to my issues.

1. Should BD automatically update on initial opening of my PC? I can manually update and it silently updates from then on.

2. I noticed yesterday that the service had closed while applying an update. At the time I was on the net and I am not sure how long this message had been showing. Was I still protected or vulnerable?

Many thanks.

Hiya David

I recently purchased BD Antivirus 2009 after using BD for a couple of years and, no, mine did not update automatically when I installed it. After many years on the internet, any new programmes that I download, I always do a manual update first.

Whether you were vulnerable when you installed, it depends on how much time went by before the product was updated.

Hope this has helped somewhat.

:)

• cbeiu
    Options

Hello!

BitDefender does actually update at the first reboot after installation (during the Initial Setup Wizard).

To answer your second question, it is possible that during some major updates the main BitDefender processes are closed to allow installation of the new files. This is not considered a security risk as BitDefender will be fully reinitialized shortly after.

Automatic updates are defaulted to one per hour (but you can change that to whatever value you want or completely disable the Update module and manually update when you feel comfortable doing it).

• Thanks for the responses. Still a bit wary about the service being switched off during some updates. I don't know how long it had been off before I noticed but it was a good time before it came back on after I logged off. There should be a more obvious warning (pop up box??) of the switch off especially considering I could have been involved in internet banking etc.

• cbeiu
    Options

When the Security Service is disabled for more than a few seconds you will notice that the BitDefender System tray icon turns gray.

• Good evening,

Is it possible to set up Bitdefender so that it updates automatically at start-up ?

• cbeiu
    Options

@ap852:

If the Automatic Update is enabled BitDefender will perform the following updates:

• 5 minutes after the operating system is loaded: signature update;
    • 30 minutes: product update;
    • after one hour another update is performed (starting from here BitDefender will update every x hours, where x is whatever value you set - default is 1).

To fully answer your question: this is the default behavior and cannot be changed.