Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Random Lockups With Is 2009 Upgrade From Is 2008

Options

I have a Sony Vaio laptop about 6 months old. Recently my BD Internet Security 2008 expired and I went with 2009. Since then I get random lockups requiring a battery pull to restart. It happens at my office but not at home. At work I do have two network connections, one wireless and one wired. They are are different subnets, one being a 192.168 network and the wired a 10.0.0 network. The wired network is only to access a network printer. The only other difference is a usb mouse at work and a bluetooth at home.

I have turned off stealth on the wired network and set it as trusted.

If I turn off real time protection, I do not get the lockups.

Any suggestions? It is very frustrating.

It appears to be directly related to the wired connection. After unplugging the cable, no freezes. Plugged it back in to print, walked away for a minute and it was frozen when I returned. Maybe I should just go back to 2008 version.

Comments

• Please tell me:

- what operating system do you have on the computer presenting this issue?

- how did you uninstall V.2008 from the system?

- what other security solutions do you have on the same PC?

• Please tell me:

- what operating system do you have on the computer presenting this issue?

- how did you uninstall V.2008 from the system?

- what other security solutions do you have on the same PC?

Vista Ultimate

Uninstalled v2008 using uninstall tool.

No other security

• Please try this and tell me if it makes any difference: go to Start - Run - regedit [OK] and browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WS2IFSL - highlight WS2IFSL.

Now on the right you will have a key called Start - right click on it, select Modify and set it to "4" then OK. Restart the PC and tell me if you still experience the freezes with the wired connection plugged in.

If yes, please try to leave the real time protection on and set the Antivirus to "Permissive" in order to see if the freeze still occurs like this.

• Please try this and tell me if it makes any difference: go to Start - Run - regedit [OK] and browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WS2IFSL - highlight WS2IFSL.

Now on the right you will have a key called Start - right click on it, select Modify and set it to "4" then OK. Restart the PC and tell me if you still experience the freezes with the wired connection plugged in.

If yes, please try to leave the real time protection on and set the Antivirus to "Permissive" in order to see if the freeze still occurs like this.

Ok, I think I have it working now. I disabled Bdselfpr, not sure if it was related, but it was filling up my event viewer with errors. The registry modification you suggested had already been done. I flushed the DNS cache and unchecked the "register with DNS" box on the advanced settings of the wired connection. I have been up for about 7 hours now without a freeze and both wired and wireless connections are working as they were prior to the BD 2009 install.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. My past experience going through BD tech support has been awful. Had I not been a BD user for many years, I would have looked for another security solution. This forum is a bright light.

• Glad to hear that it's working :)

I have just one last question: do you have a 32 or a 64 bits OS on this system?

• Glad to hear that it's working :)

I have just one last question: do you have a 32 or a 64 bits OS on this system?

Vista Ultimate 32 bit OS

• Thank you bgbuffalo.

I will close this thread if everything is OK now.

This discussion has been closed.