Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Real-time File Protection Is Disabled

Options

"Fix this issue" does not solve the issue. What is happening? Is my pc exposed? What do I do now? Thanks! Erik

Bitdefender Internet Security 2009 - Build 12.0.11.5

Comments

• Have you tried restarting the PC when you received that notification? Sometimes BitDefender need to stop the services temporarily in order to install an update and it should be back on after the restart.

If it's still disabled after a restart please tell me the following:

- on what operating system are you running BitDefender?

- did you have this issue immediately after installing the software or after a certain time since installing?

- what other security software is installed on the system and what did you have before installing BitDefender?

• Have you tried restarting the PC when you received that notification? Sometimes BitDefender need to stop the services temporarily in order to install an update and it should be back on after the restart.

If it's still disabled after a restart please tell me the following:

- did you have this issue immediately after installing the software or after a certain time since installing?

- what other security software is installed on the system and what did you have before installing BitDefender?

Thank you for trying to help me out, much appreciated.

1) yes I did a restart, no change

2) Deep system scan did not reveal anything

3) OS: XP Home, 2002, SP3 - Intel Core2 CPU, 6600@2.40GHz, 2GB RAM

4) BD IS2009 has been installed about half a year ago; this issue is first time

5) other security s/w: windows defender, adaware free licence

6) prior to BD2009 I had BD2008

Question: should I reinstall BD from scratch?

• i have the same problem here -- in addition, the "FIX NOW" button has never worked for me.

I am running windows XP, bitdefender internet security 2009.

can someone please help me?

• @erikmgg

Unfortunately Windows Defender is incompatible with BitDefender because it has Antivirus and Antispyware protection - please disable it, then run a Repair for BitDefender.

@tclf

Please reply with the information I have requested erikmgg in my previous post.

• crc
    Options

I have this same problem on multiple machines:

Machine 1, "laptop":

- laptop running XP MCE

- the problem began a few days ago, presumably after a BD automatic update

- no other security software, running BD since 2006

Machine 2, "fileserver":

- PC running XP Pro

- no other security software, running BD since 2006

Machine 3, "work":

- PC running XP Pro

- no other security software, running BD since 2007

- this machine told me my license was expired this morning, though a reboot seems to have resolved that

BD disables itself overnight as posted in this thread, and to resolve the issue I am forced to reboot the machine, then click "Fix" on the warning for "real-time protection is disabled". I am not receiving any notice that BD needs the PC to be restarted following an update. Since this same issue is happening on multiple PCs, I'm inclined to think it's a BD issue, not a machine-specific or a compatibility issue.

Please advise.

• krimi
    Options

I have the same probem. Real time protection is off. Fix button doesn't fix anything :wacko:

- PC running XP Pro SP2

- using BD Internet Security 2009 (prior I had BD 10)

- the problem began a few days ago. At the begining I had no problems.

- no other security software

• If you try to enable the Antivirus module by going to Advanced View - Antivirus - check the checkbox "Real time protection is disabled" do you receive any error messages?

As you have observed, we have had a suite of updates this last week and some of them were for the core process in BitDefender called vsserv.exe - try to run an update a manual update for BitDefender, then restart the system and check in order to see if the module is still disabled.

• I have this same issue (on XP SP3 with BD IS 2009)

In advanced mode bit defended says "real time protection is unavailable"

In baby mode it shows such protection is selected but not on and that "fix it" red button does nothing.

I've tried to contact BD support but to no avail.

From searching for others with this issue it seems nobody is getting any help from BD.

Any suggestions? I've uninstalled and reinstalled BD.

Ignore it? Running any BD scan finds nothing wrong with the computer.

Switch to a different company?

The lack of any customer service response is discouraging.

• just a bump...does anyone have any suggestions? Please? BD customer service has not responded. What good is 500 days remaining on my license if one of the most important features does not work?? :wacko:

• BD is also showing "Real-time file protection is disabled" on my XP. Cannot reach BD support. Does anyone have an answer?

• @Professor Wagstaff and rojo06

I have created support tickets for both and sent you an e-mail with some diagnostic tools - please reply to it when you have the time attaching the reports.

• Is the problem solved? Because i'm having the same problem over here with mine.

1) I'm running on Vista SP1

2) I installed it last year and the problem only started jz now.

3) I had mcAfee before this

• Please advise, am having same issue.

I have tried repairs as well as other modifications and still does not fix the issue.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello Svridigaila,

We have created Ticket ID 200905221005029 in the support database and sent you some troubleshooting steps. Please follow them and reply to the e-mail with the reports.

Thank you!

• Diana, can i have the troubleshooting e-mail too? I'm having the same problem since last month. Thank you.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello derekyamato,

I just sent you the e-mail a couple of minutes ago - please check your Inbox when you have the time.

Thank you!

• feixar
    edited June 2009
    Options

Dear Diana,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Could you please e-mail me the same

troubleshooting document, or direct me to some other solution?

Your help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Koen De Bock

• Unknown
    Options

Hello feixar,

You should have the e-mail in a couple of minutes under Ticket ID 200906011005047 .

I edited your post and removed the e-mail address in order to protect your privacy, but you will receive the message on that e-mail address.

Thank you!

• Hello,

I 've been using Bitdefender 2009 for about 2,5 month now and I'm glad to say that I'm very satisfied with the software, it truly covers everything, and I'm especially happy with the possibilties to scan connected media like pen drives and other storage devices.

But since yesterday I have the same problem that is discribed in this topic, is there already a solution for this? If so, I would appreciate any information available.

It is possible that this occured after I updated it and restarted my computer, also I tried everything that is already discribed here without any results.

Jørundr Jørgensen.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello jorundr-jorgensen,

Please be so kind as to reply to the e-mail we have sent you on Ticket ID 200906031004714 .

Thank you!

• Diana, can i have the troubleshooting e-mail too? I'm having the same problem. I tried re-installing the application. It worked for a few days but then the same thing happened. Thank you.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello CoreFinder,

We sent you the e-mail with the troubleshooting steps - please reply to it when you have the time.

Thank you!

• kenshu
    Options

I'm having the same problem, please... can i have the troubleshooting e-mail too? thank you!

• Unknown
    Options

Hello kenshu,

Yes, absolutely - you will have them under Ticket ID 200906101003621 by e-mail.

Thanks!

• Hello Diana,

I have sent you the files you requested via email. But I have not yet received any more troubleshooting steps. Please help me. I'm attaching the files here as well.

CoreFinder.

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5233" data-fileid="5233" rel="">BDFileInfo.log

post-24771-1244631598_thumb.jpg

post-24771-1244631626_thumb.jpg

• Unknown
    Options

Hello CoreFinder,

We sent you a new reply a couple of hours ago on Ticket ID 200906091003805. If you do not receive it in the next hour please PM me and we will try to send it again.

Thank you!

• Hi

I am a 100% supporter of BitDefender, and currently using Total Security 2009.

Unfortunately I am now experiencing the problem discussed in this topic, and becoming increasingly annoyed.

I am using Vista SP 1 on my machine, and would appreciate assistance in resolving this matter.

Regards

Corneile Britz

• I was a BD subscriber for 2 years plus. I had this problem starting May 22 (Ticket ID:200905221003627). I ran and sent in two sets of diagnostic files, the last on May 29, and have still received no reply whatsoever. I concluded that BitDefender didn't want my business. Spyware Doctor with Antivirus restored my system's health.

I wonder if they even have a support department.

• Hello CoreFinder,

We sent you a new reply a couple of hours ago on Ticket ID 200906091003805. If you do not receive it in the next hour please PM me and we will try to send it again.

Thank you!

I'm also facing the same problem. I use Bitdefender antivirus 2009 and its real-time file protection is also disabled. Can you mail me the fix too?

• Alex Stanciu
    Options
    I'm also facing the same problem. I use Bitdefender antivirus 2009 and its real-time file protection is also disabled. Can you mail me the fix too?

Hello saadman1 ,

We have sent you an email with the procedure that you need to follow . Reply to my email if you have any other questions .

• Hi Alex

Can you send me the fix as well?

Regards

Corneile

• Alex Stanciu
    Options
    Hi Alex

Regards

Corneile

Hello CBritz ,

We have sent you the email . Follow the steps carefully and reply in case you need further assistance .

• czarbal
    Options

Hi Diana,

I am having the same issue with Vista (SP2) based Laptop. Please e-mail me the fix?

Ta.

PS: In fact why not make the fix available to all since we all seem to have the same issue?

****I THINK THIS IS DEFINATELY A BD ISSUE****

• Alex Stanciu
    Options
    Hi Diana,

I am having the same issue with Vista (SP2) based Laptop. Please e-mail me the fix?

Ta.

PS: In fact why not make the fix available to all since we all seem to have the same issue?

****I THINK THIS IS DEFINATELY A BD ISSUE****

Hello ChrisZ ,

We have sent you an email with the procedure that you need to follow . Usually this issue occurs because a BitDefender file becomes corrupt . The solution is to replace this file in Safe Mode . Unfortunately we are not able to post a workaround because we will need to upload this file which have an .xml extension . As you may know , the only files that can be uploaded on the BitDefender Forum are text and image files and that is why we prefer sending email to the customers that are encountering this issue .

If you have any other questions please reply to my email.

• Hi Alex/Dianna

Regards,

Mike

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Balloonknott ,

We have developed a patch that will solve this issue after you run it. Here is the link:http://www.bitdefender.com/KB568 to the BitDefender article were you will find this tool .

Thank you .

• Hello Balloonknott ,

We have developed a patch that will solve this issue after you run it. Here is the link:http://www.bitdefender.com/KB568 to the BitDefender article were you will find this tool .

Thank you .

Hello,

I have same problem with my Bitdefender total security 2008. Everything work fine except in Realtime protection the File scanning is disable. I checked in AV>Shield>Realtime Protection is enable. I tried to click on fix button, restart the system it did not work. It appears X in filezone. Net zone working OK. The patch above did not work either, as seems it only apply for 2009 product. This unit is running on Vista Preminum 32. My other computer does not have any problem when running XP Professional. Please Help.

Best Regards,

Long Nguyen

• I have the same problem. My real-time file protection is not checked and when I do, I get a critical warning asking me to fix it. I try but nothing. so I take off the check and it goes back to a clean ''green-protected'' screen as if everything is ok however my windows pop tell me my pc is not antivirus protected. I tried adding the patch and rebooting my pc but I still have the same problem. What should I do?

Thank you for your infos.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello lyssa,

In order to solve this issue, we recommend you upgrade for free to BitDefender 2010 following the instructions described here.

Thank you.

• the "fix" button does nothing to correct the error message "Real-time file protection is disabled" I have Bit Defender Internet Security 2009, Family Edition, I have the better part of a year to go. I have Windows XP. Is there a fix for this by now?

• Hello suzwilli,

In order to solve the issue you are dealing with we recommend you to upgrade for free to our latest version, BitDefender Internet Security 2010 and register it with your current license key.

Please access this link for detailed instructions for the upgrade.

Thank you.

• I have been using Bitdefender antivirus (not the total security versions) for more than 2 years now and as a tech, I've seen this many times on systems that were infected and cleaned. Generally this has happened because the system was infected and Bitdefender real-time protection and updating feature was disabled by the trojan/worm/virus(s).

Bitdefender still appeared to be running ie: the program loaded at startup, can be accessed, however, without real-time protection and updating, the program is not protecting you.

If you are sure your system is clean, I'd recommend simply this as it's worked for me countless times.

Uninstall bitdefender through the add/remove programs in control panel.

Reboot when asked.

Go to Program Files and delete the Bitdefender folder there.

Re-install Bitdefender by the cd or download - it will check for newer versions and will generally find one, so be prepared for a download.

During the installation, choose only to schedule a time to scan, and Update bitdefender, but decline (uncheck) run a quick system scan. (There were issues with this on the 2008 versions)

Bitdefender will update and ask to reboot.

Upon rebooting, update bitdefender once again and reboot if necessary.

Once you see there are no updates available, run a deep system scan to remove any remaining (left over) registry entries from the previous infection(s).

You should see your real-time is now working properly and it is obviously updating.

I would also recommend that in the real-time protection options (antivirus/custom level) that you check "Scan http traffic". This scans files and webpages as they are loaded and offers better protection from malicious websites as it's quarantined as you are receiving it. You will see a slight loss of internet speed as a result, but if you are prone to viruses, it's highly recommended as it is not enabled by default when you install.

As well, for Bitdefender 2008 and Windows XP users, it will create numerous temp files in your local settings/temp folder which can add up but can be safely deleted regularly.