Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Live Messenger Keeps Crashing Since I Installed Bd 2009

Options

Hi,

I recently upgraded from BitDefender v10 to BD Internet Security 2009 and this is such a disappointment

1/ I can't shut down BitDefender when I want as I could do with the previous version. Not only does this put BitDefender in the list of intrusive applications it is precisely supposed to fight, but it also prevents me from figuring out if BD is the cause of other problems I run into (since I can't turn it off !)

I know I can disable the antivirus protection, firewall and all the stuff but what I want to do is close BD completely as I would sensibly be allowed to do with any other software. This is not possible, the BD process can't be killed and the BD service has its "stop" option grayed out.

Besides that, the "load BD at Windows startup" option doesn't work ! I unchecked it and BD still showed up when I rebooted.

2/ Since BD Internet Security 2009 has been running on my system, Windows Live Messenger keeps crashing every time just after I log on. This keeps happening even with real time protection off, firewall off, MSN encryption off, privacy control off, everything off.

Please tell me that you're going to do something about this because as far as I'm concerned, BitDefender has joined the bunch of crappy software that restrict my control over what happens on my computer rather than giving it to me.

Btw : Windows XP SP 3, BD Internet Security v. 12.0.11.5, Windows Live Messenger 14.0.8064.206

Comments

• Any news on this? My msn messenger takes a good minute to be usable after logging in. The problem seems to be related to bitdefender scanning the incoming ads on messenger.

• if you have problem with MSN you can disable MSN protaction ( IM )

• if you have problem with MSN you can disable MSN protaction ( IM )

Tried that but it does not work. MSN still freezes for about 30 seconds after loading or after logging into a different msn user account.

• Ive been having this problem since I installed BD2009 way beck in December. The only work around I have worked out is to shut down BD totally, which defeats the point really!

Click start button

Run

Type 'cmd' (without the ')

Ok

Opens up MSDOS window

Type the following command then press enter/return after each one

cd\

cd program files

cd bitdefender

cd bitdefender 2009 (this can be duplicated from the above line by pressing the right arrow key)

bdagent /stop (note there is a space at end of bdagent)

Start you MSN live video and it will connect without the delay

bdagent /start (this starts BD)

exit

Come on BD please sort this problem its been there from the start of 2009 and was noted in your previous forum.

• Tried that but it does not work. MSN still freezes for about 30 seconds after loading or after logging into a different msn user account.

I was thinking of buying BD09 but I havent bcse i HATE THE WAY it incorporates itself in MSN with the logo showing in MSN and other chatting tools. There is no point in putting a LOGO of BD in Live Messenger***** and modify the chatting tool.

Please provide an option to fully disable BD to integrate itself in MSN or im not buying ur SW!

Thx

• I am evaluating Bitdefender for myself and some of my clients. However the delay in fixing this compatibility problem with a major software like msn messenger has me very concerned. I know bitdefender is a top anti-virus software and I've used it a lot to clean up some pc's. But I can't see myself paying for it when it slows down my msn. I use my msn a lot and this is very very annoying.

• In order to correctly troubleshoot this issue please tell me the following:

- what version of MSN do you use,

- name and built for your BitDefender,

- on what OS are you running these applications(and its number of bits),

- what other security solutions are running on the system,

- if possible, a screenshot with the error message/ the way that MSN freezes when you have BitDefender installed.

• In order to correctly troubleshoot this issue please tell me the following:

- what version of MSN do you use,

- name and built for your BitDefender,

- on what OS are you running these applications(and its number of bits),

- what other security solutions are running on the system,

- if possible, a screenshot with the error message/ the way that MSN freezes when you have BitDefender installed.

MSN Version: 2009 (Build 14.0.8064.206)

Bitdefender Version: 2009 (12.0.12)

Not running any other security softwares

Upon loading MSN, you can't do anything for about 15-20 seconds and you just see an hourglass, in msn only.

As posted previously, I suspected the problem was related to BD scanning the incoming ads in msn. I have found a way to workaround the problem temporarily by following a procedure to remove the ads in msn. This method works to remove ads but only temporarily. Yet it is enough not to cause msn to pause when loading. All of the following information is taken from a website listing a simple procedure to remove ads in msn.

I still hope BD will find and resolve this issue soon. I hope my information leads to a solution.

Link: http://www.imessengr.com/2008/05/how-to-ma...on-windows.html

There are many plugins and patchs which allows you remove ads from Windows Live Messenger completely. If you don't want to install any of these plugins there is an easy way to block all ads served on WLM.

Follow these steps :

1. Click Start button on Windows

2. Go to Control Panel –> Internet Options

3. Click on the security tab and click on ’Sites’ under restricted sites.

4. Add the url “rad.msn.com” and those ads will never be shown again.

rad.msn.com is msn's ad server. Blocking access to this site will block all ads from the msn websites and most of the other sites that they own.

Please note that this method don't remove ads completely. You'll see a white blank space instead of ads. Sometimes it is a video, but you can block that using the same method.

• Glad to see you managed to solve your problem on your own topspin. As for me I had to install a previous version of Live Messenger (2008) and it works fine.

Seems there's still work to do to make BD 2009 compatible with the latest versions of some mainstream software...