Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Automatic Scanning?

Options

I have three questions regarding this:

1. If I have backup files on CDs and I want to move them onto my hard drive, does BD automatically scan them or do I have to manually ask it to scan them?

2. If I click on a folder with subfolders in it, and ask BD to scan it, will it scan all the files within that folder? If yes, will it also scan any subfolders (and their contents)?

3. If I load a video clip that's on YouTube to view it while on the YouTube site, does BD scan it before I can view it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi Carol,

BitDefender will scan all files before you access them. (of course, depending on what settings you enabled in Scanning Options)

1. If I have backup files on CDs and I want to move them onto my hard drive, does BD automatically scan them or do I have to manually ask it to scan them?

Yes. When you insert the CD, BitDefender will scan the boot-sector of that Disc and the auto-start files (if any).

Also, BD scannes all files when you view them in Explorer (or whatever File Manager you use). A third scan takes place when you actually copy the files and, of course, a fourth scan takes place when you actually open the files. So I'd say you're safe ;)

2. If I click on a folder with subfolders in it, and ask BD to scan it, will it scan all the files within that folder? If yes, will it also scan any subfolders (and their contents)?

BD will scan the root and all subfolders of that folder.

About the files... it depends what files BD scans on what settings you've enabled in Context Menu Scan settings. By default, BD scans all files and packed/archived files.

To check these settings, open BD Management Console, go to Antivirus -> Scanning and look for Context Menu Scan (it should be last in the Task List). Right click on it, select Properties, click Custom and check the settings you want. Also, you can change from there the actions that BD takes when it finds infected/suspected files.

3. If I load a video clip that's on YouTube to view it while on the YouTube site, does BD scan it before I can view it?

If you have HTTP Scan enabled in Realtime protection settings, then the clip is scanned even before it is downloaded in your PC. Otherwise, the clip is downloaded and then, when your browser tries to open it (so you can view it), BD comes in and scannes the file for viruses. Either way, you are safe (but I recommend keeping HTTP Scan enabled, because it's safer).

Thanks in advance!

You're welcome :)

Cris.

• C-1000
    Options
    Hi Carol,

BitDefender will scan all files before you access them. (of course, depending on what settings you enabled in Scanning Options)

Yes. When you insert the CD, BitDefender will scan the boot-sector of that Disc and the auto-start files (if any).

Also, BD scannes all files when you view them in Explorer (or whatever File Manager you use). A third scan takes place when you actually copy the files and, of course, a fourth scan takes place when you actually open the files. So I'd say you're safe ;)

BD will scan the root and all subfolders of that folder.

About the files... it depends what files BD scans on what settings you've enabled in Context Menu Scan settings. By default, BD scans all files and packed/archived files.

To check these settings, open BD Management Console, go to Antivirus -> Scanning and look for Context Menu Scan (it should be last in the Task List). Right click on it, select Properties, click Custom and check the settings you want. Also, you can change from there the actions that BD takes when it finds infected/suspected files.

If you have HTTP Scan enabled in Realtime protection settings, then the clip is scanned even before it is downloaded in your PC. Otherwise, the clip is downloaded and then, when your browser tries to open it (so you can view it), BD comes in and scannes the file for viruses. Either way, you are safe (but I recommend keeping HTTP Scan enabled, because it's safer).

You're welcome :)

Cris.

Hi Cris--

I have left all the default settings "as is". I would, however, like to doublecheck to make sure HTTP Scan is enabled. I've been all over that Console and can't find where that box is. Is it called something else on the console??

Thanks.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Hi Cris--

I have left all the default settings "as is". I would, however, like to doublecheck to make sure HTTP Scan is enabled. I've been all over that Console and can't find where that box is. Is it called something else on the console??

Thanks.

Open BD Management Console, go to Antivirus and press Custom level. There, the option should be just before the last one (it's called Scan HTTP traffic).

Cris.

• C-1000
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Open BD Management Console, go to Antivirus and press Custom level. There, the option should be just before the last one (it's called Scan HTTP traffic).

Cris.

Man, I must be really missing something. I cannot find anything that refers to Realtime or to HTTP. I've highlighted every category in Antivirus, including Contextual, and I am just not finding it.

Here's what I'm doing, step by step.

Open Console.

Click on Antivirus on the left.

Right-Click on Contextual Menu Scan and select Properties

Click on Custom.

I do not find anything in there about HTTP or Realtime.

UPDATE TO THIS POST: I found it. It is not under SCAN tab, it is under SHIELD tab. Arrrrrrrrgh!! LOL. Sorry, I must have missed that somewhere. :rolleyes:

Scan HTTP traffic was NOT checked. I'm really glad you thought of mentioning that.