Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Intermittent Connection With Is10

Options

I have a home network with three PCs (one's a laptop). One is new--I just built it and am getting it set up. I have IS10 on the two desktops, including the new one. I am experiencing intermittent connectivity between the new PC and the other desktop. They can see each other and exchange files OK for a while, then the Windows Explorer file browser's right-hand pane resets and blanks out. When I try to refresh the view I get an error message that the computer cannot be found. After a while I can connect normally again, but the connection disappears again before long. And so on. When I disable the firewall, the connections is restored immediately. I'm running XP Pro on both desktops. Any help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi pc2services,

When you configured BD Firewall, did you select Trusted LAN? If you selected another option, some ports may have been blocked by BD and the connection will be lost.

Cris.

• Hi pc2services,

When you configured BD Firewall, did you select Trusted LAN? If you selected another option, some ports may have been blocked by BD and the connection will be lost.

Cris.

The Trusted LAN type was selected during setup.

• I should add that the new machine displays this message periodically: "A port scanning attempt from 192.168.0.5 was blocked." So the BD firewall is treating my other PC as if it were an intruder. Might this be a clue as to the problem?

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi pc2services,

Yes, it is a clue. Once BD has detected a PortScanning, it will temporarily block that IP from accessing anything in your PC. This might be a bug in how BD detects PortScanning attempts and I reported it a while ago.

You can go to Firewall -> Advanced and uncheck Stealth Mode. With this option off, BD will not detect PortScanning attempts.

Please post if this solved your problem.

Cris.

• Hi pc2services,

Yes, it is a clue. Once BD has detected a PortScanning, it will temporarily block that IP from accessing anything in your PC. This might be a bug in how BD detects PortScanning attempts and I reported it a while ago.

You can go to Firewall -> Advanced and uncheck Stealth Mode. With this option off, BD will not detect PortScanning attempts.

Please post if this solved your problem.

Cris.

I imagine that would work, except that I then don't have stealth protection while connected to the Internet, so I think I'd like to avoid that. My LAN router is connected to a DSL modem, which is usually on, so I'm usually connected to the Internet. (If I didn't have the LAN connected to the Internet, I'd have no problem 'cause I wouldn't need a firewall.... ;]) I have no problem connecting to the laptop, which is running BD IS 9, and I had no connection problem with my old PC that the new one is replacing. It seems to me that there should be a way to configure the LAN correctly without having to resort to disabling stealth mode. I guess either the new PC or the old PC or both could have some config error. This is the first time I've seen a post scanning alert that listed a source IP address on my own LAN.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi pc2services,

I understand your problem. But this seems to be a bug/error in the way BD detects PortScanning. This problem will also appear if you are running a FTP server on your PC. I have a FTP server and, in order to be able to use it, I had to disable Stealth Mode.

I reported this problem to the BD Team. I hope BD v11 won't have this issue anymore, but right now, this seems to be the only solution.

Remember, this is only a temporary solution, until this issue is fixed.

Cris.

• Hi pc2services,

I understand your problem. But this seems to be a bug/error in the way BD detects PortScanning. This problem will also appear if you are running a FTP server on your PC. I have a FTP server and, in order to be able to use it, I had to disable Stealth Mode.

I reported this problem to the BD Team. I hope BD v11 won't have this issue anymore, but right now, this seems to be the only solution.

Remember, this is only a temporary solution, until this issue is fixed.

Cris.

I see. How disappointing. I appreciate your help and information.