Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Numerous Problems With Bitdefender Free Edition V.10

Options

I've been having several problems with Bitdefender Free Version 10 lately. These include the malfunctions of sockspy.dll and bdss.(When trying to perform a scanning task, the computer will shut itself down, and a bluescreen will appear for a few seconds.) The virus shield is also having problems.(No matter how many times I click retry, the problem keeps occuring, so I click cancel.) After trying numerous times to repair the issues, both by the installer and using other scan services, I gave up. I have no idea what to do. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be of great help. I have actually tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Bitdefender, but that did not work either. Even system restore doesn't help. I'm at a loss.

Thank you,

Dylan222

Comments

• Camo
    Options

I also feel that I should post the amount of errors that I have received.

Upon scanning using the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner, (after the numerous repairs/uninstalls/reinstalls) there are a total of 128 errors caused by bitdefender. (Most of these are actually the same error, but continuously occured, resulting in a high number of errors found by the Safety Scanner. However, these problems were not caused by viruses, the virus and spyware scan showed nothing.)

P.S. I also would like to mention something else, if it would help you determine the correct solution for these issues. My homepage for some reason switched from Yahoo to Yahoo Mobile without my consent, not very long before the errors. (Give or take a week.) However, the scanner did not detect any security problems either, which is the reason I am stumped.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you, once again,

Dylan222.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hello Dylan222,

Please post exactly what errors were caused by BitDefender.

Also, try to disable automatic-reboots, like this:

- right-click on My Computer, and choose Properties

- go to Advanced -> Startup and recovery (Settings)

- uncheck the option Automatically restart (under System failure).

- click OK to close all windows

When the blue screen appears again, please note the error code (written in upper case letters, at the top of the screen) and the STOP code and filenames which might have caused it, written somewhere at the bottom of the screen. Please post this information here.

Also, please give some details about what problems you encounter with sockspy and bdss.

Cris.

• Camo
    Options
    Hello Dylan222,

Please post exactly what errors were caused by BitDefender.

Also, try to disable automatic-reboots, like this:

- right-click on My Computer, and choose Properties

- go to Advanced -> Startup and recovery (Settings)

- uncheck the option Automatically restart (under System failure).

- click OK to close all windows

When the blue screen appears again, please note the error code (written in upper case letters, at the top of the screen) and the STOP code and filenames which might have caused it, written somewhere at the bottom of the screen. Please post this information here.

Also, please give some details about what problems you encounter with sockspy and bdss.

Cris.

Thank you for the advice, however, I have not tried it yet because of some new things I have found. I was about to try to run a rootkit scan, which is the scan that caused the bluescreen, but upon right clicking the bitdefender icon, I now only have scan My Documents.

Also, I tried using the shortcut to access bitdefender. It worked, but the resulting page looked strange, did not load completely, and some things looked misplaced. These are new problems that just occured this morning. And the only thing wrong with sockspy is that bitdefender ceased updating services, and caused a bluescreen. (Note that the bluescreen only happened once, and after the repair sockspy seems to be working better. However, this is linked to the bdss problems, since once I update after repairing, a window appears saying bdss encountered a problem and needed to quit. After running scans afterwards, the result is a bluescreen. [Not yet attempted with scan my documents.])

P.S. I would upload what the bitdefender screen looked like, but the only way I could've showed you (As far as I know) was by a camstudio recording, which would be a .avi file.

P.S. About the bluescreen; when I send an error report to microsoft, it says that the error was caused by a system file or driver, and says that "In this case, we were unable to find the file or driver specified."

Thanks,

Dylan222

• Camo
    Options

I feel that I should also state the fact that I do use Windows Defender as a backup antivirus/antispy, however, I do not believe that any of my antiviruses are causing problems with bitdefender.

There are several things that lead me to believe this:

1. I've had Windows Defender since the day I got Bitdefender, any repairs I have done until the most recent ones have been fully successful.

2. These problems did not occur after scanning, etc. with Windows Defender OR Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner. (No, the safety scanner is not the full suite, so there are no new firewalls disabling bitdefender either.)

3. Running these programs actually seem to help the performance of my computer and the safety scanner claims to have fixed errors that have occured with Bitdefender. (However, this last claim made by the software has been proven false. [is it possible that upon allowing the safety scanner to fix registry errors that I have also caused further problems in Bitdefender?])

(Above topic in parenthesis is the only thing that I can think of that may have interfered with BitDefender.)

4. The virus shield has failed to initialize, therefore, I believe that BitDefender may have been infected.

P.S. I am currently running a Windows Defender scan in order to check BitDefender for known viruses. I will reply to this post with an update after the scan is finished and post the results.

Sincerely,

Dylan222.

• Camo
    edited May 2009
    Options

I've finished the scan and it did not report that any viruses were found.

I then checked with software explorer to make sure that all BitDefender files were up and running.

The only running files were:

Start-up:

1. bdmcon.exe

2. bdagent.exe

Currently running:

1.xcommsvr.exe (BitDefender Communication Server)

2.bdmcon.exe (BitDefender Master Control)

3.bdagent.exe (BitDefender Agent)

4.livesrv.exe (Update Service)

Network Connected Programs:

None.

Winsock Service Providers:

None.

As you can see; bdss.exe and sockspy.dll (However, the sockspy.dll file is still found in several files on my computer. [Most being text files.]) are not currently running.

Sincerely,

Dylan222.