Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows Security Alert On Bdis 2009

Options

I have BitDefender Internet Security 2009 on Vista Home Premium OS.

Two days ago I installed the Vista SP1 and that went without a hitch and I had no problems of any kind. Then yesterday I installed Kodak EasyShare software and was having some glitches which I presumed to be related to this software. One was that today when I started my computer the Windows Security Center showed a problem with Antispyware, even tho BDIS reported "No issue affects your computer."

I uninstalled EasyShare, rebooted and the same alert came up. I then used System Restore to restore my computer to the time before EasyShare was installed. After reboot I'm still getting the alert but it has changed. Now it's saying that BitDefender antivirus definitions may be out of date. I clicked to update but am advised there is no update available.

I know that I can turn off these alerts, but I don't want to do that. Something caused this and I'd like to find out what it is and fix it. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Two days ago I installed the Vista SP1 and that went without a hitch and I had no problems of any kind. Then yesterday I installed Kodak EasyShare software and was having some glitches which I presumed to be related to this software. One was that today when I started my computer the Windows Security Center showed a problem with Antispyware, even tho BDIS reported "No issue affects your computer."

I uninstalled EasyShare, rebooted and the same alert came up. I then used System Restore to restore my computer to the time before EasyShare was installed. After reboot I'm still getting the alert but it has changed. Now it's saying that BitDefender antivirus definitions may be out of date. I clicked to update but am advised there is no update available.

I know that I can turn off these alerts, but I don't want to do that. Something caused this and I'd like to find out what it is and fix it. Can anyone help me?

Hello Nikilet ,

In order to find out if this is a communication issue between Windows and BitDefender , please open our program , go to Advanced View and then click on Update . Here please tell us what is the Engine Version and the Virus Signatures . Also click on Update now and look if BitDefender manages to download its updates .

We are waiting for your response.

Thank you .

• Nikilet
    edited June 2009
    Options

Engine version is 7.26242

Virus signatures 3747751

I clicked on Update Now and it did in fact download and install an update and that Windows Security Alert disappeared. Now the Virus signatures read 3748863. Funny thing is, I had already done this several times over a period of probably 1-1/2 hours when it ran and said no update was available and the Windows Security Alert remained in place. Apparently the problem lies with BitDefender telling me there was no update available when there was. Why is this happening?

• Alex Stanciu
    Options
    Engine version is 7.26242

Virus signatures 3747751

I clicked on Update Now and it did in fact download and install an update and that Windows Security Alert disappeared. Now the Virus signatures read 3748863. Funny thing is, I had already done this several times over a period of probably 1-1/2 hours when it ran and said no update was available and the Windows Security Alert remained in place. Apparently the problem lies with BitDefender telling me there was no update available when there was. Why is this happening?

Hello Nikilet ,

BitDefender have a particular file that that communicates with Windows Security Center telling your system if you have the latest updates , or if your systems is protected by BitDefender. Most probably , at that moment there was a communication issue between Windows and that file. We cannot tell you for sure what caused it, but in case Windows will display the same message again , keep us posted and we will escalate this issue and send you an email for further investigation .

Thank you .

• Nikilet
    Options
    Hello Nikilet ,

BitDefender have a particular file that that communicates with Windows Security Center telling your system if you have the latest updates , or if your systems is protected by BitDefender. Most probably , at that moment there was a communication issue between Windows and that file. We cannot tell you for sure what caused it, but in case Windows will display the same message again , keep us posted and we will escalate this issue and send you an email for further investigation .

Thank you .

OK - thank you.

• Nikilet
    Options
    OK - thank you.

You said to get back to you if the security alert came up again. It has. This time it's back to saying there is a problem with my antispyware. It reports that Windows Defender and Spyware Doctor are both turned off. They should be. BDIS 2009 is supposed to contain antispyware protection so what is causing this alert? Is the BDIS protection working, is it not communicating with my security center?

• Nikilet
    Options

Vista Home Premium with SP1 and SP2/BitDefender Internet Security 2009

I had this problem about a week ago with the Windows Security Alert. It started out with showing that my anti spyware was turned off. That went away and the next time I booted the anti spyware was ok but it was showing the anti virus out of date. I wrote to the forum and finally got that fixed. Now yesterday when I booted it was showing anti spyware turned off again.

How can I be sure that BD's anti spyware module is working. BitDefender shows "No issues affect your computer." But, why am I getting these security alerts all of a sudden?

• Nikilet

plz install 'HijackThis', run a scan and copy/paste the log in your next reply.

Regards

Raziel

• Alex Stanciu
    Options
    Vista Home Premium with SP1 and SP2/BitDefender Internet Security 2009

I had this problem about a week ago with the Windows Security Alert. It started out with showing that my anti spyware was turned off. That went away and the next time I booted the anti spyware was ok but it was showing the anti virus out of date. I wrote to the forum and finally got that fixed. Now yesterday when I booted it was showing anti spyware turned off again.

How can I be sure that BD's anti spyware module is working. BitDefender shows "No issues affect your computer." But, why am I getting these security alerts all of a sudden?

Hello Nikilet ,

Because we need to further investigate this situation , we have created you an support ticket in our database :200907061005938 . It will be very helpful for us , if you can send us the reports that we have asked you in the email .

Thank you .

• Nikilet
    Options
    Nikilet

plz install 'HijackThis', run a scan and copy/paste the log in your next reply.

Regards

Raziel

Raziel: I am attaching my HiJackThis log file. Please advise.

Thank you

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5326" data-fileid="5326" rel="">hijackthis.log

• I have the same problem.

And I also keep getting prompts from Windows warning me that my firewall is turned off.

Here is a screen capture of the warning box I get from Windows Security Centre

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/eba...ff/security.jpg

• swmii
    Options

I just started getting this issue this morning. I tried re-booting, but get the same thing over again. My Windows Security Centre

looks the same as grainger's.

• sneezy
    Options

2 days ago my 2008 BitDefender GameSafe started showing the same Windows Security Center error that Grainger's shows.

I figured it was some temporary mixup/update on either windows or bitdefenders part and ignored it.

Today I had some free time, and knowing that my Bitdefender was about to expire (4days), I went ahead and upgraded to BitDefender Internet Security 2009 hoping that would fix the problem. It didn't.

Still fiddling, I turned Vista's firewall and and Window's Defender on and rebooted, hoping that Bitdefender would turn Vista's off (I guess it only does it on install?) and that would update their communication, but that didn't work either.

Attaching what it looks like now

post-25498-1247587310_thumb.jpg

• sneezy
    Options

so right after I posted that, there was a new Windows (vista) update to service pack 2 (KB948465). After updating, it appears it and Bitdefender are talking again and the error went away.

• Nikilet
    Options
    I have the same problem.

And I also keep getting prompts from Windows warning me that my firewall is turned off.

Here is a screen capture of the warning box I get from Windows Security Centre

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/eba...ff/security.jpg

I don't know if this will help any of the rest of you, but this is what worked for me on Vista Home Premium with SP1 and SP2:

1. Go to Control Panel and select Administrative Tools. (I changed my control panel to classic view so I could go right to this.)

2. Click on Services; scroll through and right click on Security Center and click to stop -- then scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), right click on that and click to stop.

3. Go to C/Windows/System32/wbem and scroll way towards the bottom and delete the folder labeled "Repository."

4. Reboot your computer. After rebooting your Security Center and WMI will restart themselves.

I finally heard back from BitDefender tech support on this and this is what they advised for my situation. After doing this and rebooting my security warning was gone and on checking the Security Center everything is as it should be.

• I am a computer klutz...

I did step 1 and 2 okay but I couldn't find a file called

C/Windows/System32/wbem

I even typed it in the start menu search bar and didn't get any hits

• I downloaded Sevice Pack 2 and now everything is okay.

Thank You :rolleyes:

• [THE SAME PROBLEM APPEARED TO ME 10 DAYS AGO, EVEN IF I HAD ALREADY INSTALLED VISTA's SP2, AS SOON AS IT WAS AVAILABLE (AT THE BEGINNING OF JULY)!

WHY NOT DECLARING THE PROBLEM IS STILL UNSOLVED?

2 DAYS AGO BITDEFENDER CUSTOMER SUPPORT ADMITTED IN THIS COMMUNICATION

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB567-en--BitDef...ity-Center.html

THEY STILL DON'T HAVE A CLUE ON HOW TO SOLVE THE OBSOLESCENCE OF BDIS'09 AND ALL THE RELATED PROBLEMS,

[/color]SINCE THEY DECLARE THAT (quote)"2009 version of BitDefender was not yet updated to use the same communication mechanism with the Security Center" ON VISTA SP1 !!!!

SHOULD I PAY TO UPDATE MY BITDEFENDER NEXT MONTH FOR ANOTHER COUPLE OF YEARS EVEN IF THEY ADMIT THEY STILL AREN'T VISTA (SP1...!!!) COMPATIBLE?

SHOULDN'T THEY RELEASE AN OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION IN SEVERAL LANGUAGES (ITALIAN,TOO, PLEASE!), OR AT LEAST EMAIL A WARNING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS??

LET'S ASK THE CUSTOMER SUPPORT, NOW...

• [THE SAME PROBLEM APPEARED TO ME 10 DAYS AGO, EVEN IF I HAD ALREADY INSTALLED VISTA's SP2, AS SOON AS IT WAS AVAILABLE (AT THE BEGINNING OF JULY)!

WHY NOT DECLARING THE PROBLEM IS STILL UNSOLVED?

2 DAYS AGO BITDEFENDER CUSTOMER SUPPORT ADMITTED IN THIS COMMUNICATION

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB567-en--BitDef...ity-Center.html

THEY STILL DON'T HAVE A CLUE ON HOW TO SOLVE THE OBSOLESCENCE OF BDIS'09 AND ALL THE RELATED PROBLEMS,

[/color]SINCE THEY DECLARE THAT (quote)"2009 version of BitDefender was not yet updated to use the same communication mechanism with the Security Center" ON VISTA SP1 !!!!

SHOULD I PAY TO UPDATE MY BITDEFENDER NEXT MONTH FOR ANOTHER COUPLE OF YEARS EVEN IF THEY ADMIT THEY STILL AREN'T VISTA (SP1...!!!) COMPATIBLE?

SHOULDN'T THEY RELEASE AN OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION IN SEVERAL LANGUAGES (ITALIAN,TOO, PLEASE!), OR AT LEAST EMAIL A WARNING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS??

LET'S ASK THE CUSTOMER SUPPORT, NOW...

Just a few comments ... I find it disappointing that in all my back and forth emails with tech support on this issue (with l-o-n-g waits in between), they never advised me of this. I had decided my problem actually lay with Spyware Doctor because after performing the steps I outlined earlier above, the only time that alert would come back was when I turned Spyware Doctor on. Of course, Spyware Doctor may be having the same problem with the security center after I installed SP1 & 2 that BDIS 2009 is having. In any event, I uninstalled Spyware Doctor (which I just renewed in April) and am presently using SUPERAntispyware and no more problems for me.

If it were not for the fact that BDIS 2009 seems to be working so smoothly on my system I would not have it because the tech support is absolutely awful. I have never worked with tech support so terrible. It is almost unbelieveable that a company would put out a product such as this and then have this kind of tech support to go along with it. It's poor at best, and truthfully almost non-existent. If I ever start having major problems with it, tech support will either get on the ball and help me or it will go. I already have another security program picked out should that happen.

By the way, I wonder what happened to the poster who asked me to include a HiJack This log. I did so and have never heard back.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Nikilet and gpanebianco ,

The BitDefender article related to this issue :http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB567 , was created with the intention to inform our users about this situation and its main purpose is to explain that , this communication issue will be solved and that their computers are in no danger . We are currently working on a fix and an update that will solve this issue will be released shortly .

Thank you .

• Hello Nikilet and gpanebianco ,

The BitDefender article related to this issue :http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB567 , was created with the intention to inform our users about this situation and its main purpose is to explain that , this communication issue will be solved and that their computers are in no danger . We are currently working on a fix and an update that will solve this issue will be released shortly .

Thank you .

Yes, Alex, I realize this now, but it took someone on the forum (not tech support) to point it out. I believe it was you I was emailing back and forth with over this problem and you never pointed this article out to me at that time, or explained the situation. You (or someone) finally did provide me with that fix of shutting down Security and WMI and removing Repository folder. That still didn't solve the problem as every time I'd turn on Spyware Doctor to do a scan the alert would come back. I had decided it was Spyware Doctor's fault and uninstalled that program, which I had paid for. At this point I no longer know if its related to BitDefender, Spyware Doctor or both, but since I quit using Spyware Doctor and switched to SUPERAntispyware I no longer have the problem.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Nikilet ,

The issue that you are referring is not the same with the current sittuation for which we have created an article . At that time , your received a warning under "Spyware and other malware protection " section from Windows Security Center , that Windows Defender and Spyware Doctor are turned off . There was no message that "BitDefender is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported " .These are different issues and the workaround that we have sent you , to delete the Repository folder , applied in that sittuation . Most probably this issue was related to Spyware Doctor but I cannot tell you for sure how this program interfered with Windows Security Center and why you got that warning .

Thank you .