Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

World Of Warcraft

Options

Hi,

I've been using BitDefender Antivirus 09 since about May, perhaps earlier, I don't quite remember.

On August 19th, Blizzard entertainment released a new patch for their game World of Warcraft. While trying to update the patch, BitDefender flagged some of the files as viruses and moved them to quarantine, which stopped the update from completing. I updated my virus definitions, and tried again - same result.

Posts from their forum leaders (the official 'Blue' posts, from the company) have stated belief that this is a false positive, though urge checking with the virus company. As I was unsure how to phrase this in a concise manner in a support email (which, I wasn't completely sure where to send anyway) I've posted here. Has there been an official information release on this topic?

Thanks from KarlD

Comments

• I'm a Bitdefender customer and I'm having the same problem downloading the World of Warcraft 3.2.0 patch. Bitdefender blocks it with the following message:

"Bitdefender has blocked multiple viruses.

Virus Name: Deepscan:Generic.PWS.WoW.CFE56CD3

The infected objects have been treated. Your computer is protected!"

There are a lot of annoyed and frustrated Bitdefender customers complaining at the WoW Forums and a tech from Blizzard Tech Support has said the the files are being incorrectly flagged as viruses and to contact the software vendor for assistance.

Link to WoW Forum thread:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...49708&sid=1

I've tried getting assistance from the Bitdefender Consumer Support website but it is no help at all.

HELP!

• Here's what I found on EU forums:

"BitDefender users that wish to disable the scanner and download the patch despite the alert, can do so as follows:

1. Open BitDefender

2. Click Switch to Advanced View

3. Select the Shield (antivirus) tab

4. Uncheck Realtime Protection is Enabled

5. Select the amount of time you wish to have realtime protection unloaded (depending on your Internet connection, the patch should download and install in under 10 minutes).

After unloading realtime protection, open the WoW launcher and the patch should download and install without further problems. BitDefender realtime protection should re-enable automatically by the elapsed time specified during step 4. If not, or you finish the update sooner than indicated, you can (and should) manually re-enable BitDefender realtime protection by following steps 1-3 above, then placing a check back in the Realtime Protection is Enabled checkbox."

It worked for me, as soon as I re-enabled Realtime Protection, BitDefender popped up a warning, but I was able to log on again, so all it did was probably prevent Blizzards program from sending through my computer specs. Hope this helps out until the BitDefender team marks this as harmless or figures out a way to make you install the patch...

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello all ,

The files detected as false positives are currently analyzed by my colleagues from the Virus Analysis team . We will post here the results as soon as we have an answer from them .

Thank you .

• The files detected as false positives are currently analyzed by my colleagues from the Virus Analysis team . We will post here the results as soon as we have an answer from them .

Any News about it?

(Same problem here with bitDefender Game Safe.)

• Any News about it?

(Same problem here with bitDefender Game Safe.)

Hey,

I ran a scan this morning, after BitDefender updated (both definition files, and a program update that required a restart of my comp.) and I am no longer getting a flag on this file, or anything similar.

I suppose the issue has been resolved?

Thanks from KarlD

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello KarlD ,

The issue was solved by removing the detection for this file . Please let us know if you encounter any other situations like this one.

Thank you .