Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Has My Computer In A Choke Hold! Somebody Help Before I Break Something!

I have two computers, both are P4's running XP Home Edition. I'm using BitDefender Internet Security 2009 which at times grinds to a complete halt and freezes - something always seems to be going on "behind the scenes" however I can't for the life of me figure out what is happening other than the CPU is typically pegged at nearly 100%. I had the 2008 version and was very happy, now, all I want to do (the majority of the time) is boot my laptop down the hill and throw my tower after it as a chaser!!! Slow, Slow, Slow......Freeze - the new story of my life. Anyone have any ideas?

Chris

Comments

• I have two computers, both are P4's running XP Home Edition. I'm using BitDefender Internet Security 2009 which at times grinds to a complete halt and freezes - something always seems to be going on "behind the scenes" however I can't for the life of me figure out what is happening other than the CPU is typically pegged at nearly 100%. I had the 2008 version and was very happy, now, all I want to do (the majority of the time) is boot my laptop down the hill and throw my tower after it as a chaser!!! Slow, Slow, Slow......Freeze - the new story of my life. Anyone have any ideas?

Chris

Hello Chris!

I understand that it can be frustrating at times. But first i need to ask that do u have any other AV, firewall, Windows tweaking or Encryption softwares, installed on ur computer. If yes then u need to properly uninstall themat first. Coz this seriously effects the performance of ur computer if u have more than one software.

After doing this i just want u to try to upgrade ur product and if u r successful then run a deep system scan and lets see if there are any malicious software part of ur system which can be making it slower as well. After u have upgraded to the latest virus definition and run deep system scan. Hopefully the error might be fixed. Tell me if u were not able to upgrade ur product i will try to guide u in that scenario.

According to ur computer specification there shud not be any problem with running BD 2009 on ur system.

But just as a quick recap at first these are few things u have to make sure:

1. Uninstall any other AV, firewall, Windows tweaking or Encryption softwares.

2. Upgrade ur BD product and run the deep system scan and to fix any errors

Regards,

Richard Jackson

• Greetings Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have any other programs loaded onto my computers and BD 2008 was removed using the suggested uninstall program at the BD 2009 upgrade page.

Did you mean Update or Upgrade?

If you meant Update; BD is configured to update and run daily on both computers with deep system scans performed regularly. These problems have been occurring since the install of BD 2009 and many deep scans have been performed without any mishap.

If you meant upgrade; I have 263 days left in my current subscription and expect the program I PAID for to work. If a program is broken I expect the manufacturer to fix it or refund my money. If a broken program is not fixed, reimbursed, or acknowledged, I will never upgrade it, EVER, period.

I apologize if I come across as rude, I'm simply at the breaking point of fighting with my computers to get them to perform basic functions.

Chris

• Hello Chris!

I understand that it can be frustrating at times.

Richard,

As for the performance: I and many others have experienced the same problems without using any other show stoppers. At some point I even tried to use BD in "gaming mode" to get my work done. Now I have this focus stealing problem which is VERY irritating and came around after I reinstalled the product (because it failed to upgrade itself). Now Bitdefender has succeeded in making itself number two in memory consumption and number one in CPU utilization... the list is endless...

I have used Antivirus software since 1990 and even written a small cleaner for one rare virus myself a long time ago but NEVER had such a bad product as Bitdefender 2009. Seriously. As of writing this message I lost the window focus once again and the workstation stopped responding for a few seconds when the vsserv.exe started doing something. (I have a dual-monitor system and now I had the Task Manager in display #2).

When a VERY experienced user like myself constantly stumbles onto problems with a procuct something must be terribly wrong.

It is evident that not all people suffer from the bad quality of software. I normally (re)start my computer maybe once in 3 weeks and that is why I can spot memory leaks and heap fragmentation in applications others may never see, Firefox being my top annoyance. And: no, I will not start rebooting my workstation on a daily basis because of a malfunctioning software like BitDefender.

Just an example: vsserv is comsuming 390+ MB of virtual memory as I am writing this message.

If this is not crap what is?

• :) seriously dude...

im just trying to help... in ur scenario i did some homework for u guys

and there are some patches available for ur problems but there are two guys who i see over here on this forum giving tech support ones name is ALEX n the other is DIANA

send them a msg im sure they will reply and would ask for a report first and then send u the appropriate patches

i wud had recommended u to upgrade to BD 2010 ver. but that one even requires more system requirements and is far more complexed coz as a AV its running three layers... bottom line if ur having probs wid 2009 then i wudnt recommend u 2 upgrade to latest one to fix ur probs coz it might be just some bugs in the software and u cudnt run the 2010 versions coz it needs more system requirements

1. U can msg ALEX or DIANA wid ur querries and let them find the fixes for ur specific probs

2. U need to see that how many processes are u running on ur comp wats ur cache(in easy words how many things u can run at one time) can handle. im sure MKN wud understand. In other words im sure it has something to do wid how many multiple process ur running. Since there are two layer is BD 2009. one is ur regular signature scanner n the other thing is called B-Have which makes virtual enviornment in ur computer in the backend. So its consuming ur cpu but u have no idea why...

So my friend if as ur using BD 2009 just send a message to those n im sure they will do their job well

Regard,

Richard Jackson

• Hello cklimen,

As Richard said, we can determine what exactly is causing this issue and provide you some help in this direction . A ticket ID was created for you :200909011010529 and we have sent you an email that will help you provide us some reports that will be generated on your system .

As you said in your last post, you have 263 days left from your subscription. That is why we want to ask you, when did you encounter these issues ? Was it after you installed a particular program, after a Windows update or simply it start happening without you making any changes on your system ?

Thank you .

• Hello cklimen,

As Richard said, we can determine what exactly is causing this issue and provide you some help in this direction . A ticket ID was created for you :200909011010529 and we have sent you an email that will help you provide us some reports that will be generated on your system .

As you said in your last post, you have 263 days left from your subscription. That is why we want to ask you, when did you encounter these issues ? Was it after you installed a particular program, after a Windows update or simply it start happening without you making any changes on your system ?

Thank you .

Greetings Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

After posting yesterday, I email Tech support @ BD.com and was given a link to upgrade to BD 2010.

My question to you is; should I go ahead and upgrade to BD 2010 or try and fix BD 2009 with you? Richards comments above discouraging the upgrade concern me. Any comments?

BTW - The slowdown and other issues began immediately after my upgrade to BD 2009 and have gotten progressively worse. Until this point I have just muddled through the issues with the intent of contacting you folks when I had the opportunity. Now, it appears the "opportunity" has been forced upon me as I frequently (and with increasing frequency) find myself wanting to punch my monitor and punt my tower down the hill from my balcony. Again, just frustrated venting, I know you guys can't anticipate every possible installation scenario and problems are bound to occur.

Thanks Again,

Chris

• Hello cklimen,

There were some customers who encountered different issues after they upgraded to BitDefender 2010 and that is why, we would like you send us a diagnose report before performing this action, so that we can tell you if the upgrade is safe.

Normally, there should not be any problems after you switch to BitDefender 2010. We had numerous positive feedbacks in this direction because most of the issues that were reproducing with BitDefender 2009 were solved in our new version .

We are looking forward to your reply .

Thank you .